headset brinelling / fewer ball bearings

I was trained in mechanic school that the grease should be applied liberally as to not allow air/water into the bearing. When it oozes out after assembly then there was enough. More grease will not induce drag, too little will.

Conniebiker said:
I was trained in mechanic school that the grease should be applied liberally as to not allow air/water into the bearing. When it oozes out after assembly then there was enough. More grease will not induce drag, too little will.
That means you should fill a cup and ball BB shell clear full and, then how far up the seaattube, downtube and into the stays?

Knew balls were missing when there was a gap obviously large enough for another BB. These are cup/cone, so cartridge issues don't apply. Yeah, I think we're on the same page as for grease quantity recommendations. Was thinking you had heard something contrary to what you've stated. I seriously, seriously doubt that extra grease would provide more drag in the context of its use (mass of BBs, mass of weight supported, rotational force under interest). More grease seems like it would present a better barrier to "interested" water than not.

dhk said:
only general guidelines to use a layer in the cups so the balls are about 1/2 covered when they are pressed into the grease. My guess is that many people overpack the bearings with grease, resulting in more drag in the hub spaced via retainers.

jasong said:
Knew balls were missing when there was a gap obviously large enough for another BB. These are cup/cone, so cartridge issues don't apply. Yeah, I think we're on the same page as for grease quantity recommendations. Was thinking you had heard something contrary to what you've stated. I seriously, seriously doubt that extra grease would provide more drag in the context of its use (mass of BBs, mass of weight supported, rotational force under interest). More grease seems like it would present a better barrier to "interested" water than not.

Sorry to resurrect this but what you are saying about missing balls is not necessarily true. Shimano hubs are designed to have 9 ball bearings at the front and 10 at the rear (I think). This leaves a little bit of space into which it is possible to fit an extra bearing. This is a deliberate design that is intended to ensure that there is a period in which the bearings are unloaded which increases the wear life of said bearing. Follow shimano's instructions and you will be fine. Don't put the extra bearing in.