Headset problems

Bluey_27

Mar 19, 2004
It seems i cant adjust the headset on my new-ish pinarello galileo. I can have the headset super loose and still get no play. BTW the headset is threadless. its like something's stuck. The headset bolt has a spring around it if that helps. ???
thanks alot

Did you loosen the top cap?

Don't over do it, or the whole thing can fall out and you may have a hard time putting it back.

yeh, ive backed it right off and its felt fine. no play what so ever. id never ride with it that loose though. anyone whats going on?

Bluey_27 said:
yeh, ive backed it right off and its felt fine. no play what so ever. id never ride with it that loose though. anyone whats going on?

umm .. you undid the stem right? the compression plug is only for preloading the headset bearings, once you've set the pre-load and tightened the stem, it's actually the stem that mostly holds everything together. i'm sure someone will reply and say it's not 'mostly' you can ride with the compression plug completely out and it will be fine ... personally i'm not going to test it.

--brett

lol, yeh i undid the stem, and yeh i know that, im wondering why i cant adjust the stem at all.

Bluey_27 said:
lol, yeh i undid the stem, and yeh i know that, im wondering why i cant adjust the stem at all.

Remove the entire top cap. If it's a compression plug, pull the entire plug out, if it's a star fangled nut, only pull the bolt. If you have spacers between the top cap and the stem remove them.

If you can't adjust the stem then once it's loose, the only thing I can think of is it's been assembled with anti-slip paste and you might have to muscle it a little. Front wheel/fork between legs and grab the bars to work it left/right to free it up. If it still doesn't go, off to the LBS you go!

--brett