Headset stack height chart?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary Jacobson, Mar 7, 2004.

  1. Just finished putting together a nice "retro rocket", and
    found that the fork steerer tube is kind of short. Is their
    a list somewhere of headset stack heights? Or alternatively
    does any one know of a headset for threaded steerer tubes
    that have a low stack height? Retro would be nice, but not
    necessary. As it is now the bike has a FSA headset, and it
    is both out of place and the lock nut doesn't catch enough
    steerer tube threads.

    Thanks.

    Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

    Tags:

  2. Frank121

    Frank121 Guest

    GJ,

    The Excel catalog lists the stack height on a new Campy
    Record and Chorus as
    36.5mm, Shimano DuraAce and Ultegra as 37.6mm.

    Frank

    "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]>
    wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just finished putting together a nice "retro rocket", and
    > found that the fork steerer tube is kind of short. Is
    > their a list somewhere of headset stack heights? Or
    > alternatively does any one know of a headset for
    threaded
    > steerer tubes that have a low stack height? Retro would be
    > nice, but not necessary. As it is now the bike has a FSA
    > headset, and it is both out of place and the lock nut
    > doesn't catch enough steerer tube threads.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

  3. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just finished putting together a nice "retro rocket", and
    >found that the fork steerer tube is kind of short. Is their
    >a list somewhere of headset stack heights? Or alternatively
    >does any one know of a headset for threaded steerer tubes
    >that have a low stack height? Retro would be nice, but not
    >necessary. As it is now the bike has a FSA headset, and it
    >is both out of place and the lock nut doesn't catch enough
    >steerer tube threads.

    If it's one of the current FSA 1" headsets, it's probably
    pretty tall (they're listed as having a 42mm stack height).
    Almost anything will be shorter than that. The contenders:
    Ritchey Logic (33mm), Shimano road (37.5mm), Tange Seiki
    headsets (33.4mm) and of course Campy headsets at a
    relatively tall 38.5mm.

    Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of
    the $695 ti frame

  4. Gary Jacobson wrote:

    > Just finished putting together a nice "retro rocket", and
    > found that the fork steerer tube is kind of short. Is
    > their a list somewhere of headset stack heights? Or
    > alternatively does any one know of a headset for threaded
    > steerer tubes that have a low stack height? Retro would be
    > nice, but not necessary. As it is now the bike has a FSA
    > headset, and it is both out of place and the lock nut
    > doesn't catch enough steerer tube threads.

    The lowest I've ever come across are mid-1990s Shimano 105
    headsets at 32mm. They're not especially durable or
    attractive. The average nowadays is around 38mm, and given
    the choice (on a new fork) I'd leave room for a 4mm spacer
    so a wide range of headsets can be fitted - some
    Stronglights are 42mm.

    You could consider having a a longer steerer tube brazed in
    at the next respray, which is about half the price of a good
    quality pair of forks.