Headset heresy

David M. Grey

Guest
I am building up a 95 Schwinn Homegrown as a beater bike for use around town. Is there any reason
why I can't install the headset bearing cups by carfully banging them into place with a piece of
wood and rubber mallet.

I know that conventional wisdom says use a headset press, but I am not sure why? Thanks.

--
[email protected]

You don't need a headset press, but you also shouldn't pound on them with a rubber mallet either.
The cups need to be pressed in very evenly, which is hard to do without supporting everything. If
the headset begins to go in at an angle, you can damage the headtube (by making it oblong).

But there's a simple fix. Use two blocks of wood (maybe 1 by 4s) and either a c-clamp or a vise. Put
one block over the bare headtube end, and the other on top of the cup that you're pressing into the
frame. Then slowly tighten the c-clamp or vise, watching to make sure that it's going in straight.
If it really fights you, use the rubber mallet to tap on the block (the one over the cup being
installed).

"David M. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am building up a 95 Schwinn Homegrown as a beater bike for use around town. Is there any reason
> why I can't install the headset bearing cups by carfully banging them into place with a piece of
> wood and rubber mallet.
>
> I know that conventional wisdom says use a headset press, but I am not
sure
> why? Thanks.
>
> --
> [email protected]

You can make a homemade press with a bolt that is long enough to pass through two blocks of wood
with a few washers to keep them from pulling through. Works great. :)

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> You don't need a headset press, but you also shouldn't pound on them with a rubber mallet either.
> The cups need to be pressed in very evenly, which is hard to do without supporting everything. If
> the headset begins to go in at an angle, you can damage the headtube (by making it oblong).

Let me add. Sometimes I have found the fit a tad too tight, so it was necessary to file off some
metal beforehand.

> But there's a simple fix. Use two blocks of wood (maybe 1 by 4s) and either a c-clamp or a vise.

Wish I had such a huge vise!, a C-clamp I would say. That's my own way of doing the job, being an
amateur cabinet maker it was an easy guess.

Sergio Pisa

David M. Grey <[email protected]> wrote:
> I am building up a 95 Schwinn Homegrown as a beater bike for use around town. Is there any reason
> why I can't install the headset bearing cups by carfully banging them into place with a piece of
> wood and rubber mallet.

Use a threaded rod with hefty washers and nuts at each end. I bought such a device from Nashbar many
years ago, and it works fine. You can easily make your own. Make sure the frame is properly prepped.

Art Harris

"Mark Wolfe" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You can make a homemade press with a bolt that is long enough to pass through two blocks of wood
> with a few washers to keep them from pulling through. Works great. :)

Friend of mine did that. Says it works great. I prefer the Park press at the LBS. Costs me a 6-pack
of beer each time, but it beats buying a $125 tool! That's not quite 21 presses before the tool is
saving me money. I've gone through 5-6 so far...

Mike

> Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
>
> > You don't need a headset press, but you also shouldn't pound on them
with
> > a rubber mallet either. The cups need to be pressed in very evenly, which is hard to do without
> > supporting everything. If the headset begins to go
in
> > at an angle, you can damage the headtube (by making it oblong).
> >
> > But there's a simple fix. Use two blocks of wood (maybe 1 by 4s) and either a c-clamp or a vise.
> > Put one block over the bare headtube end, and the other on top of the cup that you're pressing
> > into the frame. Then
slowly
> > tighten the c-clamp or vise, watching to make sure that it's going in straight. If it really
> > fights you, use the rubber mallet to tap on the block (the one over the cup being installed).
> >
> > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
> >

> > "David M. Grey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> I am building up a 95 Schwinn Homegrown as a beater bike for use around town. Is there any
> >> reason why I can't install the headset bearing cups by carfully banging them into place with a
> >> piece of wood and rubber mallet.
> >>
> >> I know that conventional wisdom says use a headset press, but I am not
> > sure
> >> why? Thanks.
> >>
> >> --
> >> [email protected]

Mark Wolfe <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> You can make a homemade press with a bolt that is long enough to pass through two blocks of wood
> with a few washers to keep them from pulling through. Works great. :)

i hear this all the time.. so i made one. when i tried to press my first set of cups with this set
up, the first one went in like butter, true and easy, the second one wouldnt go in straight no
matter what i
did. so i ended up tapping it in with a block of wood and a hammer. it took forever, becuawe i did
it in such small increments so as not to risk an oblong set, but it works dandy. the headset
bolt-nut-washer press would work perfectly if i had some spacer inside the steering column to
hold the bolt centered. everytime the bolt got even the slightets bit off center, it would then
press the cup in off center. next time, ill just turn myself a couple spacers on a lathe, five
minutes work, but do know- its not infallible with just a fat bolt for a headset press!

(personally, i think the wood block method, if you are careful and judicious and Slooooow will
provide results as good and as damage-free as any.)

anthony

On 3 Mar 2003, ant wrote:
> true and easy, the second one wouldnt go in straight no matter what i
> did. so i ended up tapping it in with a block of wood and a hammer. it took forever, becuawe i did
> it in such small increments so as not to risk an oblong set, but it works dandy.

In such cases I prefer to (judiciously) use a file to improve the fit. It has to be tight, but
not so tight.

Sergio Pisa

"Sergio SERVADIO" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> On 3 Mar 2003, ant wrote:
> > true and easy, the second one wouldnt go in straight no matter what i
> > did. so i ended up tapping it in with a block of wood and a hammer. it took forever, becuawe i
> > did it in such small increments so as not to risk an oblong set, but it works dandy.
>
> In such cases I prefer to (judiciously) use a file to improve the fit. It has to be tight, but not
> so tight.

Yes, that would work, I suppose.

Campagnolo "GO-NOGO" gauges are the right tool, followed up with the appropriate mill if indicated.
This is trivially quick at any competent LBS.

I read here frequently about clever and time-consuming work-arounds to shop installation. Personally
I view this like home engine assembly. Even the practical man send out the valve grinding and things
of that nature. The service charge is small, the tool cost is high and there's no reward for
suffering.

OTOH I have corresponded recently with another r.b.t. afficionado whose tales of his LBS's
incompetence, rudeness and ignorance would lead one to go to great lengths to avoid them.

>I am building up a 95 Schwinn Homegrown as a beater bike for use around town. Is there any reason
>why I can't install the headset bearing cups by carfully banging them into place with a piece of
>wood and rubber mallet.

I've done this a few times before I got my threaded rod and washer head set press. It works, but you
need to be carefull.

>I know that conventional wisdom says use a headset press, but I am not sure why? Thanks.

It is faster and there is less chance of damaging the headset.