Headset Help for Trek 820

TKOS

Oct 6, 2004
I have an older Trerk 820 that i bought used a few years back. I don't know the exact year but it is probably from the early to mid 1990's and has no shocks, cro-molly frame, sram shifters, etc...

Anyway the headset has started to creak recently and obviously has a favoured spot so I figured it is time to do a little repair work. But I was hoping to find a place that might list what sort of headset I need to order to do the work. I can get stuff a little cheaper through mail order than at the bike shop, but I don't know what size headset I will need.

Thanks for any help.

If it's threaded, you can check the size by measuring the diameter of the stem It's 7/8" for 1" and 1" for 1 1/8". If it's threadless, take the top cap off of the stem and measure the sterrer tube directly.

TKOS said:
I have an older Trerk 820 that i bought used a few years back. I don't know the exact year but it is probably from the early to mid 1990's and has no shocks, cro-molly frame, sram shifters, etc...

Anyway the headset has started to creak recently and obviously has a favoured spot so I figured it is time to do a little repair work. But I was hoping to find a place that might list what sort of headset I need to order to do the work. I can get stuff a little cheaper through mail order than at the bike shop, but I don't know what size headset I will need.

Thanks for any help.

Unless you know what you are doing, headset change is one of the jobs best left to your shop. Yes, you may buy the part cheaper through mail order, but it is not a bargain if you damage the frame or the fork while trying to remove the old one or putting the new one in. The specialized tools that the shop owns make the job much easier and safer.

John M said:
Unless you know what you are doing, headset change is one of the jobs best left to your shop. Yes, you may buy the part cheaper through mail order, but it is not a bargain if you damage the frame or the fork while trying to remove the old one or putting the new one in. The specialized tools that the shop owns make the job much easier and safer.
Not much damage you can do to an old trek 820.That's the kind of junk that is best to learn on.

artmichalek said:
If it's threaded, you can check the size by measuring the diameter of the stem It's 7/8" for 1" and 1" for 1 1/8". If it's threadless, take the top cap off of the stem and measure the sterrer tube directly.
More than likely a 1 1/8" threaded. 1" were mostly reserved for road bikes back then and Aheadsets only went on pricier bikes at the time.

shannons dad said:
More than likely a 1 1/8" threaded. 1" were mostly reserved for road bikes back then and Aheadsets only went on pricier bikes at the time.
Just more BS....One measurement is worth 1000 guesses or a bargeload of hooey.

boudreaux said:
Just more BS....One measurement is worth 1000 guesses or a bargeload of hooey.
BS? You being an obvious expert on the subject!:D The 1998 model had a 1 1/8" Victor VP-H97W THREADED headset. It's safe to assume earier models had similar specs. Shove it up your **** boudreaux, sideways and ungreased!:p

John M said:
I feel confident I can do this, but thanks for the concern. I managed to build a wheel last year that works great even though I was told it was "best left to the LBS." The 820 is a great commuter bike (until they added shocks).

Thanks for the replies, and the great arguements that only a headset question can bring. :)

shannons dad said:
BS? You being an obvious expert on the subject!:D The 1998 model had a 1 1/8" Victor VP-H97W THREADED headset. It's safe to assume earier models had similar specs.
Earlier were 1".

shannons dad said:
It's safe to assume earier models had similar specs.
Assumptions like that are never safe. If companies didn't change specs weekly, they would never sell new bikes.

artmichalek said:
Assumptions like that are never safe. If companies didn't change specs weekly, they would never sell new bikes.
I was referring to the size and type, not the manufacturer.