Health risks down there .....???

Harrow

Jun 17, 2003
Just started cycling in aero position, with a resulting increase in pressure where it matters.

I'm sure this can't be good for your piping, etc.

What potential health problems does this raise?

Thanks,
Harrow.

I think that I read a news paper or journal article on this and I think that for most cyclists there are few risks. Perhaps others have looked at this in a little more detail.

I saw a TV blurb on this a couple of years back. After a while, some saddles can cause damage to the arteries that supply the erectile tissues. The problem comes from pinching the blood vessels between the pelvic bones and the saddle. The damage can be permanent. Some new saddle designs are cut away "down there" to reduce or eliminate the problem. No point in impressing the babes with your bike prowess just to fall short in other areas.

During long rides I would recommend every 10minutes you should stand up off the seat for a minute or two, just to get the blood pumping round. This definately helps since I used suffer from numbness in the 'old chap' due to prolonged seated rides /climbs. Standing up on the pedals is also good for training.

Originally posted by Harrow
Just started cycling in aero position, with a resulting increase in pressure where it matters.

I'm sure this can't be good for your piping, etc.

What potential health problems does this raise?

Thanks,
Harrow.

Harrow,

I've been a serious racing cyclist for many years and have always scorned those who warned about potential dangers "down there". Well, what goes around comes around: I have developed a "second set of equipment" i.e. severe swelling damage to my perineum, may require surgery. As far as riding a bike is concerned, I can't.

So.. be warned.

p.s. I know that you can get (not in u.k. I don't think) something that resembles a regular saddle but basically consists of only the rear part so the tender bits don't, for want of a better term "get squashed". It's call the "un-saddle" and was developed by a 1970's racing cyclist who's proffessional carreer was cut short by permanent pereneum damage. Time trialling is a sure way to place even more stress on that area. So please.. be creful.

Best regards, Dave.