Headset Removal Help ???

Status

David Hallerman

Guest
Hi,

Picked up a nice frame the other day, an Ibis Spanky (the defunct company's steel road bike).

The person I bought it from left the 1-inch Chris King headset cups in the headtube, with the
agreement that because I have the right tool, I'd remove the cups and return them to him. (Right
tool = Campy "rocket" tool)

However, even though the tangs of the Campy tool fully hit the bottom edges of the King cups, my
hammering on the tool will not remove them.

Any suggestions? Is there some kind of lube or other substance I should drip down between the cups
and inside part of the headtube? Or do you have any other ideas?

Since these are both high-quality items (frame and headset), I'd prefer not to destroy to fix.

Any ideas much appreciated.

David, who never had this kind of headset cup removal problem before

==========

"David Hallerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Picked up a nice frame the other day, an Ibis Spanky (the defunct company's steel road bike).
>
> The person I bought it from left the 1-inch Chris King headset cups in the headtube, with the
> agreement that because I have the right tool, I'd remove the cups and return them to him. (Right
> tool = Campy "rocket" tool)
>
> However, even though the tangs of the Campy tool fully hit the bottom edges of the King cups, my
> hammering on the tool will not remove them.
>
> Any suggestions? Is there some kind of lube or other substance I should drip down between the cups
> and inside part of the headtube? Or do you have any other ideas?
>
> Since these are both high-quality items (frame and headset), I'd prefer not to destroy to fix.
>
> Any ideas much appreciated.
>
> David, who never had this kind of headset cup removal problem before
>
> ==========

Is there an inner 'ledge' or 'lip' inside the headtube just above the headset cups the tool is
hitting against? You could be pounding against this and not the headset. My Park rocket tool works
just fine on Chris King headsets until I encountered this type of headtube with my GT DHi. Shine a
light down there and check.

Mike

"David Hallerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Picked up a nice frame the other day, an Ibis Spanky (the defunct company's steel road bike).
>
> The person I bought it from left the 1-inch Chris King headset cups in the headtube, with the
> agreement that because I have the right tool, I'd remove the cups and return them to him. (Right
> tool = Campy "rocket" tool)
>
> However, even though the tangs of the Campy tool fully hit the bottom edges of the King cups, my
> hammering on the tool will not remove them.
>
> Any suggestions? Is there some kind of lube or other substance I should drip down between the cups
> and inside part of the headtube? Or do you have any other ideas?
>
> Since these are both high-quality items (frame and headset), I'd prefer not to destroy to fix.
>
> Any ideas much appreciated.
>
> David, who never had this kind of headset cup removal problem before

Sounds as if you are familiar with this tool and removing headstets. You know the blow is similar to
a carpenter's swing driving nails into studs, right?

If there is evidence of locktite on the cups ( a common fix for ovalled head tubes), heat the head
cups with a heat gun/hair dryer to break the locktite first and then try your Campagnolo tool again.

Buy yourself a chris king headset and give him the new cups, since you'll want a great headet anyway
and quit the chance of screwing up the frame because you're too smart and know that this shouldn't
be this hard.

"David Hallerman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> Picked up a nice frame the other day, an Ibis Spanky (the defunct company's steel road bike).
>
> The person I bought it from left the 1-inch Chris King headset cups in the headtube, with the
> agreement that because I have the right tool, I'd remove the cups and return them to him. (Right
> tool = Campy "rocket" tool)
>
> However, even though the tangs of the Campy tool fully hit the bottom edges of the King cups, my
> hammering on the tool will not remove them.
>
> Any suggestions? Is there some kind of lube or other substance I should drip down between the cups
> and inside part of the headtube? Or do you have any other ideas?
>
> Since these are both high-quality items (frame and headset), I'd prefer not to destroy to fix.
>
> Any ideas much appreciated.
>
> David, who never had this kind of headset cup removal problem before

look in "DIY" bike cable luber for further headset adventures. before torching try cleaning the
grooves and seams then hanging the frame into a vat of solvent(covering with ughnfoil or plastic bag
to prevent evap.

Status
Not open for further replies.