Headwinds

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Mikeyankee, Feb 8, 2003.

  1. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    One of my cycling mentors often said, "Hills build strength and headwinds build character."

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

    Tags:

  2. David Storm

    David Storm Guest

    Uphills build strength. One of my mentors often told me, "Any dammed fool can go fast downhill."

    "MikeYankee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > One of my cycling mentors often said, "Hills build strength and headwinds
    build
    > character."
    >

    > Mike Yankee
    >
    > (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)

  3. Rick

    Rick Guest

    "MikeYankee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > One of my cycling mentors often said, "Hills build strength and headwinds
    build
    > character."
    >

    > Mike Yankee

    In my neck of the woods (SW Washington along the Lower Columbia River), headwinds are a way of life.
    An out and back course can end up with headwinds in both directions. The only way I can keep this
    from driving me crazy, is to imagine I'm climbing. I ride on the top or the hoods and take the full
    brunt of the wind with my chest. So, I submit that headwinds build strength also.

    Rick

  4. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I don't see why either hills or headwinds build strength. You just gear down for both of them.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  5. "Ron Hardin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I don't see why either hills or headwinds build strength. You just gear down for both of them.

    If that's all you do you're going to lose a lot of speed. Spinning a higher gear than everybody else
    will take you up that hill faster than everybody else.

    --
    Replace the dots to reply

    Perre

  6. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Per Elmsäter wrote:
    > > I don't see why either hills or headwinds build strength. You just gear down for both of them.
    >
    > If that's all you do you're going to lose a lot of speed. Spinning a higher gear than everybody
    > else will take you up that hill faster than everybody else.

    You're just saying that you take wind or hills as a reason to stop pacing yourself perfectly. You
    don't need wind or hills for that.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  7. "Ron Hardin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Per Elmsäter wrote:
    > > > I don't see why either hills or headwinds build strength. You just gear down for both of them.
    > >
    > > If that's all you do you're going to lose a lot of speed. Spinning a
    higher
    > > gear than everybody else will take you up that hill faster than
    everybody
    > > else.
    >
    > You're just saying that you take wind or hills as a reason to stop pacing yourself perfectly. You
    > don't need wind or hills for that.

    No I'm saying it's the easiest place to drop everybody else. Once I get my opening I'm back to
    pacing myself again.

    Actually today on a group ride I was having some problems keeping up with the speed and was starting
    to get a bit winded. At this point I caught site of maybe five minutes worth of hillclimb ahead of
    us. The first thought that entered my mind was. Far out now I get a chance to get my pulse back down
    again. I stayed in the paceline and when we were at the top of the hills my pulse had dropped 20
    beats. I love hills.

    --
    Replace the dots to reply

    Perre

  8. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "Ron Hardin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I don't see why either hills or headwinds build strength. You just gear down for both of them.
    > --

    That or you work harder, or no harder. Your choice.

    Robin Hubert

  9. Rick

    Rick Guest

  10. schikerbiker

    schikerbiker Guest

    "Ron Hardin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I don't see why either hills or headwinds build strength. You just gear down for both of them.

    Well you can change to a gear that will make hills easy but slow. I don't mind hills and enjoy the
    challenge of trying to keep a certain speed and gear going up them. I don't care for headwinds
    because they are constantly changing. What I hate most are very strong crosswinds, the type that can
    almost blow you into the road or into the ditch. But it is part of riding a bike.