headset fusing with a Titanium frame ???!!!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Adam-from-SLO, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Hello All,
    Has anyone experienced a headset being perminitly fused onto a Titanium frame ? If Ti. prep is properly/gingerly applied, this should not happen. Just checking, because I have a Ti. frame that was built up towards the end of 1997 , that was not assembled by myself...... so I'm not sure how much / if any Ti. prep was used on the head-tube. Its going on 9 years the Record headset has been on...... still rolls fine, but I'm wanting to remove it this spring... and check it out !

Thanks in Advance.

Tags:

2. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

I didn't bother using any on mine. The fit between the headset and the tube is so tight that I don't think any of the anti sieze would have stayed on the interface anyway. I haven't tried to take it out though. If the headset is siezed, you should still be able to get the it out. Might be game over for the headset though.

3. John M

John M New Member

If all is still working well, why take it out?

4. Insight Driver

Insight Driver New Member

I think if a bike is nearly 13 year old it might be prudent to do a bearing inspection in the headset. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, they say. Since people use their bikes over a wide range of frequency and in a wide range of environmental conditions and ride conditions there is no rule of thumb concerning when you should inspect bearing areas such as the headset.

5. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

You don't need to take a headset out of the frame to inspect the bearings.

6. John M

John M New Member

I agree with doing a bearing inspection and appropriate overhaul when indicated, but that doesn't require removing the races from the frame. I was not proposing ignoring the headset, but suggesting that it need not be removed from the frame for inspection/servicing if it is indeed functioning properly.