  1. Healthcare boom brings docs back

    By Panchalee Thakur
    Times News Network
    Monday, August 18, 2003

    You could call it the brain drain in reverse. Till some
    years ago, economists and social scientists expressed
    concerns about talent, grown and nurtured in India,
    leaving the country in search of better careers and
    lifestyles. But in recent times, there has been a
    turnabout, with many professionals, especially doctors,
    returning to India.

    Many of these doctors had excelled in their work abroad
    and built up reputations. But they have returned because
    they feel India is growing rapidly as one of the world's
    top healthcare destinations. And they would like to play
    a part in it. In fact, some say one of the main factors
    behind this healthcare revolution in India is doctors
    returning to the country. They have brought back with
    them their expertise, and are hence attracting patients
    from around the world.

    At Wockhardt Hospital, there are six senior consultants
    who have returned from the US, UK and Australia. In Dr
    Devi Shetty's Narayana Hrudalaya, of the total 35 junior
    and senior consultants, eight senior consultants have
    worked abroad.

    Dr S Mukundan, chief cardiac surgeon, Bhagwan Mahaveer
    Jain Heart Centre, worked in New Zealand for two years
    and then in England for four years. He returned to India
    in 1998 because he felt heart care in India had grown
    tremendously in the past few years and he wouldn't suffer
    professionally if he returned. ''I left the country to
    get experience and acquire expertise, especially in
    paediatric cardiac surgery. I always wanted to come back
    and the fact that we have such good medical
    infrastructure in India now, helped me make up my mind,''
    Dr Mukundan says. He feels the satisfaction about working
    in India is unsurpassable because of the kind of respect
    a doctor gets from a patient.

    Dr Jayapal Reddy, an interventional cardiologist at
    Mallya Hospital was in the US for nine years and says he
    returned because he wanted to be close to his family
    here. ''When I left the country, soon after completing my
    MBBS, going to the US was the best option available to a
    medical graduate. Doctors wouldn't think of coming back
    because there were no good opportunities back home. But
    now it's different. The professional satisfaction I get
    working here is the same as in the US,'' he says.

    As India emerges as a healthcare destination, Bangalore
    finds itself on the global cardiac care map. Among the
    developing countries, hospitals here get patients from
    Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, the middle east and
    several African countries. Now patients are coming in
    from even England and the US. One of the main reasons why
    patients from the west come here is the long waiting
    period for a surgery in their country.

    For example, in England patients have to wait up to nine
    months for a cardiac surgery. Vishal Bali, vice-president
    -- operations, Wockhardt Hospitals says Indian corporate
    hospitals are now on a par with those in the west both in
    terms of management and technology. ''It is a big
    opportunity for Indian doctors abroad to come home. They
    have an edge over doctors here as they are trained and
    experienced in advanced technology,'' he added. According
    to him, patients prefer Bangalore because of quality
    health care. And doctors trained and experienced abroad
    have contributed to it.

    Read the complete news at:
    http://www.timesofindia.com

    News Plus
    http://www.mantra.com/newsplus

    Jai Maharaj
    http://www.mantra.com/jai
    Om Shanti

    Panchaang for 21 Shravan 5104, Monday, August 18, 2003:

    Shubhanu Nama Samvatsare Dakshinaya Jivana Ritau
    Singh Mase Krishna Pakshe Indu Vasara Yuktayam
    Bharani Nakshatr Vriddhi Yog
    Vishti-Bav Karan Saptami Yam Tithau

    Hindu Holocaust Museum
    http://www.mantra.com/holocaust

    Hindu life, principles, spirituality and philosophy
    http://www.hindu.org
    http://www.hindunet.org

    The truth about Islam and Muslims
    http://www.flex.com/~jai/satyamevajayate

    o Not for commercial use. Solely to be fairly used for the
    educational purposes of research and open discussion. The contents of
    this post may not have been authored by, and do not necessarily represent
    the opinion of the poster. The contents are protected by copyright law
    and the exemption for fair use of copyrighted works.
    considered or answered if it does not contain your full legal name,
    current e-mail and postal addresses, and live-voice telephone number.
    o Posted for information and discussion. Views expressed by others
    are not necessarily those of the poster.

    Tags:

  2. Snoopy

    Snoopy Guest

    Johnny Judas Jay "I've got hoof-in-mouth disease" Maharaj wrote:

    > Healthcare boom brings docs back
    >
    > By Panchalee Thakur
    > Times News Network
    > Monday, August 18, 2003
    >
    > [.....]
    > For example, in England patients have to wait up to nine
    > months for a cardiac surgery. Vishal Bali, vice-president
    > -- operations, Wockhardt Hospitals says Indian corporate
    > hospitals are now on a par with those in the west both in
    > terms of management and technology. ''It is a big
    > opportunity for Indian doctors abroad to come home. They
    > have an edge over doctors here as they are trained and
    > experienced in advanced technology,'' he added. According
    > to him, patients prefer Bangalore because of quality
    > health care. And doctors trained and experienced abroad
    > have contributed to it.

    Another great reason to invest in Bangalore, eh, Johnny boya?

    Got mangoes, boya?