Health and Safety. How safe do you think we are on our bikes?

Pelumb A-Level

Oct 18, 2004
Well the answe is: Not safe !!!

Hello there everyone, my name is Pëllumb Gurra, I`m a product design student in Oxford. I have chosen to do a design project on bike mirrors and i need your help. We might not think about bike mirrors alot and we dont consider them as a standart component on a bike, but the fact is that most of the bike accidents and deaths result from riders not having a clear view of what`s behind (in a simple way not having MIRRORS!!!)

Now I`ve set some questions and I would really appreciate if u can take a little bit of your time and answer them:

1. How often do you use your bike?

2. Do you feel safe when biking?

-If no, what do you think lacks your bike in safety?

3. Would you consider buying bike mirrors (first read the fact about bike accidents, lol ;)?

4. Which of these would you prefer : Handle Bar Mirrors, Helmet Mirrors, Eyeglass Mirrors or On Lens Mirrors (mirros mounted on the lens of your glasses)...

5. Do you think mirrors loose the aesthetics (looks) of a bike?

-Mirrors have a big dissadvantage, they have blind-spots and sometimes the blind-sopts are big. On the product (mirros) which I`m designing, I`m going to use a tilting mechanism (my invention) which would tilt the mirrors automatically, cutting the blind-spots enourmously. This means much more security but it also means that there will be two components, the mirror mounted in the handle bars and the second component on the frame.

6. Therefore would you consided buying the automatically tilting mirrors?

Or, if you don`t want to answer those questions, then ignore them and just say what you think about bike safety and mirrors ;)

Many thanks to all of you