Headset wobble??

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joel Rose

Hello,

After my first ride on my new bike I noticed a wobble in the headset/stem area. It is a Colnago
threadless headset with a Colnago ITM stem and 2 spacers between the stem and the headset onto a
Flash fork. The stem does not fit flush onto the headset and the "sleeve" inside the stem bracket
that slides onto the fork tube actually is shaped with an angle on it. Now I have this wobble and
nothing fits perfectly flush! The LBS tried to adjust this problem but after really cranking the
center bolt tight, then the steering was too tight. So I tried to loosen it off so that the steering
isn't so stiff and now the wobble is back. I am really miffed and I feel I am becoming a pain to the
shop. But I don't think the entire steering mechanism should wobble??? Sorry for the long post but
any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Joel Rose

Joel, you had better fix this. It's potentially dangerous and can damage your headset.

First, you need a better shop, one that knows how to do basic service.

Better yet, learn how to do it yourself. There is good info at Sheldon Brown's website.

The center bolt adjusts the headset bearings, and the adjustment is held by tightening the stem's
pinchbolts so that it cannot move on the steerer tube.

> After my first ride on my new bike I noticed a wobble in the headset/stem area. It is a Colnago
> threadless headset with a Colnago ITM stem and 2 spacers between the stem and the headset onto a
> Flash fork. The stem does not fit flush onto the headset and the "sleeve" inside the stem bracket
> that slides onto the fork tube actually is shaped with an angle on it. Now I have this wobble and
> nothing fits perfectly flush! The LBS tried to adjust this problem but after really cranking the
> center bolt tight, then the steering was too tight. So I tried to loosen it off so that the
> steering isn't so stiff and now the wobble is back. I am really miffed and I feel I am becoming a
> pain to the shop. But I don't think the entire steering mechanism should wobble??? Sorry for the
> long post but any advice or opinions would be appreciated.
>
> Joel Rose

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

Status
Not open for further replies.