headset Intergrated replacement with non

Philthy

Guest
Hi, I've got a frame kicking about the I'm building up at the moment. Only thing I don't like is
it's got an intergrated headset (OEM manufactured for Cane Creek by Zoom YUK..) Anyway I want this
out & a decent A-headset installed. Since I don't have the tools for this (Headset press I think it
is?) I was gonna take it to the local shop. Anyway so I like to know the process so I know whether
I'm being ripped off on the price for the work. Is it just a case of removing the integated cups
(For it is this type!) & pressing in a new headset or will they need to do any facing, the frame is
in excellent condition. OR could i do this myself?? Also will the height of the new headset make my
steerer tube too short now (More expense :-( Thanks Phil

On further examination this looks like it could be a Zero Stack headset, as there are low level
black aluminium cups on the top & bottom of the tube. PHil

"Philthy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I've got a frame kicking about the I'm building up at the moment. Only
thing
> I don't like is it's got an intergrated headset (OEM manufactured for Cane Creek by Zoom YUK..)
> Anyway I want this out & a decent A-headset
installed.
> Since I don't have the tools for this (Headset press I think it is?) I was gonna take it to the
> local shop. Anyway so I like to know the process so I know whether I'm being
ripped
> off on the price for the work. Is it just a case of removing the integated cups (For it is this
> type!) & pressing in a new headset or will they need to do any facing, the frame is in excellent
> condition. OR could i do this myself?? Also will the height of the new headset make my steerer
> tube too short now (More expense :-( Thanks Phil

In <[email protected]>, "Philthy" <[email protected]> opined:

> Is it just a case of removing the integated cups (For it is this type!) &

You can't switch types - at least not without serious machine shop work.

But if it has cups it's not an inteGRATED headset, it's an inteRNAL one (or a classic threadless
one), and those are supposed to be okay...

--
Dave Salovesh [email protected]

Dave Salovesh wrote:

> In <[email protected]>, "Philthy" <[email protected]> opined:
>

>>Is it just a case of removing the integated cups (For it is this type!) &
>

> You can't switch types - at least not without serious machine shop work.
>
> But if it has cups it's not an inteGRATED headset, it's an inteRNAL one (or a classic threadless
> one), and those are supposed to be okay...

You could take a look through the Chris King website. They have a piece explaining and clarifing the
different types and which can be interchanged.... I'd give you a better link but I for some reason
can't access the INternet only my local news and mail serers... hhmmmmmmmmmmmmm