Headstem/fork upgrade (old to new)

DirtTurtle

May 17, 2007
I have an old chromoly fork, (i think maybe 10 years, only 1 of use though). It has the threaded top part, it runs a 105 1 year old headstem bearings and nut on top. Im not educated at all on this components, but was just wondering if i could run those newer road headstems on it, atm ive got an oldschool mtb heastem that goes inside the fork, not gripping on the outside of the fork like the new ones.

DirtTurtle said:
I have an old chromoly fork, (i think maybe 10 years, only 1 of use though). It has the threaded top part, it runs a 105 1 year old headstem bearings and nut on top. Im not educated at all on this components, but was just wondering if i could run those newer road headstems on it, atm ive got an oldschool mtb heastem that goes inside the fork, not gripping on the outside of the fork like the new ones.
Yes you can. You need a 1" threadless headset to replace the one you have, and then any 1": threadless fork should work. Not a cheap upgrade though for a 10-year-old bike.

bike new but technology aint. I might hold off on the upgrade then, just cut down the stem for better aero. As in other threads money going in group and rims, cant afford forks. Will probably wait for frame/ frame and fork packadge for the upgrade

A threadless adapter is less than $20. You then have the option of using any 1" stem. How much cheaper could it be?

ovalbackmarker said:
A threadless adapter is less than $20. You then have the option of using any 1" stem. How much cheaper could it be?
In that case i may say yes. If i get one, my headstem is 2 long and needs to be cut, but since it will be new type does that mean i will not have to cut it down as much because of the design?