headset fusing with a Titanium frame ???!!!

Adam-from-SLO

Nov 30, 2003
Hello All,
Has anyone experienced a headset being perminitly fused onto a Titanium frame ? If Ti. prep is properly/gingerly applied, this should not happen. Just checking, because I have a Ti. frame that was built up towards the end of 1997 , that was not assembled by myself...... so I'm not sure how much / if any Ti. prep was used on the head-tube. Its going on 9 years the Record headset has been on...... still rolls fine, but I'm wanting to remove it this spring... and check it out !

Thanks in Advance.

Adam-from-SLO said:
Hello All,
Has anyone experienced a headset being perminitly fused onto a Titanium frame ? If Ti. prep is properly/gingerly applied, this should not happen. Just checking, because I have a Ti. frame that was built up towards the end of 1997 , that was not assembled by myself...... so I'm not sure how much / if any Ti. prep was used on the head-tube. Its going on 9 years the Record headset has been on...... still rolls fine, but I'm wanting to remove it this spring... and check it out !

Thanks in Advance.
I didn't bother using any on mine. The fit between the headset and the tube is so tight that I don't think any of the anti sieze would have stayed on the interface anyway. I haven't tried to take it out though. If the headset is siezed, you should still be able to get the it out. Might be game over for the headset though.

Adam-from-SLO said:
Hello All,

Thanks in Advance.

If all is still working well, why take it out?

John M said:
If all is still working well, why take it out?

I think if a bike is nearly 13 year old it might be prudent to do a bearing inspection in the headset. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, they say. Since people use their bikes over a wide range of frequency and in a wide range of environmental conditions and ride conditions there is no rule of thumb concerning when you should inspect bearing areas such as the headset.

Insight Driver said:
I think if a bike is nearly 13 year old it might be prudent to do a bearing inspection in the headset. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, they say. Since people use their bikes over a wide range of frequency and in a wide range of environmental conditions and ride conditions there is no rule of thumb concerning when you should inspect bearing areas such as the headset.
You don't need to take a headset out of the frame to inspect the bearings.

Insight Driver said:

I agree with doing a bearing inspection and appropriate overhaul when indicated, but that doesn't require removing the races from the frame. I was not proposing ignoring the headset, but suggesting that it need not be removed from the frame for inspection/servicing if it is indeed functioning properly.