headset question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by eddiebrannan, Dec 17, 2003.

1. eddiebrannan

eddiebrannan New Member

so i got my 04 bianchi giro and switched out the stock deda stem for my old stem. the stem's shorter top to bottom so i added a couple spacers until the stack height without the cap was 3mm above the end of the steerer tube, fitted the cap and bolted it down into the star nut as far as it would go. thing is is that now there's some lateral movement at the upper cup of the headset, like it's not fully compressed. i can move it back and forward a millimeter or so with just my fingers pushing the spacer stack, so when i brake you can imagine…
    i cannot figure out why. i have enough additional spacer stack so that it should be compressing fully when the cap's totally screwed in. it wasn't this way with the deda so not a preexisting problem. i didn't remove the fork at all, just literally slid the old stem off and the new one on, so i can't imagine the upper or lower headset caps got out of alignment (even if they could).
    what the hell?
    any ideas?

Tags:

2. pudster

pudster New Member

When you put your old stem on and the new spacers and had 3mm of steer below the top of the stem maybe when you tightened up the top cap you took all the play out of the steer but lost your 3mm of stem above your steer. I would put another spacer on so that you have a little bit more distance between the end of your steer and the top of your stem. Then put it all together and tighten up the top cap then tighten up the stem binder bolts. Usually you want to have about 5mm of stem clearance above the steer. Hope this helps you out and that I understand what you are saying.

3. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

You could try tapping the stem VERY VERY GENTLY with a hammer via a thick piece of very soft pine to settle it , but ONLY if nothing else works .

Have you made sure you didn´t disturb the bearings / seals in the headset ?
    Has the screw run out of thread ?

4. eddiebrannan

eddiebrannan New Member

yeah totally understand. thought 3mm was enough but clearly needs more. thanks

5. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

You don't have to guess. Look at or measure how far the bottom of the topcap extends into the stem.

6. eddiebrannan

eddiebrannan New Member

it's not a guess. you misread the post. i understood that 3mm was enough to compress the stack sufficiently but apparently tis set-up needs more.