headset

Kevin RK

Nov 2, 2003
Hi, I have a problem with my headset. When i apply my front brake and move back and forth i can feel some play in my fork/headset area. My stem is tight so I dont know what it is. Also when i turn my front wheel the top part of the head set is turning, is it supposed to? By the way my fork is ridgid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kevin

top half of headset is meant to turn.

what sort of headset do you have? is it an old fashioned threaded typre (you will have a quill type stem) or is it one or the more modern Ahead sets?

Originally posted by Kevin RK
Hi, I have a problem with my headset. When i apply my front brake and move back and forth i can feel some play in my fork/headset area. My stem is tight so I dont know what it is. Also when i turn my front wheel the top part of the head set is turning, is it supposed to? By the way my fork is ridgid. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kevin
The stem being tight is of no value unless the preload was set correctly.This also assumes the HS is assembled correctly. Check the repair section at www.parktool.com

DOn't know what type of headset you hae but if its threadless, the preload on the headset is loose. You need to loosen the stem ad tighten the top cap both until there's no play. Then tighten the stem.

Originally posted by Hecubus
DOn't know what type of headset you hae but if its threadless, the preload on the headset is loose. You need to loosen the stem ad tighten the top cap both until there's no play. Then tighten the stem.
Same applies to a threaded type,but the adjustment procedure involves adjustning the preload with the lower nut and then tightening the lockknut.

I have a threadless headset and i have tightened the top cap 2 times in the past couple of weeks but the play always comes back in a couple of days. The top 1/2 inch or so of my steer tube is threaded and the top cap screws on it. Is my headset or stem junk, or is this just routine maintanence? also if you buy a new headset do they just slide in or is their a special tool to install them? thanks Kevin

I have a threadless headset and i have tightened the top cap 2 times in the past couple of weeks but the play always comes back in a couple of days. The top 1/2 inch or so of my steer tube is threaded and the top cap screws on it. Is my headset or stem junk, or is this just routine maintanence? also if you buy a new headset do they just slide in or is their a special tool to install them? thanks Kevin
I never heard of a threadless HS with a threaded steerer.Take it to a LBS and let them sort it out before you bugger something. And,yeah it helps to have some special tool or special skills for replacing HS.

It is wierd that the top part is threaded. On my XC bike their is a hex bolt that goes down the steer tube and expands when you tighten it. This is my DJ bike. I just ordered a new fork and it is suposed to be here tomorrow, it is a rockshox psylo xc. will i need a new stem? thanks Kevin

trying to post picture, will see if it works

Kevin,
I suggest asking your local shop to check it out and call you when they figure out what's wrong. The shop won't be a like a car dealer who charges you $100 just to diagnose the problem. I'm guessing, however, that you need a new headset. Depending on how much you love that bike, or how much money you can spend, do yourself a big favor and get a Chris King headset. They're the best in the business, they have a 10-year warranty (what other bike part has a ten-year warranty?), and the company is a very reputible and responsible one. I may sound like a rep, but I assure you, I'm not. Have the shop check it out and order a King if you need a headset. Good luck.

Originally posted by American Floyd
Kevin,
I suggest asking your local shop to check it out and call you when they figure out what's wrong. The shop won't be a like a car dealer who charges you $100 just to diagnose the problem. I'm guessing, however, that you need a new headset. Depending on how much you love that bike, or how much money you can spend, do yourself a big favor and get a Chris King headset. They're the best in the business, they have a 10-year warranty (what other bike part has a ten-year warranty?), and the company is a very reputible and responsible one. I may sound like a rep, but I assure you, I'm not. Have the shop check it out and order a King if you need a headset. Good luck.

Hope headsets are also very good and half the money..........