Headset spacers w/FSA Headset

BigRingIt

Aug 9, 2004
Hello -
I have an FSA headset in my bicycle. The top cap appears to be "FSA Specific", in that, there are 'embedded' washers in the top cap itself.

I have ~35mm of spacers on my steerer tube up to my stem there, which I want to get rid of. I've tried a few different top cap manufacturers, such as Control Tech, who, makes a 35mm headset conical spacer/top cap. However, the CT was not compatible with the headset, again, simply because it did not have the same embedded washers in it, to help compress on the top of the headset.

Can someone please recommend a conical spacer that is compatible with the FSA headset (i.e. has this washer system), or, am I doomed to the goose-neck stem/steerer tube for life?

Any suggestions also as to how to work AROUND this issue is greatly appreciated. Now, before you suggest "get a new headset", I will let you know that the FSA headset is part of a tapered headtube, in that, it starts at 1 1/8 and goes to 1 1/2. I'd defintely be willing to pull the top half of the headset out, and, replace it with a different one, but, not sure if this is possible?

Thanks

I'm not exactly sure what you are describing ...

Regardless, you can use a different brand upper & lower headset assembly on the same bike ... as long as they fit the frame & steerer ...

Because the top cap is GENERALLY located adjacent to (above, on top of ...) the stem, it can be thought of as being generic ...

There IS a name for the upper COVER PLATE which shrouds the upper bearing assembly in an integrated headset, but it eludes me.

There aren't that many different bearing assemblies ... so, your LBS should be able to figure out which FLUSH FIT cover plate & centering bushing will fit the bearing assembly that is in your FSA headset ... it just becomes a matter of whether it is less expensive to order the separate parts OR to buy another headset.