Headsets - What is the jargon????

XTRACKDOG

Apr 15, 2005
Current frame has a 50mm diameter headtube. Current headset is Columbus type.

1. Is the Columbus type headset "Integrated" or "Internal". Then there is "1.5" close to 50mm but not quite?

2. What does ID and OD mean? I have been trying to find the correct headset and any site that is informational has these measurements.

3. Angular??? FSA Z series of headsets says that their cups will fit a 50mm OD(? same as diameter?). They also mention a 36 and 45 degree "micro angular contact bearing" (doesn't the fork go through the headset at 90degrees)

4. FSA has a Columbus style headset called the Intellistat which they list as integrated not internal.

Basically, I have a Cinelli Aliante which has a headtube diameter of 50mm. What size headset fits? If I have a Columbus type headset, can I press in an internal type headset? How can I tell and what should I look for?

Thanks

I don't know too much about bike mechanics, but since no one else responded, I will say answer the one question on ID and OD: they are typical abbreviations for inside diameter and outside diameter.

Thanks. All the LBSs say to bring in the frame. I don't want to disassemble the headset since there is nothing wrong. If nothing ever goes wrong with the headset, I may never find out. If something goes wrong, I'm in deep sh!! The price of riding something less popular.

The non standardization of "internal" and "integrated" headsets and diameters, sure makes it tough to determine compatibility. I see many bikes in the future trashed because of unavailable parts if any of the manufacturers ever decide to discontinue catering to a certain style.

Just curious and interested to learn.

XTRACKDOG said:
Thanks. All the LBSs say to bring in the frame. I don't want to disassemble the headset since there is nothing wrong. If nothing ever goes wrong with the headset, I may never find out. If something goes wrong, I'm in deep sh!! The price of riding something less popular.

The non standardization of "internal" and "integrated" headsets and diameters, sure makes it tough to determine compatibility. I see many bikes in the future trashed because of unavailable parts if any of the manufacturers ever decide to discontinue catering to a certain style.

Just curious and interested to learn.
AFAIK, "integrated" & "internal" are the SAME type of headset; and, while there isn't a firm standard, yet (I think KLEIN was the main culprit), it seems that most framebuilders whose frame use integrated headsets can accept the same size since I only see a few (FSA, CANE CREEK, and RITCHEY) listed in mail order catalogs (WOW, is that a haphazard enough way of judging what's going on out there?).

Some of the non-standardized variants are behind us -- Klein?, the 1" Campagnolo integrated headset (those integrated headsets use the same bearings as one of the Cane Creek "traditional" headsets, BTW) briefly used by _????_ to name a couple ...

"Shims" will PROBABLY always be made available from a company like PROBLEM SOLVERS to resolve future compatibility with non-standard headtubes & available headsets.

Also, see: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-headsets.html

If you think it's complicated now, just think what it used to be like not that long ago when there were separate standards for virtually every bike-producing country! Pedal threads, bottom bracket threads and sizes, headset threads, tube sizes, seat post sizes, handlebar stem sizes, handlebar sizes, rear derailleur/drop out fittings - all could vary wildly. It was a nightmare.
You've never had it so good!

alfeng said:
AFAIK, "integrated" & "internal" are the SAME type of headset
They are not the same. Integrated headsets have the bearing races pressed directly into the frame, which is a very bad idea. Internal headsets have the races pressed into aluminum cups which sit completely inside of the head tube, a slightly less bad idea. The Columbus headset fits a 38mm head tube bore, and any headset that's Cane Creek IS Standard will work as a replacement.

artmichalek said:
They are not the same. Integrated headsets have the bearing races pressed directly into the frame, which is a very bad idea. Internal headsets have the races pressed into aluminum cups which sit completely inside of the head tube, a slightly less bad idea. The Columbus headset fits a 38mm head tube bore, and any headset that's Cane Creek IS Standard will work as a replacement.
If the Columbus headset fits a 38mm head tube bore, then it sounds like it is the same as the 1" Campagnolo threadless headset (at least, the one I had) ... which means that Cane Creek's 1"/C2 bearings can possibly/probably be substituted if-and-when -- no guarantees.