Headset Questions / Opinions

tlarwa

Guest
For lack of anything better to do, and to have something "different" (but
good quality) on my Waterford, I'm looking at alternatives to Chris Kings...

Two that look reasonable are American Classic and IRD. Any experiences with
these headsets?

tlarwa wrote:
> For lack of anything better to do, and to have something "different" (but
> good quality) on my Waterford, I'm looking at alternatives to Chris Kings...
>
> Two that look reasonable are American Classic and IRD. Any experiences with
> these headsets?

FSA or Cane Creek cart. bearing units.

Robin

"tlarwa" <[email protected]> wrote:

>For lack of anything better to do, and to have something "different" (but
>good quality) on my Waterford, I'm looking at alternatives to Chris Kings...
>
>Two that look reasonable are American Classic and IRD. Any experiences with
>these headsets?

As another poster mentioned, the Cane Creek headsets are VERY good
alternatives to Chris King units (same design advantages, same or
lower weight, and less money, not to mention less garish graphics).

I put an American Classic HS on my own tandem - I've only got a couple
thousand miles on it so far, but I've got no reason to believe that it
won't last a loooooooonnnngggg time on a 'half-bike'.

Bottom line - I don't get too excited about headsets - they all the
the same thing and last longer than should be legal (assuming even a
little maintenance).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

$795 ti man wrote:
>> last longer than should be legal

Shhhh! Don't suggest that to any of the manufacturers, well end up with
some "new and improved super lightweight" headset that only lasts one
season.

-Nate

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 11:05:19 -0700, Mark Hickey wrote:

> Bottom line - I don't get too excited about headsets - they all the
> the same thing and last longer than should be legal (assuming even a
> little maintenance).

Maintenance? So far (3.5 years) I haven't had to do anything to my Cris
King. Far different from the bad-old-days.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
_`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]

In article <[email protected]>,
Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> "tlarwa" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >For lack of anything better to do, and to have something "different" (but
> >good quality) on my Waterford, I'm looking at alternatives to Chris Kings...
> >
> >Two that look reasonable are American Classic and IRD. Any experiences with
> >these headsets?

> As another poster mentioned, the Cane Creek headsets are VERY good
> alternatives to Chris King units (same design advantages, same or
> lower weight, and less money, not to mention less garish graphics).

I have the very last CK headset with the laser etched logo.
It looks _good_

--
Michael Press

tlarwa wrote:
> For lack of anything better to do, and to have something "different" (but
> good quality) on my Waterford, I'm looking at alternatives to Chris Kings...
>
> Two that look reasonable are American Classic and IRD. Any experiences with
> these headsets?

Chris King is the best in terms of life but any HS, mounted on a
properly prepped frame, adjusted properly, will last Just about
forever.

Way to much $ spent on something that just mounts the fork to the frame
and only turns a few degrees.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Chris King is the best in terms of life but any HS, mounted on a
> properly prepped frame, adjusted properly, will last Just about
> forever.
>
> Way to much $ spent on something that just mounts the fork to the frame
> and only turns a few degrees.

I disagree, partially. Water sealing and stainless bearings are very
important unless you live in the desert and/or only ride in the dry.
Many cheaper headsets fall down on these points. Not that you have to
pay for CK to get "sufficient" quality; half the amount will do.