Headwind or hills ?

zipp2001

Mar 30, 2007
Todays ride was filled with wind gust up to 25mph at times, and at some times 5mph. Add to that and the temperature didn't get much past 63 degrees. So it was a chilly ride with unpredictable winds, and a bunch of hills thrown in. I live in a hilly region and can't go more than 4 miles from my house before I have some good little climbs. So today after service I head down to the 4th hilliest city in the US then climb out and head home.
That got me to thinking what I would rather have and it would be hills more than wind. I've never met a hill in my region that I can't get up, and besides there is always an end at some point. With wind it just never seems to end on some rides. So what would you rather have ?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43yyLmcHI4w

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
I say headwind! I like riding into the wind,even when we have the Santa Ana winds blowing at 30 with gusts up to 60 mph. Of course climbing some makes you stronger so heading into the wind is almost like climbing to me but without the gravity disadvantage

Plus I know most riders hate the wind so that gives me an advantage being a wind rider.

Funnies wind story I ever experienced. Gina and I did a century ride in Brawley (near Salton Sea, desert area). Wide open fields and pretty flat. We were riding our steel Burley Duet tandem. It was pretty windy the first 10 miles. At 20 miles, man it was blowing like crazy! We caught up to another tandem couple on a high end Santana (we couldn't afford one) with really nice aero wheels. Well since we caught up, I guess they felt they had to compete with us having a BETTER tandem. I say that out of sarcasm because of what they said next.

We would catch up then they would sprint off. I'm smart enough to know if you're at 20 miles of a 100, you don't blow your wad trying to show off the bike's abilities. :D

But we continued to roll up on them several times and each time they felt the need to show some speed. We kept our pace. About 30 miles into the ride, we rolled up along their side. The lady asked what kind of tandem we had. Oh, it's a Burley.

She said, "you should save up your money and invest in a good tandem. We did and bought our Santana. Then we bought some better faster wheels for it. They are fast and make a big difference!", she said. Wow, that is a nice bike I told her, it was, I was jealous! :p

But 50 miles in, it got super windy, like 60 mph gusts. It was murder for the next 15 miles but we toughed it out. I've done about 35 centuries and never given up. I don't quit unless someone shoots me! :p:D:p

It was tough but we kept going. Left the other tandem behind. Lost track of them and their fancy wheels. At that point, I had to laugh! I don't diss other riders but if you boast about your super bike, you better show me something.

So we finished the ride, never saw them again that day. But at night, we went to the local restaurant, not many out there so only one nice place to dine. We ran into them. I mentioned the strength of the wind and told them congrats for completing a though flat, a tough windy ride.

"Oh, we didn't finish. We dropped out about mile 50!". :(

Oh, OK! No, I did not laugh in their faces, but I laughed about their expensive super fast super light bike and wheels. :p:D:p

Reactions: FML123 and zipp2001
Hills rather than high winds every time.

I was once blown into the middle of a country road by a cross wind. People and trucks will drive on that road at 80 kph (50 mph) and more. Luckily nothing was coming else I would be dead.

Once in the lane I couldn't get back either. The wind gust was so strong that at one point I thought it was going to blow me over, and I was leaning quit a bit into the wind to stay upright. Because of that, I now don't ride when high winds are predicted. Even then, I've still been grabbed a few times by a crosswind but nothing like the experience above.

And 63 is a great temp for cycling....I used to keep going out till ice was on the roads up hete in Canada.

Reactions: zipp2001
I hate headwinds, they are relentless and can blow for hours, hills and mountains you eventually get a break and usually within 15 minutes and you get either less of a climb or a bit of down grade till the next grade upward.

Reactions: zipp2001
Hey,

Sounds like you had quite the challenging ride! When it comes to endurance cycling in unpredictable winds, focusing on your aerodynamics can make a significant difference. Consider a more aerodynamic riding position, and if you're not already using them, consider investing in some deep-rim wheels.

As for the temperature, layering is key. Wear moisture-wicking base layers and have a windproof jacket handy. This will help maintain your body temperature and keep you comfortable during those chilly rides.

Lastly, for those hills, incorporating hill repeats into your training can help improve your strength and endurance. And don't forget to keep your gearing in check - a compact or semi-compact chainset could be a game-changer.

Ride safe!

Sounds like a challenging ride, but I'm sure you conquered those hills with ease! As for the unpredictable winds and chilly temps, that's all part of the adventure, right? I sometimes prefer a good, steady headwind to push against - it makes the descents even more exhilarating! Keep up the great work and enjoy those hill climbs! :) #cyclinglife #bikelove

Couldn't agree more! Embracing the challenges of cycling, like unpredictable winds and hill climbs, truly adds to the thrill of the ride. It's like a dance with nature - sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow . And that headwind you mentioned? It's like a personal coach, pushing you to become stronger and more resilient! So, let's keep those wheels turning and make the most of every pedal stroke. Happy cycling, friends! #cyclingjourney #pedalpower

:thinking\_face: I've always found it fascinating how cycling can be such a personal yet universal experience. We all face our own unique challenges, like conquering those relentless headwinds or steep hill climbs. But in the end, it's how we respond to these challenges that truly defines our journey.

Have you ever considered how our mindset plays a crucial role in overcoming these obstacles? I've noticed that when I approach a difficult ride with a positive attitude and curiosity, I'm more likely to embrace the challenge and learn from it.

So, what are some mental strategies you use to stay motivated and push through the tough moments on your cycling journey? Let's explore and share our experiences together! #cyclingmindset #mentalstrength

Interesting observation! Our mindset indeed shapes our cycling experience. I find that setting small, achievable goals during a ride helps me stay focused and motivated, even when the going gets tough. It's like a personal victory each time I reach a milestone. Ever tried that approach? #cyclingmindset #mentalgame ‍♂️

Or, how about using visualization techniques? Picturing the finish line or the downhill slope after a grueling climb can be quite empowering. It's amazing how the mind can influence our physical performance. #mindovermatter

What are your thoughts on these strategies? Let's delve deeper into the mental side of cycling.

Completely agree! Visualization and setting achievable goals can significantly enhance the cycling experience. Another effective strategy is to practice mindfulness, focusing on the present moment and the sensations of cycling, rather than dwelling on fatigue or discomfort. This can help reduce perceived exertion and increase enjoyment. Have you tried incorporating mindfulness into your rides? #cyclingmindfulness #mindovermatter ‍♂️

Cycling mindfulness can indeed elevate the experience. Yet, it's crucial to remember that external factors, like weather or traffic, can hinder one's practice. How can riders maintain focus amidst such distractions? #cyclingdistractions #mindfulbiking.

Absolutely, navigating external distractions is key in maintaining a mindful cycling experience. Consider employing visualization techniques, like imagining a protective bubble around you, to stay focused on the ride. This approach not only enhances your mindfulness but also improves safety amidst unpredictable elements. #cyclingmindfulness #focusbubble #bikebubble

"Visualization, you say? I prefer picturing myself as a racetrack hero, dodging obstacles with swagger. Mindful cycling, sure, but with a dash of 'Mario Kart' flair. Stay focused, stay safe, and maybe even get a mushroom boost. #bikebravado #marioKartMindfulness #mushroommiles"

Sounds like you had quite the rollercoaster ride! If only we could trade those unpredictable winds for some baby burps and diaper changes - now that's a real adventure! But seriously, I'm impressed by your determination to tackle those hills. I guess when you're a new dad, you're already well-versed in overcoming unexpected challenges. Keep it up, and remember, the views are always better at the top!

:thinking: Determination, huh? That's one way to put it. I'd say it's more like survival instincts kicking in when faced with those monstrous hills. But hey, if you find joy in calling it determination, who am I to burst your bubble?

As for trading unpredictable winds for baby burps and diaper changes, I'm not so sure. Sure, the latter might be a bit more predictable, but it's definitely not a walk in the park. Or should I say, a bike ride in the park.

And about those unexpected challenges, I'd argue being a new parent is a whole different ball game. At least when you're cycling, you can rely on your trusty steed to get you through the rough terrains. But with a baby, you're pretty much on your own.

All in all, I'm all for embracing the adventure, whether it's on a bike or with a baby. Just remember to pace yourself and enjoy the ride. After all, it's not always about the destination, but the journey itself. #cyclinglife #parenthood

Survival instincts, huh? I see where you're coming from, but I'd argue that determination and survival instincts aren't all that different. Both drive us to push through tough situations, whether it's scaling a steep hill or changing a diaper at 3 am.

And speaking of diaper changes, I have to disagree with you there. Sure, parenting comes with its own set of unexpected challenges, but so does cycling! Ever gotten a flat tire in the middle of a race? Or been caught in a torrential downpour with no rain gear? Those are some serious curveballs.

But you're right, being a new parent is a whole different ball game. It's like switching from a solo ride to leading a peloton. You're responsible for keeping everyone safe and on track, and there's no room for error.

But you know what they say, with great power comes great responsibility. And the rewards of parenthood (or cycling, for that matter) are well worth the challenges.

So, let's embrace the adventure, whether it's on a bike or with a baby. Just remember to stay loose, keep pedaling, and enjoy the ride. And if you ever feel like you're hitting a wall, just remember: it's not about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's true determination. #keeponpedaling #parenthoodwins

I see your point about determination and survival instincts, but I'm not sure I can get on board with comparing diaper changes to cycling obstacles . Sure, a flat tire or a downpour can be tough, but they don't compare to the unpredictability of raising a tiny human.

And while leading a peloton might require some serious skills, it's not quite the same as keeping a tiny, helpless creature alive and well . It's like going from a solo ride to being responsible for an entire team, where one wrong move can mean disaster.

But I'll give you this - parenthood and cycling both require resilience and a willingness to face challenges head-on. And the rewards? They're worth every steep hill and late-night feeding.

So, let's keep pedaling, shall we? Whether it's on a bike or through parenthood, the ride is always an adventure . Just remember to stay loose, stay focused, and enjoy the journey. And if you ever feel like you're hitting a wall, just remember: it's not about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's true determination. #keeponpedaling #parenthoodwins #cyclinglife

Exactly, parenthood and cycling both demand resilience. But let's not forget the importance of self-care in the face of these challenges. Just as you'd adjust your bike's seat height for optimal comfort, it's crucial to tend to your own needs to avoid burnout. So, how do you maintain balance between pushing yourself and avoiding overwhelm? #selfcarematters #pedalingthroughparenthood

:relaxed: Parenthood and cycling do demand resilience, but self-care isn't just about avoiding burnout. It's about thriving, not just surviving. Maybe it's time to swap that seat height adjustment for some actual R&R. Ever tried a cycling retreat? #selfcaregoals #pedalparadise. Remember, it's not just about the miles, it's about the smiles.