Headset Maintenance

sculler

Mar 9, 2004
Hi,

I want to grease my headset on my old commuter bike. It is the old fashioned type with the 2 nuts at the top.

If I undo these nuts and drop the forks, am I likely to get ball bearings falling out?

Any advice appreciated.

They shouldn't, because they'll most likely be in a cage like this:

fork24.jpg

However, if the headset is really old and has been bashed around, some of the balls could fall out, but they're easy to slip back in.
thumb.gif

the old headsets have a bad habit of pitting the race, which results in the steering feeling like it locks in certain spots. Is that why you're taking it apart?

EDIT: I stole Calvin Jones' picture off his link :p

sculler said:
I want to grease my headset on my old commuter bike. It is the old fashioned type with the 2 nuts at the top.

If I undo these nuts and drop the forks, am I likely to get ball bearings falling out?
If the bike's headset pre-dates 1980, then I think there is a good chance that some of the bearings will fall out -- often, on older bikes, while the LOWER bearings may be caged, the UPPER are often not.

alfeng said:
If the bike's headset pre-dates 1980, then I think there is a good chance that some of the bearings will fall out -- often, on older bikes, while the LOWER bearings may be caged, the UPPER are often not.

That's true! If the headset is old enough there's a chance that it has loose bearings. Although like 531Aussie said, there's a very good chance that it has caged beairngs. Just be careful when you're removing the fork and go slowly. You'll be able to see whether or not the baerings are caged before you've completely pulled the headset apart.

Thanks all for your help.

The bike dats back to the mid 90s so hopefully they should be caged.

Cheers