Headset questions

nkoelsch

Guest
I have recently started building a BMX bike for my son and getting
various parts from EBAY and LBS. I have been having problems getting a
headset to fit the frame. Are there different size(diam) headsets out
there? I mean does every 1 1/8 headset fit my frame?

Dear NK, & list

About any 1 1/8" "aheadset" will do the job. DiaCompe makes a cheap
one (the SE) I've put on a bunch of BMXers. A lot of guys at the track
like the Chris King, at $100 a pop.

The FSA Pig and Orbit are good economy headsets that are commonly
available.

good luck

jn

"Thursday"

[email protected] wrote:
> Dear NK, & list
>
> About any 1 1/8" "aheadset" will do the job. DiaCompe makes a cheap
> one (the SE) I've put on a bunch of BMXers. A lot of guys at the track
> like the Chris King, at $100 a pop.
>
> The FSA Pig and Orbit are good economy headsets that are commonly
> available.
>
> good luck
>
> jn
>
> "Thursday"

OK I have a 1 1/8 YST headset and a Haro frame. I made a homemade
press. Should I put grease inside the headtube or on the outside of
cups? It doesn't want to go.

OK also noticed you said "aheadset". Is there a difference between
"aheadset" and headset?

nkoelsch wrote:

> OK also noticed you said "aheadset". Is there a difference between
> "aheadset" and headset?

Yes, "Aheadset (TM)" is Dia Compe's trademark for their threadless
headset. The term is commonly (incorrectly) used as a generic term for
threadless headsets.

This is one of many terms defined in my online Bicycle Glossary:

http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary

Sheldon "Definitions" Brown
| On Monday, when the sun is hot, |
| I wonder to myself a lot: |
| 'Now is it true, or is it not, |
| 'That what is which and which is what?' |
| --A. A. Milne |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Is the frame brand new? In other words, was there a headset installed
previously?

If not, the frame needs to be prepared - a new headset will not fit.
You'll need to take it to a bike dealer for this; they have the cutting
tools to correctly ream and face the frame, and press in the headset.
If you try to press a headset into an unprepared frame, you risk
cracking the frame, and/or destroying the headset. Even if it goes in
correctly, it will most likely never work correctly.

You can buy the tools yourself, but the complete setup probably costs
$400; the dealer should charge you about $25 for the installation.

[email protected] wrote:
> Is the frame brand new? In other words, was there a headset installed
> previously?
>
> If not, the frame needs to be prepared - a new headset will not fit.
> You'll need to take it to a bike dealer for this; they have the cutting
> tools to correctly ream and face the frame, and press in the headset.
> If you try to press a headset into an unprepared frame, you risk
> cracking the frame, and/or destroying the headset. Even if it goes in
> correctly, it will most likely never work correctly.
>
> You can buy the tools yourself, but the complete setup probably costs
> $400; the dealer should charge you about $25 for the installation.

The frame is used as far as I can tell(has marks on back dropouts from
wheel nuts and some surface rust around some of the welds) although I
have no idea if a headset was ever installed or not. I guess I'll just
call a few bikeshops and see who can do this for me. Thanks for the
help.

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> Yes, "Aheadset (TM)" is Dia Compe's trademark for their threadless
> headset. The term is commonly (incorrectly) used as a generic term for
> threadless headsets.

The trademark is now used primarily by Cane Creek for their budget range
of headsets. I'm not sure if Dia-Compe sold it to them completely or
just licensed it.

Obviously everyone else (except the increasingly out-of-step Shimano)
licenses the threadless design, but AFAIK no-one else can use the name.
I rather like Chris King's name "NoThreadSet".

[email protected] wrote:

> Is the frame brand new? In other words, was there a headset installed
> previously?
>
> If not, the frame needs to be prepared - a new headset will not fit.
> You'll need to take it to a bike dealer for this; they have the cutting
> tools to correctly ream and face the frame, and press in the headset.
> If you try to press a headset into an unprepared frame, you risk
> cracking the frame, and/or destroying the headset. Even if it goes in
> correctly, it will most likely never work correctly.
>
> You can buy the tools yourself, but the complete setup probably costs
> $400; the dealer should charge you about $25 for the installation.

Some frames are prepared at the factory, but the advice above is sound
as this can be poorly done or completely overlooked. Park have a nice
photo of a faced head tube on this page:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headface.shtml

If yours looks like the "completely faced" picture, the frame has
probably been prepared already.

Don't underestimate the aggravation an incorrectly faced head tube can
cause. The headset will go from being too loose to binding and nothing
in between.

Does Shimano actually manufacture headsets any more? Sure, they've got
a ton of NOS 1" threaded ones in a warehouse somewhere, but who uses
them any more?

I really can't figure out why most companies are in the headset
business. Why would anyone use anything else but a King on any decent
bicycle?

[email protected] wrote:
> Does Shimano actually manufacture headsets any more? Sure, they've got
> a ton of NOS 1" threaded ones in a warehouse somewhere, but who uses
> them any more?
>
> I really can't figure out why most companies are in the headset
> business. Why would anyone use anything else but a King on any decent
> bicycle?

Because of the cost, obviously. It looks frightening until you factor
in the labour cost of having three new ones installed over the same
period. Then it's just mildly disturbing ;-)

Dans le message de news:42d541aa.0@entanet,
Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
> [email protected] wrote:
>> Does Shimano actually manufacture headsets any more? Sure, they've
>> got a ton of NOS 1" threaded ones in a warehouse somewhere, but who
>> uses them any more?
>>
>> I really can't figure out why most companies are in the headset
>> business. Why would anyone use anything else but a King on any decent
>> bicycle?
>>

> Because of the cost, obviously. It looks frightening until you factor
> in the labour cost of having three new ones installed over the same
> period. Then it's just mildly disturbing ;-)

Over the water, Tiso gets a lot of praise for its headsets, which are not
nearly so expensive as CK.
--
Bonne route !

Sandy