Health warning

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Davidr, Sep 8, 2003.

  1. Davidr

    Davidr Guest

    I saw a poster ad for the new Fiat Punto recently . It said:

    - Warning. May contain nuts. -

    Is it:
    a) Fiat discovers proper mechanical fixings at last,
    b) a frank admission that some drivers really are toads,
    c) a new directive by evil/meddling/nannying/anti-car government,
    d) a refreshing change from normal vomit inducing car ads that try to

    attraction/"lifestyle" ?

    The main worry is, its a car ad that actually caught my attention.

    Tags:

  2. W K

    W K Guest

    "DavidR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I saw a poster ad for the new Fiat Punto recently . It said:
    >
    > - Warning. May contain nuts. -
    >
    > Is it:
    > a) Fiat discovers proper mechanical fixings at last,

    surely not. How about switches that work.

    [non-owner, but co-user of a Panda 1992-1993]

  3. Pete Smith

    Pete Smith Guest

    > I saw a poster ad for the new Fiat Punto recently . It said:
    >
    > - Warning. May contain nuts. -
    >
    > Is it:
    > a) Fiat discovers proper mechanical fixings at last,
    > b) a frank admission that some drivers really are toads,
    > c) a new directive by evil/meddling/nannying/anti-car government,
    > d) a refreshing change from normal vomit inducing car ads that try to

    > attraction/"lifestyle" ?

    I'd have said (b).

    The Saxo, and any small Fiat are _the_ car to be seen driving aggressively in IME.

    Pete.

    --
    NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be bounced to you Remove the news and underscore
    from my address to reply by mail

  4. On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 20:25:07 +0100, DavidR did issue forth:

    As www.sniffpetrol.com put it:

    > - Warning. May contain nuts. -

    ...rolling around in the footwell, and perhaps a mysterious piece of broken plastic in the boot.

    Huw "I admit it, I'm a closet petrolhead" Pritchard

  5. W K

    W K Guest

    "Huw Pritchard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 20:25:07 +0100, DavidR did issue forth:
    >
    > > I saw a poster ad for the new Fiat Punto recently . It said:
    >
    > As www.sniffpetrol.com put it:
    >
    > > - Warning. May contain nuts. -
    >
    > ...rolling around in the footwell, and perhaps a mysterious piece of broken plastic in the boot.
    >
    > Huw "I admit it, I'm a closet petrolhead" Pritchard

    I know the cure, and it was cobbled together in italy.

  6. Depresion

    Depresion Guest

    "DavidR" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I saw a poster ad for the new Fiat Punto recently . It said:
    >
    > - Warning. May contain nuts. -
    >
    > Is it:
    > a) Fiat discovers proper mechanical fixings at last,

    My first thought was "Dose that imply that some puntos don't contain any nuts? Explains a lot!"

  7. Bagpuss

    Bagpuss Guest

    On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 20:25:07 +0100, "DavidR" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I saw a poster ad for the new Fiat Punto recently . It said:
    >
    >- Warning. May contain nuts. -
    >
    >Is it:
    >a) Fiat discovers proper mechanical fixings at last,
    >b) a frank admission that some drivers really are toads,
    >c) a new directive by evil/meddling/nannying/anti-car government,
    >d) a refreshing change from normal vomit inducing car ads that try to

    >attraction/"lifestyle" ?
    >
    >The main worry is, its a car ad that actually caught my attention.

    Have a look at

    http://www.sniffpetrol.com/index.html

    for the alternate tag line at the bottom of the advert.
    --
    This post does not reflect the opinions of all saggy cloth cats be they a bit loose at the seams
    or not GSX600F - Matilda the (now) two eared teapot, complete with white gaffer tape, though no

  8. Depresion

    Depresion Guest

    "David Brown :eek:)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Pete Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'd have said (b).
    > >
    > > The Saxo, and any small Fiat are _the_ car to be seen driving aggressively in IME.
    >
    > Since when was the Saxo made by Fiat? I think you'll find it is made by the makers of the 2CV6.

    He doesn't say the saxo is made by fiat just that it like small fiats are driven badly.

  9. Bagpuss

    Bagpuss Guest

    On Tue, 9 Sep 2003 15:09:38 +0100, "David Brown :eek:\)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Pete Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I'd have said (b).
    >>
    >> The Saxo, and any small Fiat are _the_ car to be seen driving aggressively in IME.
    >
    >Since when was the Saxo made by Fiat? I think you'll find it is made by the makers of the 2CV6.

    He didn't say the Saxo was made by Fiat.
    --

  10. "Depresion" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > He doesn't say the saxo is made by fiat just that it like small fiats are driven badly.

    Ah yes very true. I'm a Saxo driver :eek:( (and an ex 2CV driver for that matter)

  11. David Brown :eek:\) wrote:
    >"Pete Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> I'd have said (b).
    >>
    >> The Saxo, and any small Fiat are _the_ car to be seen driving aggressively in IME.
    >
    >Since when was the Saxo made by Fiat? I think you'll find it is made by the makers of the 2CV6.

    I think you'll find that "The Saxo, and any small Fiat" has a different meaning to "The Saxo, and
    any other small Fiat".

    ME is that the cars with guides on http://www.haynes.co.uk/maxpower.asp are the cars to be seen
    driving with loud exhausts and stereos etc., which correlates with but isn't the same as driving
    aggressively, with aging Escorts with a fake XR3i badge probably the worst.

    (Range shown is Saxo, Nova, Corsa, Fiesta, Escort, Clio, 306, Golf)

  12. Pete Smith

    Pete Smith Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "David Brown :eek: \)"
    <[email protected]> says...
    > "Pete Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'd have said (b).
    > >
    > > The Saxo, and any small Fiat are _the_ car to be seen driving aggressively in IME.
    >
    > Since when was the Saxo made by Fiat? I think you'll find it is made by the makers of the 2CV6.

    I realise that the Saxo's a Citroen, but I was drawing a parallel between Saxo drivers (IME almost
    always driven aggressively), and pretty much any small Fiat (Cinq, Punto et al).

    Pete.

    --

  13. In article <[email protected]>, Pete Smith wrote:

    >I realise that the Saxo's a Citroen, but I was drawing a parallel between Saxo drivers (IME almost
    >always driven aggressively), and pretty much any small Fiat (Cinq, Punto et al).

    I don't think I've ever seen a Panda driven aggressively. In fact I'm not sure it's _possible_ to
    drive a Panda aggressively.

  14. Scott M

    Scott M Guest

    Alan Braggins wrote:

    > >I realise that the Saxo's a Citroen, but I was drawing a parallel between Saxo drivers (IME
    > >almost always driven aggressively), and pretty much any small Fiat (Cinq, Punto et al).
    >
    > I don't think I've ever seen a Panda driven aggressively. In fact I'm not sure it's _possible_ to
    > drive a Panda aggressively.

    I'm sure it's possible. It's just that from the outside it probably looks just like "amusingly".
    Just like at the circus...

    --
    Scott

  15. In article <hF67b.4258$1%[email protected]>, Depresion wrote:

    >> Is it:
    >> a) Fiat discovers proper mechanical fixings at last,
    >
    > My first thought was "Dose that imply that some puntos don't contain any nuts? Explains a lot!"

    As opposed to spot welds and glue. Makes a change from the salted peanuts that may contain
    nuts, if lucky.

    Another advert that stands out is the "Happy Brakeing" one with a picture of a speed camera.
    Now surely people don't go round faster than the speed limit, and just apply the brakes at the
    speed cameras.

    - Richard

    --
    _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ Richard dot Corfield at ntlworld dot com _/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/ _/ _/ Time is a
    one way street, _/ _/ _/_/ _/_/_/ Except in the Twighlight Zone.

  16. Pete Smith

    Pete Smith Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>, Pete Smith wrote:
    > >
    > >I realise that the Saxo's a Citroen, but I was drawing a parallel between Saxo drivers (IME
    > >almost always driven aggressively), and pretty much any small Fiat (Cinq, Punto et al).
    >
    > I don't think I've ever seen a Panda driven aggressively. In fact I'm not sure it's _possible_ to
    > drive a Panda aggressively.

    :)

    I wasn't thinking that far back.

    There's no reason one couldn't be driven aggressively. Some of them had the same 903 engine as the
    Uno, and that was no slouch.

    OTOH, a FOAF managed to roll his while doing a handbrake turn :)

    Pete.

    --
    NOTE! Email address is spamtrapped. Any email will be bounced to you Remove the news and underscore
    from my address to reply by mail

  17. Davidr

    Davidr Guest

  18. Davidr

    Davidr Guest

    "Pete Smith" <[email protected]> wrote
    > [email protected] says...

    > > I saw a poster ad for the new Fiat Punto recently . It said:
    > >
    > > - Warning. May contain nuts. -
    > >
    > > Is it:
    > > a) Fiat discovers proper mechanical fixings at last,
    > > b) a frank admission that some drivers really are toads,
    > > c) a new directive by evil/meddling/nannying/anti-car government,
    > > d) a refreshing change from normal vomit inducing car ads that try to

    > > attraction/"lifestyle" ?
    >
    > I'd have said (b).

    Worrying isn't it?