headset question

Richard Hollobo

Guest
I one of my more idiotic manoeuvres I managed to drop the compression ring (sits between the upper
bearing cover and the bearing itself and ensures that the bearing is centred and snug) for my Cane
Creek S6 headset down a sink drain from which I cannot retrieve it. Unfortunately the manufacturer
doesn't make spares like this available so I'm SOL unless someone can make any useful suggestions
for a substitute.

TIA Richard

A smart bicycle service manager takes bad assemblies (such as a pitted headset), keeps the good
parts (lockrings, seals, etc.) and throws the rest away.

Check at your LBS with the good service manager.

[email protected] (Russell=A0Yim) Wrote:

"A smart bicycle service manager takes bad assemblies (such as a pitted headset), keeps the good
parts (lockrings, seals, etc.) and throws the rest away.

Check at your LBS with the good service manager. "

A good home mechanic does the same thing. I have a rather large box full of mechanical
odds and ends.

"Richard Hollobon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> I one of my more idiotic manoeuvres I managed to drop the compression ring (sits between the upper
> bearing cover and the bearing itself and ensures that the bearing is centred and snug) for my Cane
> Creek S6 headset down a sink drain from which I cannot retrieve it. Unfortunately the
manufacturer
> doesn't make spares like this available so I'm SOL unless someone can make any useful suggestions
> for a substitute.

Most sink traps are pretty easy to disassemble. How the heck did a sink happen to walk into
your workshop?

The nylon AheadSet rings are a couple of dollars while the "hardcoat" Cane Creek ones are $15.
Either work just fine. Your LBS will have them, as they are available from most every distributor
and you'd be surprised how many riders lose that "nonwearing" part.

"Richard Hollobon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I one of my more idiotic manoeuvres I managed to drop the compression ring (sits between the upper
> bearing cover and the bearing itself and ensures that the bearing is centred and snug) for my Cane
> Creek S6 headset down a sink drain from which I cannot retrieve it. Unfortunately the manufacturer
> doesn't make spares like this available so I'm SOL unless someone can make any useful suggestions
> for a substitute.

well, you might ask the company whether the compression rings are standard, or even go to the LBS
and paw through a couple headsets. even if the company wont sell you a spare ring, the cheap
diacompe threadless headsets (mine cost 18 dollars, says cane creek on the box somewhere)might
provide you with a spare. instead of buying another 90 dollar headset.

i havent toyed with enough of these types of headsets to know if the rings are the same, but i cant
think of any reason teh company would necessarily need to manufacture different rings. i thoguht all
teh technology was in the seals and the bearings.

just a thought.

"Richard Hollobon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I one of my more idiotic manoeuvres I managed to drop the compression ring (sits between the upper
> bearing cover and the bearing itself and ensures that the bearing is centred and snug) for my Cane
> Creek S6 headset down a sink drain from which I cannot retrieve it. Unfortunately the manufacturer
> doesn't make spares like this available so I'm SOL unless someone can make any useful suggestions
> for a substitute.

you could also ask r.b.marketplace if anyone had a dead/used s6. worth a shot, anyways.

you might tap into the collective parts bins of all those 'good home mechanics', as chris has noted.

anthony

all good suggestions, thanks guys