headset?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Mikael Seierup, Feb 11, 2003.

  1. Bought a Ritchey Logic Scuzzy Logic with a star-fangled nut but this isnt what I need. Looking at
    Sheldon Brown gave me this:

    "The YST "GeForce" headset has a collar which slips over the steerer, and is clamped to it with a
    binder bolt near the top of the collar. The outside of this collar is threaded, and the upper
    bearing race screws onto these threads. The upper race assembly is fitted with a binder bolt that
    clamps it tight onto these threads when the desired adjustment has been attained. The Ge Force is
    the only threadless headset which doesn't use the handlebar stem as part of the adjustment. These
    headsets may be used with any stem, either external clamping or internal expander/wedge type."

    As in something that holds the fork without the need for a stem. The fork uses a 1 1/4 inch steerer
    as far as I can measure. Anyone know any other brands that fit the bill as it seems these YST
    headsets are crappy. (mtb review)

    Regards Mikael

    Tags:

  2. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Mikael Seierup wrote:
    > Bought a Ritchey Logic Scuzzy Logic with a star-fangled nut but this isnt what I need. Looking at
    > Sheldon Brown gave me this:
    >
    > "The YST "GeForce" headset has a collar which slips over the steerer, and is clamped to it with a
    > binder bolt near the top of the collar. The outside of this collar is threaded, and the upper
    > bearing race screws onto these threads. The upper race assembly is fitted with a binder bolt that
    > clamps it tight onto these threads when the desired adjustment has been attained. The Ge Force is
    > the only threadless headset which doesn't use the handlebar stem as part of the adjustment. These
    > headsets may be used with any stem, either external clamping or internal expander/wedge type."
    >
    > As in something that holds the fork without the need for a stem. The fork uses a 1 1/4 inch
    > steerer as far as I can measure. Anyone know any other brands that fit the bill as it seems these
    > YST headsets are crappy. (mtb review)

    I think what you need is this: http://www.use1.com/ringgostar/ringgostar.htm

    JimP

  3. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Bought a Ritchey Logic Scuzzy Logic with a star-fangled nut but this isnt what I need. Looking at
    > Sheldon Brown gave me this:
    >
    > "The YST "GeForce" headset has a collar which slips over the steerer, and is clamped to it with a
    > binder bolt near the top of the collar. The outside of this collar is threaded, and the upper
    > bearing race screws onto these threads. The upper race assembly is fitted with a binder bolt that
    > clamps it tight onto these threads when the desired adjustment has been attained. The Ge Force is
    > the only threadless headset which doesn't use the handlebar stem as part of the adjustment. These
    > headsets may be used with any stem, either external clamping or internal expander/wedge type."
    >
    > As in something that holds the fork without the need for a stem. The fork uses a 1 1/4 inch
    > steerer as far as I can measure. Anyone know any other brands that fit the bill as it seems these
    > YST headsets are crappy. (mtb review)
    >
    > Regards Mikael

    Perhaps you can do something like this: My new tadpole trike will use two Aheadsets, and I have no
    need of stems. I have experimentally chucked a BMX seatpost clamp in the lathe and bored out the
    hole so that it can be used instead of a stem. Of course, one could just saw off the unnecessary
    bits of a stem.

    rorschandt

  4. "rorschandt" wrote

    > Perhaps you can do something like this: My new tadpole trike will use two Aheadsets, and I have no
    > need of stems. I have experimentally chucked a BMX seatpost clamp in the lathe and bored out the
    > hole so that it can be used instead of a stem. Of course, one could just saw off the unnecessary
    > bits of a stem.

    Well, it turned out it was a 1 1/8 after all so I bought a used Stronglight Headstrong headset with
    needle bearings. It has a hexbolt so the topbit-thingie grips the stem.

    Mikael

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Mikael Seierup wrote:

    > Well, it turned out it was a 1 1/8 after all so I bought a used Stronglight Headstrong headset
    > with needle bearings. It has a hexbolt so the topbit-thingie grips the stem.

    Mikael,

    I tried to find "topbit-thingie" in Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary [1] but there was no entry. The
    man has let me down. ;)

    [1] < http://www.sheldonbrown.com/glossary.html >

    Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side) Various HPV's

  6. "Tom Sherman" skrev ...
    > I tried to find "topbit-thingie" in Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Glossary [1] but there was no entry.
    > The man has let me down. ;)

    It's the thingamajig that goes into the whatsit from the top.

    ;) Mikael