Headset Compatability: Chris King vs ?

(Pete Cresswell)

Guest
I've already got Chris King.

Getting another bike.

Would like to have a headset such that I can swap forks
between bikes in a pinch.

Don't see a lot of Chris King's out there any more.

I'm guessing it's just the shape of the race that gets
put on the fork.

Do any other brands use the same race? House brands
like NashBar, Topo?
--
PeteCresswell

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I've already got Chris King.
>
> Getting another bike.
>
> Would like to have a headset such that I can swap forks
> between bikes in a pinch.
>
> Don't see a lot of Chris King's out there any more.
>
> I'm guessing it's just the shape of the race that gets
> put on the fork.
>
> Do any other brands use the same race? House brands
> like NashBar, Topo?

Different base plate. You can buy Chris King base plates/crown races
from most shops for your second fork, $12 or so.

Greg

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've already got Chris King.
>
> Getting another bike.
>
> Would like to have a headset such that I can swap forks
> between bikes in a pinch.
>
> Don't see a lot of Chris King's out there any more.
>
> I'm guessing it's just the shape of the race that gets
> put on the fork.
>
> Do any other brands use the same race? House brands
> like NashBar, Topo?
> --
> PeteCresswell

What do you mean by you don't see a lot of them out there anymore? I've
got one coming from Curtlo with a frame that's supposed to be delivered this
week. And my buddy got one on the Serotta hardtail he got several weeks
ago. I believe he ordered his from Cambria Bike. I see them listed at
plenty of other online retailers too.

I know Chris King was trying to tighten up the distribution of their stuff
in an attempt to control discounting. This made them a bit more difficult
to get for a while but they seem to be available now.

G.T. wrote:

> Different base plate. You can buy Chris King base plates/crown races
> from most shops for your second fork, $12 or so.
>
> Greg

Heck, I have a ziploc bag full of the damned things. Gimme $5 and I'll
mail you one.

Miles

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Don't see a lot of Chris King's out there any more.

Are you on Mars?

> Do any other brands use the same race? House brands
> like NashBar, Topo?

King is the King of headsets. Buy **** and get ****. After running a
CK on my SS with rigid forks for over 4 years now and not having to
jack around with the headset at all ever, why buy any other headset or
try to substitute **** parts? You are only asking for trouble, so
send Miles $5 now.

JD

> ...Chris King was trying to tighten up the distribution of their stuff
> in an attempt to control discounting.

Another reason to buy another brand....

[email protected] (PeteCresswell) wrote:

>> ...Chris King was trying to tighten up the distribution of their stuff
>> in an attempt to control discounting.

>Another reason to buy another brand....

That's what I did.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame

> Heck, I have a ziploc bag full of the damned things. Gimme $5 and I'll
> mail you one.

Flip a U.S. mail address to 20040520.fatbelly.cotse.net.

I'll mail you twenty bucks for 4.

"(Pete Cresswell)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've already got Chris King.
>
> Getting another bike.
>
> Would like to have a headset such that I can swap forks
> between bikes in a pinch.
>
> Don't see a lot of Chris King's out there any more.
>
> I'm guessing it's just the shape of the race that gets
> put on the fork.
>
> Do any other brands use the same race? House brands
> like NashBar, Topo?
> --
> PeteCresswell

Peter,

This thread has lost me. Will you have CK headsets on both bikes, or are
you looking to use another brand with a CK lower race?

I assumed that you'd like to have a different brand of headset which would
use a CK lower race.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

On Mon, 10 May 2004 13:10:50 -0700, PeteCresswell wrote:

> Flip a U.S. mail address to 20040520.fatbelly.cotse.net.

Church of the swimming elephant?

"PeteCresswell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > ...Chris King was trying to tighten up the distribution of their stuff
> > in an attempt to control discounting.

> Another reason to buy another brand....

Let me know how long those other brands last for you. I've got a CK headset
from about 1997 that's been through two owners and three frames already and
is still going strong. I won't begrudge the company $10-20 more for a
product that more than lives up to it's reputation

Another reason Chris King is trying to tighten up distribution of their
stuff is to make sure that they get installed properly . I guess too many
people were buying them through on-line discounters, messing up the
installation and then expecting CK to replace things under warranty.

PeteCresswell wrote:

>>Heck, I have a ziploc bag full of the damned things. Gimme $5 and I'll
>>mail you one.

> Flip a U.S. mail address to 20040520.fatbelly.cotse.net.
>
> I'll mail you twenty bucks for 4.

That doesn't look like an email address to me... but maybe I'm just not
seeing the @ for some reason...

Miles (All 1 1/8"?)

RE/
>That doesn't look like an email address to me... but maybe I'm just not
>seeing the @ for some reason...

RCI by Yours Truly. SB [email protected]
--
PeteCresswell

RE/

>This thread has lost me. Will you have CK headsets on both bikes, or are
>you looking to use another brand with a CK lower race?
>
>I assumed that you'd like to have a different brand of headset which would
>use a CK lower race.

I've got CK on two bikes. Got one frame laying in the corner with no headset.
Soon gonna have a fourth frame - replacement for my FS.

What I'd like is fork interchangability among all 4 frames - without migrating
headsets.
--

http://www.cambriabike.com/head_sets/chris_king_base_plate_crown_race.htm