Headset questions

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by nkoelsch, Jul 10, 2005.

  1. nkoelsch

    nkoelsch Guest

    I have recently started building a BMX bike for my son and getting
    various parts from EBAY and LBS. I have been having problems getting a
    headset to fit the frame. Are there different size(diam) headsets out
    there? I mean does every 1 1/8 headset fit my frame?

    Tags:

  2. Dear NK, & list

    About any 1 1/8" "aheadset" will do the job. DiaCompe makes a cheap
    one (the SE) I've put on a bunch of BMXers. A lot of guys at the track
    like the Chris King, at $100 a pop.

    The FSA Pig and Orbit are good economy headsets that are commonly
    available.

    good luck

    jn

    "Thursday"

  3. nkoelsch

    nkoelsch Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Dear NK, & list
    >
    > About any 1 1/8" "aheadset" will do the job. DiaCompe makes a cheap
    > one (the SE) I've put on a bunch of BMXers. A lot of guys at the track
    > like the Chris King, at $100 a pop.
    >
    > The FSA Pig and Orbit are good economy headsets that are commonly
    > available.
    >
    > good luck
    >
    > jn
    >
    > "Thursday"

  4. nkoelsch

    nkoelsch Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Dear NK, & list
    >
    > About any 1 1/8" "aheadset" will do the job. DiaCompe makes a cheap
    > one (the SE) I've put on a bunch of BMXers. A lot of guys at the track
    > like the Chris King, at $100 a pop.
    >
    > The FSA Pig and Orbit are good economy headsets that are commonly
    > available.
    >
    > good luck
    >
    > jn
    >
    > "Thursday"

    OK I have a 1 1/8 YST headset and a Haro frame. I made a homemade
    press. Should I put grease inside the headtube or on the outside of
    cups? It doesn't want to go.

  5. nkoelsch

    nkoelsch Guest

    OK also noticed you said "aheadset". Is there a difference between
    "aheadset" and headset?

  6. nkoelsch wrote:

    > OK also noticed you said "aheadset". Is there a difference between
    > "aheadset" and headset?

    Yes, "Aheadset (TM)" is Dia Compe's trademark for their threadless
    headset. The term is commonly (incorrectly) used as a generic term for
    threadless headsets.

    This is one of many terms defined in my online Bicycle Glossary:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary

    Sheldon "Definitions" Brown
    | On Monday, when the sun is hot, |
    | I wonder to myself a lot: |
    | 'Now is it true, or is it not, |
    | 'That what is which and which is what?' |
    | --A. A. Milne |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  7. Is the frame brand new? In other words, was there a headset installed
    previously?

    If not, the frame needs to be prepared - a new headset will not fit.
    You'll need to take it to a bike dealer for this; they have the cutting
    tools to correctly ream and face the frame, and press in the headset.
    If you try to press a headset into an unprepared frame, you risk
    cracking the frame, and/or destroying the headset. Even if it goes in
    correctly, it will most likely never work correctly.

    You can buy the tools yourself, but the complete setup probably costs
    $400; the dealer should charge you about $25 for the installation.

  8. nkoelsch

    nkoelsch Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Is the frame brand new? In other words, was there a headset installed
    > previously?
    >
    > If not, the frame needs to be prepared - a new headset will not fit.
    > You'll need to take it to a bike dealer for this; they have the cutting
    > tools to correctly ream and face the frame, and press in the headset.
    > If you try to press a headset into an unprepared frame, you risk
    > cracking the frame, and/or destroying the headset. Even if it goes in
    > correctly, it will most likely never work correctly.
    >
    > You can buy the tools yourself, but the complete setup probably costs
    > $400; the dealer should charge you about $25 for the installation.

  9. nkoelsch

    nkoelsch Guest

    The frame is used as far as I can tell(has marks on back dropouts from
    wheel nuts and some surface rust around some of the welds) although I
    have no idea if a headset was ever installed or not. I guess I'll just
    call a few bikeshops and see who can do this for me. Thanks for the
    help.

  10. Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > Yes, "Aheadset (TM)" is Dia Compe's trademark for their threadless
    > headset. The term is commonly (incorrectly) used as a generic term for
    > threadless headsets.

    The trademark is now used primarily by Cane Creek for their budget range
    of headsets. I'm not sure if Dia-Compe sold it to them completely or
    just licensed it.

    Obviously everyone else (except the increasingly out-of-step Shimano)
    licenses the threadless design, but AFAIK no-one else can use the name.
    I rather like Chris King's name "NoThreadSet".

  11. [email protected] wrote:

    > Is the frame brand new? In other words, was there a headset installed
    > previously?
    >
    > If not, the frame needs to be prepared - a new headset will not fit.
    > You'll need to take it to a bike dealer for this; they have the cutting
    > tools to correctly ream and face the frame, and press in the headset.
    > If you try to press a headset into an unprepared frame, you risk
    > cracking the frame, and/or destroying the headset. Even if it goes in
    > correctly, it will most likely never work correctly.
    >
    > You can buy the tools yourself, but the complete setup probably costs
    > $400; the dealer should charge you about $25 for the installation.

    Some frames are prepared at the factory, but the advice above is sound
    as this can be poorly done or completely overlooked. Park have a nice
    photo of a faced head tube on this page:

    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headface.shtml

    If yours looks like the "completely faced" picture, the frame has
    probably been prepared already.

    Don't underestimate the aggravation an incorrectly faced head tube can
    cause. The headset will go from being too loose to binding and nothing
    in between.

  12. Does Shimano actually manufacture headsets any more? Sure, they've got
    a ton of NOS 1" threaded ones in a warehouse somewhere, but who uses
    them any more?

    I really can't figure out why most companies are in the headset
    business. Why would anyone use anything else but a King on any decent
    bicycle?

  13. [email protected] wrote:
    > Does Shimano actually manufacture headsets any more? Sure, they've got
    > a ton of NOS 1" threaded ones in a warehouse somewhere, but who uses
    > them any more?
    >
    > I really can't figure out why most companies are in the headset
    > business. Why would anyone use anything else but a King on any decent
    > bicycle?

    Because of the cost, obviously. It looks frightening until you factor
    in the labour cost of having three new ones installed over the same
    period. Then it's just mildly disturbing ;-)

  14. Sandy

    Sandy Guest

    Dans le message de news:[email protected],
    Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> a réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> Does Shimano actually manufacture headsets any more? Sure, they've
    >> got a ton of NOS 1" threaded ones in a warehouse somewhere, but who
    >> uses them any more?
    >>
    >> I really can't figure out why most companies are in the headset
    >> business. Why would anyone use anything else but a King on any decent
    >> bicycle?
    >>

    > Because of the cost, obviously. It looks frightening until you factor
    > in the labour cost of having three new ones installed over the same
    > period. Then it's just mildly disturbing ;-)

    Over the water, Tiso gets a lot of praise for its headsets, which are not
    nearly so expensive as CK.
    --
    Bonne route !

    Sandy