Headshok question

BC

Guest
I recently posted this question to rec.bicycles.tech (Or whatever the
name is) and got some good feedback, but I've had my bike serviced
since and the problem persists, so... Is it normal for a Headshok to
make a knocking sound/sensation on the rebound (i.e: When it returns
back up, after compressing)? If not, any idea what needs to be done?

Thanks!
BC

Per BC:
>Is it normal for a Headshok to
>make a knocking sound/sensation on the rebound (i.e: When it returns
>back up, after compressing)?

The one on my old Jekyll didn't. OTOH, it was one of the el-cheapo elastomer
headshocks.
--
PeteCresswell

"BC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I recently posted this question to rec.bicycles.tech (Or whatever the
> name is) and got some good feedback, but I've had my bike serviced
> since and the problem persists, so... Is it normal for a Headshok to
> make a knocking sound/sensation on the rebound (i.e: When it returns
> back up, after compressing)? If not, any idea what needs to be done?

You've probably lost your rebound damping. If it doesn't bother you, don't
worry about it. If it does, you'll probably have to fix the cartridge or
the valve or whatever it is that's in there.

Riding with no rebound damping will make the bike uncomfortably bouncy,
making it hard to control in rock gardens and the like.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

On Sat, 16 Jul 2005 17:03:27 GMT, "Phil, Squid-in-Training"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"BC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>>I recently posted this question to rec.bicycles.tech (Or whatever the
>> name is) and got some good feedback, but I've had my bike serviced
>> since and the problem persists, so... Is it normal for a Headshok to
>> make a knocking sound/sensation on the rebound (i.e: When it returns
>> back up, after compressing)? If not, any idea what needs to be done?
>>

>You've probably lost your rebound damping. If it doesn't bother you, don't
>worry about it. If it does, you'll probably have to fix the cartridge or
>the valve or whatever it is that's in there.
>
>Riding with no rebound damping will make the bike uncomfortably bouncy,
>making it hard to control in rock gardens and the like.

Agreed, if it ever had rebound damping to begin with. That would
depend on which Headshok he has. Cannondale had decent tech manuals
online a few years ago regarding service of their forks. I'd start
there.