Health scientist Ranjita Misra warns about childhood obesity, diabetes

Dr. Jai Maharaj

Guest
Health Scientist Ranjita Misra Warns About Childhood
Obesity, Diabetes

By Francis C. Assisi Indolink Saturday, March 13, 2004

Boston, March 13 - Back in November 2002 when Ranjita Misra
reported her survey of the health status and behavior among
Indian Americans, the surprising conclusion was that 50% of
her sample 0f 369 Indian Americans 'did not meet the Food
Guide Pyramid's recommendations for fruits, vegetables, and
milk consumption.' As a result, she recommended increased
attention for education, use of preventive services, and
health promoting behaviors among Asian Indians.

Then in June 2003 Misra reported that 'for diabetics, race
and ethnicity can mean the difference between life and
death.' Her research, published in the ''Journal of the
National Black Nurses Association'' on Type-II or adult-
onset diabetes, has shown the disease is the fourth-leading
cause of death in America. For African- Americans, the
incidence of the disease is 50 to 100 percent higher than
for Caucasians.

Her other finding reflect the state of (ill)health among
Indian Americans. Her key finding: whereas the rate of
diabetes in Caucasian Americans – described as ''epidemic''
at six percent – it is approximately 18 percent in Indian
Americans. Her preliminary results in Houston confirm that
Indian Americans have high rates of diabetes and metabolic
syndrome (the clustering of certain lipid and glucose
abnormalities).

''I want people to understand that this is a very serious
disease. If you have it, you will develop serious
complications,'' Misra stated. ''it is most important they
maintain good blood sugar and blood pressure control.''

Misra hopes her studies will lead to a better understanding
of the disease and better outreach and health education in
minority populations and eventually result in reducing the
number of early deaths from diabetes.

Misra should know. She is a Texas A&M University professor
who specializes in Preventive Health Services and Health
Disparities for Chronic Diseases among minorities and
teaches courses in ethnicity and health at the College
Station campus. Misra earned a B.S. in Food & Nutrition,
from Orissa University of Agriculture & Technology, followed
by an M.S. Food & Nutrition, from Banaras Hindu University.
Misra obtained a Ph.D in Urban Health Services from Old
Dominion University.

The results of Misra's most recent research published March
12, is equally striking: ''our children are in trouble and
its time for our society to do something about it,'' she
warns. Childhood obesity leads to adult diabetes, she
concludes. Which is why she asks that parents -- especially
minority parents -- now need to be concerned about Type 2 or
adult-onset diabetes.

"Childhood obesity and diabetes is a very new area. We did
not have this problem a few years ago. Consequently,
patients, health providers and family members are at a loss
as to how to deal with the situation," Misra notes. Both
diabetes and obesity among children has reached epidemic
proportions as the fast-food restaurants are geared mostly
to children and families. However, in recent days, the fast-
food industry has made headlines by modifying their menus to
be healthier.

One example of the problem she cites is from a colleague who
reported the case of an obese five-year-old diagnosed with
Type 2 diabetes, a disease that previously had a typical age
of onset in the early 40s.

"This child cannot understand diabetes or its
consequences," she adds.

The longer one has diabetes, the greater the physical damage
it causes. Misra says diabetic patients are expected to be
aware and educated about good nutrition, physical activity,
knowledge of the disease and its complications and disease
management mainly through regular blood tests and
medications - all difficult things for a young child to
comprehend or learn.

Misra, who specializes in minority health disparities, has
conducted extensive research on diabetes. In one of her
recent publications in the "Journal of the National Black
Nurses Association," on Type-II or adult-onset diabetes, she
has shown that management of the disease is complex and
difficult even for adults. The disease is the fifth-leading
cause of death in America with a greater burden among the
minority populations. For African- Americans and
Latinos/Hispanics, the incidence of the disease is 1.5 and
1.6 times higher than non-Hispanic whites respectively.

How has this happened in our society and how do parents
deal with it?

Misra says there are too many factors to name them all. They
include parents with busy lifestyles who no longer have time
to participate in outdoor activities with young children.
Also busy parents have resorted to the option of relying too
much on fast food as a source of regular meals for
themselves and their families which in turn leads to many
health problems. Added to these factors is the fact that
children are not as safe playing outdoors as they once were,
so they stay in more often and watch TV or play video games.

There also is the perception that eating healthy is more
expensive. For some lower-income families, eating burgers
and fries from the dollar menu during a busy day pleases the
whole family, but that can lead to problems.

"For example, a large burger, fries and a soda can be as
much as 1,500 to 1,800 calories in one meal when the daily
calorie intake for an adult should be around 2,000," Misra
points out.

She adds that a good portion of those fast-food calories
come from sugar or fat because these are the ingredients
that make food "tastier" and more enticing to the palate. So
she believes the food industry must bear some responsibility
for portion sizes and fat and sugar content and she is
pleased to see that some fast food chains have taken the
initiative by providing healthy alternatives.

Misra hopes that parents would first opt for healthier meals
for themselves for their own sake but also as a way of
setting an example to their children to demonstrate the
virtues of eating healthy. After all children being children
they cannot be expected to make "healthy choices" and it is
incumbent upon the parents to make such choices for them.
This can range from avoiding fast food altogether or making
changes in their preferences such as opting for water or
diet soda instead of the calorie ridden regular soda that
children seem to love.

Also Misra further elaborates that healthy foods are not
necessarily expensive if one were to make intelligent
choices and adjustments in their dietary preferences. When
it comes to children, she also states that good habits can
be imbedded in kids by giving them smaller portions, by
cutting them in to smaller pieces or different shapes so as
to make it more enjoyable and fun. Children who become
diabetic also have to deal with peer pressure. They find
diet choices confusing, and being different when it comes to
picking out foods in the cafeteria can be an ordeal. "Young
children are honest to the point of rudeness and being
pointed out as different can be hurtful or damaging to their
self-image," Misra adds.

For diabetic children, Misra says this can result in high-
risk behaviors. She says they will eat foods they should
avoid just to be part of the group and adds that young
children and teens tend to think of themselves as
invincible.

Health care providers must also get more involved, Misra
says. They must work harder to educate parents - especially
minority parents - on healthier diets and advise them on how
to encourage their children to be more active. Type 2
diabetes in children most often occurs during mid-puberty as
changes in hormone levels during this period cause insulin
resistance and decreased insulin action and parents need to
be aware of this information. Low-income families may not be
able to afford frequent trips to the doctor but, if they are
aware of the problem, there is good information available to
them through other sources such as the American Diabetes
Association's Web site , school health programs, and local
health departments.

Misra believes parents, schools, health providers and the
food industry must begin working together to decrease the
number of children who are obese and in danger of
becoming diabetic.

"An overweight five-year-old with adult-onset diabetes is a
warning we all should heed. Our children are in trouble and
its time for our society to do something about it."

More at:
http://www.indolink.com/displayArticleS.php?id=031304073845

Jai Maharaj http://www.mantra.com/jai Om Shanti

WARNING ABOUT KEVIN 'BEAVIS' MAXFIELD (MEDICAL FRAUD)

Advisory

Kevin Maxfield aka "Beavis" aka "Beav" who is a self-
publicized patient of diabetes has committed serious
crimes by dispensing medical advice to other patients on
numerous occasions. He has published his contact
information as follows:

Kevin "Beavis" Maxfield 106 Churchill Drive Little Lever
Bolton BL3 1PG UK

"Beavis" <[email protected]> "Beavis"
<[email protected]> "Beavis"
<[email protected]>

Picture:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/kevin.maxfield/pictures/me.jpg

Also, a picture of Britt, with the caption: "When she ain't
cookin my meals she does find time to fly a heli!" http://h-
omepage.ntlworld.com/kevin.maxfield/pictures/britt.JPG

Forwarded message: [ [ Subject: Beav is a liar. Beware of
advice he gives you! [ Message-ID:
<[email protected]> [ From: Dennis Fetters
<[email protected]> [ Newsgroups:
misc.health.diabetes [ NNTP-Posting-Host: 67.122.164.63 [
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:08:38 GMT [ [ Greetings news group
participants, [
[ Iam sending this news to all newsgroups that the person [
Beav <[email protected]> participates in, [
especially that involves medical advice. You need to be
[ concerned taking any medical advice from him
whatsoever. [ Why? [ [ Over the years this person has
flamed me and others, told [ lies and did harm all in
the name of fun. This person [ could just as easily give
you improper medical advice and [ sit back and laugh for
the fun of it. Beware of him, he [ may act nice and
helpful but there is an evil side. [ [ Just to help
prove what I'm saying, I have given evidence [ below of
just one lie he was caught making. I'm posting [ this so
that from now on you can measure anything he has [ to
say with what his words are actually worth. Beav is a [
liar. I have proven without a shadow of dough that Beav
[ is a liar. Sure, it is a small lie this time, but what
[ about all the ones before, or after? [ [ On
02/04/2003, you posted on the rec.aviation.rotorcraft
news group: [ > Beav wrote: [ > He's also over on the
R/C heli group looking for ideas [ > on how to build > a
big RC machine which he SAYS is [ > destined for
military (unmanned) use. [ [ That was an out in out lie.
I never said such a thing. He [ made it up and lied to
everyone there. [ [ What I said is below: [ [ On
01/30/2003, I posted on rec.models.rc.helicopter: [ >
Dennis Fetters wrote: [ > Hello, [ > [ > We have lot's
of experience building full size [ > helicopters, but
little knowledge in the RC field and [ > what's
available. [ > [ > I have been contracted to provide a
customer with two [ > large (400 pounds empty) prototype
helicopters to be [ > flown by remote control. It is a
CCPM controlled [ > configuration. I need to find
servo's that are large [ > enough to handle at least a 5
pound resistance per [ > arm, with a 3" travel. [ > [ >
The control rods go through the center of the drive [ >
shaft and connect to the control gimble below the [ >
transmission, where 3 arms are located for both cyclic [
> and collective inputs for the CCPM configuration. The
[ > best solution would be 3 linear servo's, if
something [ > preexists. [ > [ > Rather than reinvent
the wheel, I hope someone would [ > be kind enough to
provide me information on where to [ > find servo's
large enough to do the job, or if a [ > linear servo can
be used. The response time of these [ > large
helicopters are much less than that of an RC [ > model.
[ > [ > Also, if someone of high experience in RC
helicopters [ > is interested in providing some help
with the flights, [ > we're located in the California LA
area. [ > [ > Sincerely, [ > [ > Dennis [ [ No where in
this or any post did I say "it is destined [ for
military (unmanned) use". Beav lied about that. [
[ Jknow some of you here will say, well, it was just a [
little lie. Well, any lie is a lie, big or small, and [
Beav lied and has done much worse. He told this lie to
[ hurt and do as much damage as he could, and it's time
for [ all who deal with him to know. He has proven his
[ willingness to lie and harm people just for fun, so [
anything he says could be a lie or to cause more damage
[ for his entertainment. [ [ Beav is a liar. Beware of
advice he gives you! [ Archived at:.com/groups?selm=3E4BECF9.80308%40sbcglobal.net&oe=UTF-
8&output=gplain

End of advisory

Panchaang for 23 Phalgun 5104, Tuesday, April 13, 2004:

Tarana Nama Samvatsare Uttarayane Nartana Ritau Mesh
Mase Krshn Pakshe Mangal Vasara Yuktayam Shravan-
Dhanishtth Nakshatr Sadhya-Shubh Yog Vanij-Vishti Karan
Dashami Yam Tithau

Hindu Holocaust Museum http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
http://www.hindu.org http://www.hindunet.org

The truth about Islam and Muslims
http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used
for the educational purposes of research and open
discussion. The contents of this post may not have
been authored by, and do not necessarily represent
the opinion of the poster. The contents are protected
by copyright law and the exemption for fair use of
copyrighted works. o If you send private e-mail to
me, it will likely not be read, considered or
answered if it does not contain your full legal name,
current e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice
telephone number. o Posted for information and
discussion. Views expressed by others are not
necessarily those of the poster.

In my opinion the raging concern about obesity is nothing
but a money scheme. It has been a legit issue as long as I
have been alive. It does not require all of the bull being
passed around.. I must admit that the MU? offered the basic
item. Eat a reasonable amount. Most of the research data I
see is such a small sample it has no meaning.. I really do
not understand why these long articles are posted. I rarely
read them. I can see the headers, usus ally in caps and
skip them. Guy

On 13 Mar 2004 19:32:35 GMT, [email protected] (Dr. Jai
Maharaj) wrote:

> [...]
>
>Hindu Holocaust Museum http://www.mantra.com/holocaust
>
>Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
>http://www.hindu.org http://www.hindunet.org
>
>The truth about Islam and Muslims
>http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate
>
> o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used for
> the educational purposes of research and open
> discussion. The contents of this post may not have
> been authored by, and do not necessarily represent the
> opinion of the poster. The contents are protected by
> copyright law and the exemption for fair use of
> copyrighted works. o If you send private e-mail to me,
> it will likely not be read, considered or answered if
> it does not contain your full legal name, current e-
> mail and postal addresses, and live-voice telephone
> number. o Posted for information and discussion. Views
> expressed by others are not necessarily those of the

Dear Mr. Whatever_is_your_name

Netiquette tells us that a sig should not be more than 4
lines, allthough 6 is rather common.

But this is the first time ever I have seen a sig of 152
lines! That is waste of bandwith! Shame on you!

--
Have a nice day! Bjørn BL.

I think that is the purpose of his posts, one to lend
support that he has anything meaningful to say about health
subjects, and second to have an excuse to do his advertising
for what he considers his major occupation. Both have the
ring of a lead bell.