Headset Binding

Budman

Guest
I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The installation went well. Everything seemed
to be turning ok, now after the bar and stem are installed the thing binds up when its turned a few
degrees left or right. I what did I do wrong and how to fix it?

In article <[email protected]>, BudMan <[email protected]> wrote:
>I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The installation went well. Everything
>seemed to be turning ok, now after the bar and stem are installed the thing binds up when its
>turned a few degrees left or right. I what did I do wrong and how to fix it?

Probably something is not quite straight, most likely a cup or crown race is not seated flat. Also
possible you need head tube facing but misinstallation is much more likely. Bright light is the best
way to see a gap between head tube and cup. For a crown race you can usually tell by feel when
you're really done hammering it on. Mixing up bearings and seals or their orientation can also cause
binding in some headsets (eg, top bearing may not be same as bottom).

--Paul

"BudMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The installation went well. Everything
> seemed to be turning ok, now after the bar and stem are installed the thing binds up when its
> turned a few degrees left or right. I what did I do wrong and how to fix it?

Is this the new Cane Creek IS headset?

"BudMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The installation went well. Everything
> seemed to be turning ok, now after the bar and stem are installed the thing binds up when its
> turned a few degrees left or right. I what did I do wrong and how to fix it?

Is this the new Cane Creek IS headset?

(sorry if it sent twice)

"What?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> "BudMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The installation went well. Everything
> > seemed to be turning ok, now after the bar and
stem
> > are installed the thing binds up when its turned a few degrees left or right. I what did I do
> > wrong and how to fix it?
> >
> Is this the new Cane Creek IS headset?
>
> (sorry if it sent twice)

What?

"Don DeMair" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "What?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > "BudMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The
installation
> > > went well. Everything seemed to be turning ok, now after the bar and
> stem
> > > are installed the thing binds up when its turned a few degrees left or right. I what did I do
> > > wrong and how to fix it?
> > >
> > Is this the new Cane Creek IS headset?
> >
> > (sorry if it sent twice)
> >

> What?

Cane Creek IS = Integrated System

The Integrated System (IS) design utilizes no bearing cups and requires a carefully machined head
tube to specific bearing interface dimensions. The Integrated System design is extremely dependant
upon frame quality and finishing, and is very sensitive to frame, fork and stem tolerances.

Litespeed has made this standard on their newer models.

This clear things up Don?

> I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The installation went well. Everything
> seemed to be turning ok, now after the bar and stem are installed the thing binds up when its
> turned a few degrees left or right. I what did I do wrong and how to fix it?

A threadless stem that's not "faced" properly (completely square top and bottom) can cause this
problem. Try flipping the stem over and see if anything changes... if it does, then you know it's
the stem. If not, it still could possibly be the stem, if both sides aren't square. This is a
longshot, but it does happen once in a while.

> Cane Creek IS = Integrated System
>
> The Integrated System (IS) design utilizes no bearing cups and requires a carefully machined head
> tube to specific bearing interface dimensions. The Integrated System design is extremely dependant
> upon frame quality and finishing, and is very sensitive to frame, fork and stem tolerances.
>
> Litespeed has made this standard on their newer models.
>
> This clear things up Don?

Thanks.

budman-<< I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed >><BR><BR> << Everything seemed to
be turning ok, now after the bar and stem are installed the thing binds up when its turned a few
degrees left or right. I what did I do wrong and how to fix it?

ya adjusted the HS-yes? Sounds like ya just put it all together but didn't adjust the HS.

news:<[email protected]>...
> > I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The installation went well. Everything
> > seemed to be turning ok, now after the bar and stem are installed the thing binds up when its
> > turned a few degrees left or right. I what did I do wrong and how to fix it?

Here is my take, my experience with threadless setups (only a few) is, during adjustments, when you
tighten it tightens but when think you have loosen it, it hasn't. Loosen the stem bolts, tap the
steerer down a bit (careful not to do damage to the expander plug or worst, the carbon steerer), and
re-tighten slowly until right. It should take a few tries. I prefer a slightly tighter setting when
done. I hear Shimano threadless headset is much better (if we ever get them).

[email protected] (Richard Chan) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I hear Shimano threadless headset is much better (if we ever get them).

Is this a 2004 thing? The last I heard, Shimano DOES NOT have a threadless headset because it
doesn't want to pay royalties to Dia-compe...