Headset/Stem rings...

fauxpas

May 20, 2006
OK, was replacing my stem today and noticed one of the rings around the steerer was smaller than the others. It was narrower and thinner but had the same inside diametre. What is that ring for?

Also, how tight should the cap be tightened up?

fauxpas said:
OK, was replacing my stem today and noticed one of the rings around the steerer was smaller than the others. It was narrower and thinner but had the same inside diametre. What is that ring for?

Also, how tight should the cap be tightened up?
It was probably JUST an extra washer to ensure a sufficient "gap" between the top of the stem and the steerer.

AFTER the fork is "installed" AND the stem is tightened, the top cap is mechanically superfluous ... so, you want the bolt to be tight enough to keep the top cap from rattling.

When installing the fork, to state the obvious, the top cap helps you compress the stem & spacers ...

AFTER the fork is "installed" AND the stem is tightened, the top cap is mechanically superfluous ... so, you want the bolt to be tight enough to keep the top cap from rattling.
Absolute bollocks!!
The top cap is used to preload the headstem bearings.
With the stem slightly loose and the wheel off the ground, tighten the cap bolt 'till you feel a bit of resistance when you turn the forks. Tighten the stem bolts, and check for any play... grab the front brake and rock the bike forwards and backwards.

flipper said:
Absolute bollocks!!
Geez. Which part of "AFTER the fork is installed" didn't you understand?

I am presuming that Fauxpas knows the fundamentals of installing the fork ... AFTER the fork is installed the top cap is just a dust cap and no longer has mechanical value.

The spacer is their for exactly what has been mentioned, to ensure sufficient gap between the top of the ste/spacers and the sterrer tube. This, of course, is to preload the bearings, by compressing the whole setup, and after the stem is tightened, you can rid yourself of 38g by removing the top cap.

So if I was just replacing the stem, do I still need to do up the cap tight before the final tightening of the stem?

fauxpas said:
So if I was just replacing the stem, do I still need to do up the cap tight before the final tightening of the stem?
Yes, you do. When you take the stem off the bearings are unloaded etc. etc. When you put the new stem on, just tighten the top cap, then the stem.

fauxpas said:
OK, sweet...
I hope you didn't remove the cap,bisides the top of the stem now looking very unfinished.I believe that there are many accidents every year with cyclists managing to bash their noggins on the stem/headset,i recon you could turn yourself into a donut if the cap wasn't filling the hole :D

alfeng said:
AFTER the fork is installed the top cap is just a dust cap and no longer has mechanical value.
Wrong! Even if you've tightened the stem bolts holding the steerer, try removing the top cap and riding your bike like you usually do out training. I hope you discover its mechanical value (only a dustcap!! jeez!!!:eek: ) even after the fork is installed. :D

I love that phrase "you can take it off". I'd probably end up misplacing it. Now where did I put my topcap and bolt ...........

hd reynolds said:
Wrong! Even if you've tightened the stem bolts holding the steerer, try removing the top cap and riding your bike like you usually do out training. I hope you discover its mechanical value (only a dustcap!! jeez!!!:eek: ) even after the fork is installed. :D
Okay, put down the Foster's (or, whatever you're drinking) for a few minutes and try to clear your head ...

Geez, indeed!

If your stem is loose enough for you to dislodge it when the top cap is not in place, then you have a serious, pending problem with that stem OR its installation.

To repeat, the top cap serves no mechanical value once the fork/etc. are properly in place -- THAT's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

FWIW. NO, I don't remove my top cap after installation ... it is in place because, as suggested by capwater, it would probably become lost/misplaced otherwise.

alfeng said:
Okay, put down the Foster's (or, whatever you're drinking) for a few minutes and try to clear your head ...

Geez, indeed!

If your stem is loose enough for you to dislodge it when the top cap is not in place, then you have a serious, pending problem with that stem OR its installation.

To repeat, the top cap serves no mechanical value once the fork/etc. are properly in place -- THAT's my story, and I'm sticking to it!

FWIW. NO, I don't remove my top cap after installation ... it is in place because, as suggested by capwater, it would probably become lost/misplaced otherwise.
Where is that guy with the BS Detector?:D
You are contradicting yourself. The fork/etc are in place because of the top cap.

hd reynolds said:
Where is that guy with the BS Detector?:D
You are contradicting yourself. The fork/etc are in place because of the top cap.

WOW! If you aren't drinking, what are you smoking? Your reading comprehension is REALLY LOW at the present moment ...

"once in place" & "after ... " mean the same thing ... POST-installation.

No contradiction on my part ... but, in YOUR mind, something weird is apparently going on!

OR, do you think that because I continue to have top caps installed on my bikes that I am contradicting my observation that there is no mechanical advantage AFTER the fork is properly installed?

alfeng said:
WOW! If you aren't drinking, what are you smoking? Your reading comprehension is REALLY LOW at the present moment ...

"once in place" & "after ... " mean the same thing ... POST-installation.

No contradiction on my part ... but, in YOUR mind, something weird is apparently going on!

OR, do you think that because I continue to have top caps installed on my bikes that I am contradicting my observation that there is no mechanical advantage AFTER the fork is properly installed?
save it. no amount of justification will erase your booboo

hd reynolds said:
save it. no amount of justification will erase your booboo
WHAT?!? What "booboo" are YOU talking about?!?

Do you even understand what the difference is between something being mechanically important vs. becoming cosmetic?

Your reading comprehension & memory from reading one post to another is close to zero at the moment ...

You must be drunk on your face, Mate. Only ONE Fosters a night for you!

Stay off the road (bike or auto) until you've got all your faculties ...

alfeng said:
Do you even understand what the difference is between something being mechanically important vs. becoming cosmetic?

Your contributions are getting more and more absurd. Better shut up coz ur just making a fool of yourself... ''being mechanically important vs. becoming cosmetic'' ???:p :p LOL from where you come from, bike parts must be morphing, hahaha!!!

Just lick your wounds sonnyboy and make a graceful exit.

!!!INTERVENTION!!!

Who cares if it was a booboo, its in the past. The top cap does not serve a mechanical purpose after the stem has been tightened, the stem then acts like the topcap. But keeping the top cap on is a good idea because it looks stupid and is an added safety measure as has been stated. So you are both right, stop fighting.

bobbyOCR said:
The top cap does not serve a mechanical purpose after the stem has been tightened, the stem then acts like the topcap. But keeping the top cap on is a good idea because it looks stupid and is an added safety measure as has been stated. So you are both right, stop fighting.​

That is where the argument is. You and ALF say no mechanical purpose after stem is tightened. I say this is wrong assumption. If you dont get this then try removing it and riding your bike like usual as i've suggested. Then YOU and this ALF guy will find out that this is not so.

The top cap is not just a cosmetic device. The Ahead stem set up (from the top cap to the star nut to the stem to the steerer etc.) is the sum of all its parts to work mechanically sound.

hd reynolds said:
That is where the argument is. You and ALF say no mechanical purpose after stem is tightened. I say this is wrong assumption. If you dont get this then try removing it and riding your bike like usual as i've suggested. Then YOU and this ALF guy will find out that this is not so.

The top cap is not just a cosmetic device. The Ahead stem set up (from the top cap to the star nut to the stem to the steerer etc.) is the sum of all its parts to work mechanically sound.
The top cap does serve a mechanical purpose. When installing the stem, it needs to be tightened so the bearings in the headset can be pre-loaded, and the system is setup. When the stem is tightened, it retains the compression, so the top cap is able to be removed, as it is not compressing anymore, the stem is. A fellow rider and complete weight weenie took off the top cap so his bike could go under 5.95 w/pedals, bottle cages, and sensors. He rode it and is still fine.