Headset stack height chart?

Gary Jacobson

Guest
Just finished putting together a nice "retro rocket", and
found that the fork steerer tube is kind of short. Is their
a list somewhere of headset stack heights? Or alternatively
does any one know of a headset for threaded steerer tubes
that have a low stack height? Retro would be nice, but not
necessary. As it is now the bike has a FSA headset, and it
is both out of place and the lock nut doesn't catch enough
steerer tube threads.

Thanks.

Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

Frank121

Guest
GJ,

The Excel catalog lists the stack height on a new Campy
Record and Chorus as
36.5mm, Shimano DuraAce and Ultegra as 37.6mm.

Frank

"Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just finished putting together a nice "retro rocket", and
> found that the fork steerer tube is kind of short. Is
> their a list somewhere of headset stack heights? Or
> alternatively does any one know of a headset for
threaded
> steerer tubes that have a low stack height? Retro would be
> nice, but not necessary. As it is now the bike has a FSA
> headset, and it is both out of place and the lock nut
> doesn't catch enough steerer tube threads.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

Mark Hickey

Guest
"Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just finished putting together a nice "retro rocket", and
>found that the fork steerer tube is kind of short. Is their
>a list somewhere of headset stack heights? Or alternatively
>does any one know of a headset for threaded steerer tubes
>that have a low stack height? Retro would be nice, but not
>necessary. As it is now the bike has a FSA headset, and it
>is both out of place and the lock nut doesn't catch enough
>steerer tube threads.

If it's one of the current FSA 1" headsets, it's probably
pretty tall (they're listed as having a 42mm stack height).
Almost anything will be shorter than that. The contenders:
Ritchey Logic (33mm), Shimano road (37.5mm), Tange Seiki
headsets (33.4mm) and of course Campy headsets at a
relatively tall 38.5mm.

Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of
the $695 ti frame

Zog The Undenia

Guest
Gary Jacobson wrote:

> Just finished putting together a nice "retro rocket", and
> found that the fork steerer tube is kind of short. Is
> their a list somewhere of headset stack heights? Or
> alternatively does any one know of a headset for threaded
> steerer tubes that have a low stack height? Retro would be
> nice, but not necessary. As it is now the bike has a FSA
> headset, and it is both out of place and the lock nut
> doesn't catch enough steerer tube threads.

The lowest I've ever come across are mid-1990s Shimano 105
headsets at 32mm. They're not especially durable or
attractive. The average nowadays is around 38mm, and given
the choice (on a new fork) I'd leave room for a 4mm spacer
so a wide range of headsets can be fitted - some
Stronglights are 42mm.

You could consider having a a longer steerer tube brazed in
at the next respray, which is about half the price of a good
quality pair of forks.