headset question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Richard Hollobo, May 23, 2003.

  1. I one of my more idiotic manoeuvres I managed to drop the compression ring (sits between the upper
    bearing cover and the bearing itself and ensures that the bearing is centred and snug) for my Cane
    Creek S6 headset down a sink drain from which I cannot retrieve it. Unfortunately the manufacturer
    doesn't make spares like this available so I'm SOL unless someone can make any useful suggestions
    for a substitute.

    TIA Richard

    Tags:

  2. Russell Yim

    Russell Yim Guest

    A smart bicycle service manager takes bad assemblies (such as a pitted headset), keeps the good
    parts (lockrings, seals, etc.) and throws the rest away.

    Check at your LBS with the good service manager.

  3. [email protected] (Russell=A0Yim) Wrote:

    "A smart bicycle service manager takes bad assemblies (such as a pitted headset), keeps the good
    parts (lockrings, seals, etc.) and throws the rest away.

    Check at your LBS with the good service manager. "

    A good home mechanic does the same thing. I have a rather large box full of mechanical
    odds and ends.

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Richard Hollobon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...
    > I one of my more idiotic manoeuvres I managed to drop the compression ring (sits between the upper
    > bearing cover and the bearing itself and ensures that the bearing is centred and snug) for my Cane
    > Creek S6 headset down a sink drain from which I cannot retrieve it. Unfortunately the
    manufacturer
    > doesn't make spares like this available so I'm SOL unless someone can make any useful suggestions
    > for a substitute.

    Most sink traps are pretty easy to disassemble. How the heck did a sink happen to walk into
    your workshop?

    The nylon AheadSet rings are a couple of dollars while the "hardcoat" Cane Creek ones are $15.
    Either work just fine. Your LBS will have them, as they are available from most every distributor
    and you'd be surprised how many riders lose that "nonwearing" part.

  5. Ant

    Ant Guest

    "Richard Hollobon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I one of my more idiotic manoeuvres I managed to drop the compression ring (sits between the upper
    > bearing cover and the bearing itself and ensures that the bearing is centred and snug) for my Cane
    > Creek S6 headset down a sink drain from which I cannot retrieve it. Unfortunately the manufacturer
    > doesn't make spares like this available so I'm SOL unless someone can make any useful suggestions
    > for a substitute.

    well, you might ask the company whether the compression rings are standard, or even go to the LBS
    and paw through a couple headsets. even if the company wont sell you a spare ring, the cheap
    diacompe threadless headsets (mine cost 18 dollars, says cane creek on the box somewhere)might
    provide you with a spare. instead of buying another 90 dollar headset.

    i havent toyed with enough of these types of headsets to know if the rings are the same, but i cant
    think of any reason teh company would necessarily need to manufacture different rings. i thoguht all
    teh technology was in the seals and the bearings.

    just a thought.

  6. Ant

    Ant Guest

    "Richard Hollobon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I one of my more idiotic manoeuvres I managed to drop the compression ring (sits between the upper
    > bearing cover and the bearing itself and ensures that the bearing is centred and snug) for my Cane
    > Creek S6 headset down a sink drain from which I cannot retrieve it. Unfortunately the manufacturer
    > doesn't make spares like this available so I'm SOL unless someone can make any useful suggestions
    > for a substitute.

    you could also ask r.b.marketplace if anyone had a dead/used s6. worth a shot, anyways.

    you might tap into the collective parts bins of all those 'good home mechanics', as chris has noted.

    anthony

  7. all good suggestions, thanks guys