Headset woes

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Tomlinson, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. I have just taken my headset apart and had a bit of a surprise. Rather than finding a ball/roller
    races, I found cartridge bearings. The lower bearing is kn*****ed and the LBS have ordered me a new
    one. No problem there really, but how am I meant to service the bearings if I cannot get them apart
    to pack in the grease?

    The bike is a Dawes Galaxy and the headset is a Deore LX.

    John T. Remove the singers of Spam before replying

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    John Tomlinson wrote:
    > I have just taken my headset apart and had a bit of a surprise. Rather than finding a ball/roller
    > races, I found cartridge bearings. The lower bearing is kn*****ed and the LBS have ordered me a
    > new one. No problem there really, but how am I meant to service the bearings if I cannot get them
    > apart to pack in the grease?
    >
    > The bike is a Dawes Galaxy and the headset is a Deore LX.

    Most of them are not supposed to be regreased - you just get new cartridges which are pregreased.
    Some cartridges can be prised apart with a screwdriver, however, but there is a risk of damaging
    the seals.

    I find Stronglight O'Light ones work better without the seals!

    ~PB

  3. On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:00:23 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
    <ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

    >Most of them are not supposed to be regreased - you just get new cartridges which are pregreased.
    >Some cartridges can be prised apart with a screwdriver, however, but there is a risk of damaging
    >the seals

    Yep. I did try that very gently but would have caused too much damage; I needed to put the old unit
    back to use the bike until Friday when the LBS say they will have some for me.

    But looking at the old cartridge, it is not very well sealed. You can clearly see the balls through
    a small gap in the housing. So the grease is bound to wash out.

    I think it was the 150k audax I did in Norfolk the other weekend that washed the grease out of the
    old unit :-(

    >I find Stronglight O'Light ones work better without the seals!
    >
    >~PB

    So, do you take off the seals so you can add your own grease as and when required?

    JT Remove the singers of Spam before replying

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    John Tomlinson wrote:

    >> Most of them are not supposed to be regreased - you just get new cartridges which are pregreased.
    >> Some cartridges can be prised apart with a screwdriver, however, but there is a risk of damaging
    >> the seals
    >
    > Yep. I did try that very gently but would have caused too much damage; I needed to put the old
    > unit back to use the bike until Friday when the LBS say they will have some for me.
    >
    > But looking at the old cartridge, it is not very well sealed. You can clearly see the balls
    > through a small gap in the housing. So the grease is bound to wash out.
    >
    > I think it was the 150k audax I did in Norfolk the other weekend that washed the grease out of the
    > old unit :-(

    You could perhaps try an external boot: Lizzard Skinz or a home made job.

    >> I find Stronglight O'Light ones work better without the seals!
    >
    > So, do you take off the seals so you can add your own grease as and when required?

    From new, I found the headset was binding with the seals so I took them off and leave them off for
    that reason. Weather protection is compromised but I can regrease when required. In fact I'm only
    using the top half of the headset now and use an A9 lower. The O'Light has needle bearing
    cartridges* instead of the ball type that Shimano use.

    * Poor design IMO: has smaller rollers than A9's and seals are excessivley tight. Might be ok if
    head tube faces are absolutely perfect.

    ~PB

  5. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    John Tomlinson <[email protected]> wrote:
    : I have just taken my headset apart and had a bit of a surprise. Rather than finding a ball/roller
    : races, I found cartridge bearings. The lower bearing is kn*****ed and the LBS have ordered me a
    : new one. No problem there really, but how am I meant to service the bearings if I cannot get them
    : apart to pack in the grease?

    For my money, I'd buy a Campag Record headset which has a grease port on the lower race so you can
    grease it easily.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
    - Paulina Borsook

  6. Ben

    Ben Guest

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 19:26:33 +0000 (UTC), John Tomlinson
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have just taken my headset apart and had a bit of a surprise. Rather than finding a ball/roller
    >races, I found cartridge bearings. The lower bearing is kn*****ed and the LBS have ordered me a new
    >one. No problem there really, but how am I meant to service the bearings if I cannot get them apart
    >to pack in the grease?

    You're not. You're meant to replace them.