headset stack heights

peter z

Guest
Hi, has anyone ever seen a HS stack height database? I'm about to have a
threaded fork cut down but want to make sure I don't cut too much in case I
decide to change the HS in the future. I'm currently using a Delta
Stronglight (which I like very much so far).

Any info appreciated.

-Peter

"peter z" <[email protected]> wrote in

> Hi, has anyone ever seen a HS stack height database? I'm about to have
> a threaded fork cut down but want to make sure I don't cut too much in
> case I decide to change the HS in the future. I'm currently using a
> Delta Stronglight (which I like very much so far).
>
> Any info appreciated.
>
> -Peter

If it were my bike, unless the stem was too high (which is rarely the
case), I'd just fill it up with spacers. Better support for the stem and it
leaves your options open.

But to answer your question, no, I don't know of one, nor could I find one.

-HW

"peter z" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi, has anyone ever seen a HS stack height database? I'm about to have a
>threaded fork cut down but want to make sure I don't cut too much in case I
>decide to change the HS in the future. I'm currently using a Delta
>Stronglight (which I like very much so far).

The STronglight Delta (not the other way around) is one of the taller
headsets on the market, so chances are you won't cut the steer tube
down too much. You'll end up with a shorter headset stack height with
almost ANY other headset if you ever have to replace the Stronglight
(which is itself pretty unlikely - I've got one on my own road bike
that I built in '95, and that's seen tens of thousands of salt-spray
miles without complaining)..

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

> "peter z" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hi, has anyone ever seen a HS stack height database? I'm about to have a
> >threaded fork cut down but want to make sure I don't cut too much in case

> >decide to change the HS in the future. I'm currently using a Delta
> >Stronglight (which I like very much so far).

> The STronglight Delta (not the other way around) is one of the taller
> headsets on the market, so chances are you won't cut the steer tube
> down too much. You'll end up with a shorter headset stack height with
> almost ANY other headset if you ever have to replace the Stronglight
> (which is itself pretty unlikely - I've got one on my own road bike
> that I built in '95, and that's seen tens of thousands of salt-spray
> miles without complaining)..

Mark, thanks for the info. I looked at

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/headsets.html

and it appears the Delta is indeed a tall HS. I will have the fork cut so
that I can use one thin spacer and then I think I'll be set for many years.

Thanks again.

-Peter

On 2005-09-18, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:

> The STronglight Delta (not the other way around) is one of the taller
> headsets on the market, so chances are you won't cut the steer tube
> down too much. You'll end up with a shorter headset stack height with
> almost ANY other headset if you ever have to replace the Stronglight
> (which is itself pretty unlikely - I've got one on my own road bike
> that I built in '95, and that's seen tens of thousands of salt-spray
> miles without complaining)..

The Delta is a great headset. I've had one on my tandem for 20 years now.

--

John ([email protected])

On 2005-09-18, peter z <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi, has anyone ever seen a HS stack height database? I'm about to have a
> threaded fork cut down but want to make sure I don't cut too much in case I
> decide to change the HS in the future. I'm currently using a Delta
> Stronglight (which I like very much so far).
>
> Any info appreciated.

Southerland's Manual at your local bike shop...

--

John ([email protected])

On Mon, 19 Sep 2005 03:40:14 +0000, peter z wrote:

> Mark, thanks for the info. I looked at
>
> http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/headsets.html
>
> and it appears the Delta is indeed a tall HS. I will have the fork cut so
> that I can use one thin spacer and then I think I'll be set for many years.

Ya never know. I had a Stronglight A9, which probably is also pretty
tall. It's still fine, but the frame it was in is long gone. My new
frame, which I got from Mark BTW (and am still pleased as punch with) had
a significantly longer head tube, even though it was nominally the same
size and same angles (different bottom bracket height was the key to
that). Anyway, I had to switch to a headset with a lower stack height to
use the same fork -- and ended up spending way more on the headset than
the fork... (Chris King headset, swap-meet fork).

Cut it a bit more generously than you might feel necessary. You can
always cut again later if you decide I'm wrong.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
_`\(,_ | business.