Headset installation

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Robert Strickla, May 13, 2003.

  1. I've noticed lately that the headset on my commuter is "indexed" (it's a pretty old and cheap
    headset) so I picked up a new one online at a good price (thanks Ebay). Now I'm wondering, since I
    don't have the tools necessary, if it's considered rude to ask my LBS to install it? Also what
    should I expect to pay for such job? Thanks in advance.

    Rob Strickland

    Tags:

  2. Robert-<< so I picked up a new one online at a good price (thanks Ebay). Now I'm wondering, since I
    don't have the tools necessary, if it's considered rude to ask my LBS to install it?

    Not at ours but expect to pay a fair price for the service.

    If the frameset didn't need to be faced, we would charge $15.

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Tue, 13 May 2003 12:43:59 +0200, "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've noticed lately that the headset on my commuter is "indexed" (it's a pretty old and cheap
    >headset) so I picked up a new one online at a good price (thanks Ebay). Now I'm wondering, since I
    >don't have the tools necessary, if it's considered rude to ask my LBS to install it? Also what
    >should I expect to pay for such job? Thanks in advance.

    Before I made my $3 headset press, my LBS charged me $10 to press in a new headset. I brought the
    bicycle in totally ready for them to just press the headset in. I think $10 is inexpensive and $20 a
    fair price.

  4. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    From: g.daniels ([email protected]) Subject: Re: DIY cable /bike luber From: g.daniels
    ([email protected]) Subject: Re: DIY cable /bike luber

    View this article only Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech Date: 2003-03-04 13:21:07 PST

    The cited above specific writing in austo-european Urdu gives a basic uncyrption of headset repair.
    remove the race with a machete after heating-the race not the machete. just tap the machete(on the
    dull side) with a hardwood block or failing that, a freakin hammer. then tapthe other side. donut
    jam the race onto the fork while removing the race. do it gradually. as for the loose race-maybe
    their are two three choices:return the race for one that sizes correctly, "throw it away" and get
    another,change the fork. Locktite produces a slip fit enhancer allowing all kinds of unbearable
    tolerance screwups depending on the mishape, load, weather, and the time and geography of
    manufacture. Try the locktite, see the NAPA man for advice and fresh formulation and prices as
    reliable as what you read here. bring the bike over and grovel.

  5. Gary Young

    Gary Young Guest

    "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've noticed lately that the headset on my commuter is "indexed" (it's a pretty old and cheap
    > headset) so I picked up a new one online at a good price (thanks Ebay). Now I'm wondering, since I
    > don't have the tools necessary, if it's considered rude to ask my LBS to install it? Also what
    > should I expect to pay for such job? Thanks in advance.

    The last time I had a shop replace a headset, I was told that the labor would be $5 higher if I
    brought in my own headset. The total labor cost was about $30, but that was in high-cost Manhattan,
    and may not be a good guide to what's charged elsewhere.

  6. Ant

    Ant Guest

    "Robert Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've noticed lately that the headset on my commuter is "indexed" (it's a pretty old and cheap
    > headset) so I picked up a new one online at a good price (thanks Ebay). Now I'm wondering, since I
    > don't have the tools necessary, if it's considered rude to ask my LBS to install it? Also what
    > should I expect to pay for such job? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Rob Strickland

    you can do it yourself if you take care, and make sure the cups are an appropriate size for your
    frame. if you're interested, search the google archives. lots of info on this.

    cheers, anthony