Headset question (JIS measurement)

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mskrad, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Mskrad

    Mskrad Guest

    Hello. I have a late 80's lugged Centurion frame that I recently repainted. I would like to use a 1"
    alloy steerer carbon fork (threadless) that I happen to have. The head tube however is the old JIS
    and uses 30mm cups instead of 30.2 I believe. My question are as follows:

    A) can I use the new fork with a headset of that measurement assuming I can find one

    B)does anyone know of a company besides woodman that makes a headset that is threadless with that
    measurement?

    C)Do any of you guys that post and own bike shops carry this or able to get it. My LBS wasn't able
    to find one from the distributor that they use. I can't seem to find an online shop that carries
    the woodman headset either, although it is listed on their website.

    Thanks in advance

    Lance Faler

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, mskrad <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Hello. I have a late 80's lugged Centurion frame that I recently repainted. I would like to use a
    >1" alloy steerer carbon fork (threadless) that I happen to have. The head tube however is the old
    >JIS and uses 30mm cups instead of 30.2 I believe. My question are as follows:
    >
    >A) can I use the new fork with a headset of that measurement assuming I can find one
    >
    >B)does anyone know of a company besides woodman that makes a headset that is threadless with that
    > measurement?
    >
    >C)Do any of you guys that post and own bike shops carry this or able to get it. My LBS wasn't able
    > to find one from the distributor that they use. I can't seem to find an online shop that carries
    > the woodman headset either, although it is listed on their website.

    Lance, the correct solution is to mill the head tube so you can use an English headset and get rid
    of the JIS one. This will make your bike "normal" relative to other road bikes of the previous
    decade or so and open up lots of choices for parts. It also means you can replace the headset at a
    future date without repeating the penalty you are currently experiencing.

    Any good shop should have the tools and experience to shave the head tube so it's perfectly flat and
    the right diameter for the English headset you choose.

    --Paul

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "mskrad" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello. I have a late 80's lugged Centurion frame that I recently repainted. I would like to use a
    > 1" alloy steerer carbon fork (threadless) that I happen to have. The head tube however is the old
    > JIS and uses 30mm cups instead of 30.2 I believe. My question are as follows:
    >
    > A) can I use the new fork with a headset of that measurement assuming I can find one
    >
    > B)does anyone know of a company besides woodman that makes a headset that is threadless with that
    > measurement?
    >
    > C)Do any of you guys that post and own bike shops carry this or able to get it. My LBS wasn't able
    > to find one from the distributor that they use. I can't seem to find an online shop that carries
    > the woodman headset either, although it is listed on their website.

    You've overanalyzed this. Mill the frame to the standard 30.2mm and buy any normal one
    inch AHeadset.