Headset Binding

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Budman, Feb 9, 2003.

  1. Budman

    Budman Guest

    I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The installation went well. Everything seemed
    to be turning ok, now after the bar and stem are installed the thing binds up when its turned a few
    degrees left or right. I what did I do wrong and how to fix it?

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, BudMan <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The installation went well. Everything
    >seemed to be turning ok, now after the bar and stem are installed the thing binds up when its
    >turned a few degrees left or right. I what did I do wrong and how to fix it?

    Probably something is not quite straight, most likely a cup or crown race is not seated flat. Also
    possible you need head tube facing but misinstallation is much more likely. Bright light is the best
    way to see a gap between head tube and cup. For a crown race you can usually tell by feel when
    you're really done hammering it on. Mixing up bearings and seals or their orientation can also cause
    binding in some headsets (eg, top bearing may not be same as bottom).

    --Paul

  3. What?

    What? Guest

    "BudMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The installation went well. Everything
    > seemed to be turning ok, now after the bar and stem are installed the thing binds up when its
    > turned a few degrees left or right. I what did I do wrong and how to fix it?

    Is this the new Cane Creek IS headset?

  4. What?

    What? Guest

    "BudMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The installation went well. Everything
    > seemed to be turning ok, now after the bar and stem are installed the thing binds up when its
    > turned a few degrees left or right. I what did I do wrong and how to fix it?

    Is this the new Cane Creek IS headset?

    (sorry if it sent twice)

  5. Don Demair

    Don Demair Guest

    "What?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "BudMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The installation went well. Everything
    > > seemed to be turning ok, now after the bar and
    stem
    > > are installed the thing binds up when its turned a few degrees left or right. I what did I do
    > > wrong and how to fix it?
    > >
    > Is this the new Cane Creek IS headset?
    >
    > (sorry if it sent twice)

    What?

  6. "Don DeMair" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "What?" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "BudMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The
    installation
    > > > went well. Everything seemed to be turning ok, now after the bar and
    > stem
    > > > are installed the thing binds up when its turned a few degrees left or right. I what did I do
    > > > wrong and how to fix it?
    > > >
    > > Is this the new Cane Creek IS headset?
    > >
    > > (sorry if it sent twice)
    > >

    > What?

    Cane Creek IS = Integrated System

    The Integrated System (IS) design utilizes no bearing cups and requires a carefully machined head
    tube to specific bearing interface dimensions. The Integrated System design is extremely dependant
    upon frame quality and finishing, and is very sensitive to frame, fork and stem tolerances.

    Litespeed has made this standard on their newer models.

    This clear things up Don?

  7. > I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The installation went well. Everything
    > seemed to be turning ok, now after the bar and stem are installed the thing binds up when its
    > turned a few degrees left or right. I what did I do wrong and how to fix it?

    A threadless stem that's not "faced" properly (completely square top and bottom) can cause this
    problem. Try flipping the stem over and see if anything changes... if it does, then you know it's
    the stem. If not, it still could possibly be the stem, if both sides aren't square. This is a
    longshot, but it does happen once in a while.

  8. Don Demair

    Don Demair Guest

    > Cane Creek IS = Integrated System
    >
    > The Integrated System (IS) design utilizes no bearing cups and requires a carefully machined head
    > tube to specific bearing interface dimensions. The Integrated System design is extremely dependant
    > upon frame quality and finishing, and is very sensitive to frame, fork and stem tolerances.
    >
    > Litespeed has made this standard on their newer models.
    >
    > This clear things up Don?

    Thanks.

  9. budman-<< I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed >><BR><BR> << Everything seemed to
    be turning ok, now after the bar and stem are installed the thing binds up when its turned a few
    degrees left or right. I what did I do wrong and how to fix it?

    ya adjusted the HS-yes? Sounds like ya just put it all together but didn't adjust the HS.

  10. Richard Chan

    Richard Chan Guest

    > > I just installed a threadless headset on my litespeed. The installation went well. Everything
    > > seemed to be turning ok, now after the bar and stem are installed the thing binds up when its
    > > turned a few degrees left or right. I what did I do wrong and how to fix it?

    Here is my take, my experience with threadless setups (only a few) is, during adjustments, when you
    tighten it tightens but when think you have loosen it, it hasn't. Loosen the stem bolts, tap the
    steerer down a bit (careful not to do damage to the expander plug or worst, the carbon steerer), and
    re-tighten slowly until right. It should take a few tries. I prefer a slightly tighter setting when
    done. I hear Shimano threadless headset is much better (if we ever get them).

  11. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    [email protected] (Richard Chan) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I hear Shimano threadless headset is much better (if we ever get them).

    Is this a 2004 thing? The last I heard, Shimano DOES NOT have a threadless headset because it
    doesn't want to pay royalties to Dia-compe...