Headset lock nut wrench needed?

sam218

Sep 6, 2004
I have 2 questions: Park sells a locknut wrench (for threaded headset).
Is this a good tool to have? Also, the torque specs are about 140-180 in pounds.
How do I know I have tightened it to such a spec or to the correct tightness?

I resisted buying one for years, but I eventually gave in, and it's been VERY useful.

Also, some people will say you need 2, but I think 1 is fine, as long as you have a big enough monkey wrench ("shifting spanner", in English:p), or the correct size open end spanner for the top nut.

I'm just a backyarder, so I don't use a torque wrench. Just get your bike shop guy to show you once how to do it, then you should have it.

531Aussie said:
Also, some people will say you need 2, but I think 1 is fine, as long as you have a big enough monkey wrench ("shifting spanner", in English:p), or the correct size open end spanner for the top nut.
You must be a hack if you aren't using a metric cresent wrench for the top nut. A monkey wrench is a plumbers tool.

eh...they were just $60 Ultegra head sets!

There's no way I was buyin' 2 tools:p

boudreaux said:
You must be a hack if you aren't using a metric cresent wrench for the top nut. A monkey wrench is a plumbers tool.

Metric crescent wrench (shifting spanner)? As opposed to an imperial or inch one? That's what apprentices get sent to buy along with cans of striped paint, left handed hammers and a long weight (wait!)

Didn't anyone else get the joke?

SteveA

SteveA said:
Metric crescent wrench (shifting spanner)? As opposed to an imperial or inch one? That's what apprentices get sent to buy along with cans of striped paint, left handed hammers and a long weight (wait!)

Didn't anyone else get the joke?

Oh, a metric shifter...hmmm...I see:)

http://gwally.com/pranks/archives/000300.php

Are aren't not no mechanicition

sam218 said:
I have 2 questions: Park sells a locknut wrench (for threaded headset).
tightness?

There are much less expensive alternative to the park headset wrenches. Look at Spin Doctor from Performance or Nashbar's equivalent. I got a 36mm/32mm combo wrench for around $6 a few weeks ago.