Healthnet shut out Redlands road stages

crit PRO

Guest
Healthnot with the hollow Redlands victory. No road stage wins.

cp

They should do better at Georgia against REAL PRO teams. smirk.

crit PRO <[email protected]> wrote:
> Healthnot with the hollow Redlands victory. No road stage wins.

Let me get this straight. They won a stage and the overall. Sure,
you would think Gord should have done better in the crit.

But you know what? Stage wins at Redlands are not that big a
deal. No one remembers that ****. People barely remember GC.
It's a training race.

UCI status means that some of those guys get to bring up point
totals and show the daughter of their host family that, yep,
I'm the 17649th ranked UCI pro, in the faint hope that that
might lead to a little action. You know all about that ****,
right? Or maybe you don't, if never in all your glorious
pro-ness you never scored a UCI point.

Small man.

Bob Schwartz
[email protected]

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> crit PRO <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Healthnot with the hollow Redlands victory. No road stage wins.

> Let me get this straight. They won a stage and the overall. Sure,
> you would think Gord should have done better in the crit.
>
> But you know what? Stage wins at Redlands are not that big a
> deal. No one remembers that ****. People barely remember GC.
> It's a training race.
>
> UCI status means that some of those guys get to bring up point
> totals and show the daughter of their host family that, yep,
> I'm the 17649th ranked UCI pro, in the faint hope that that
> might lead to a little action. You know all about that ****,
> right? Or maybe you don't, if never in all your glorious
> pro-ness you never scored a UCI point.
>
> Small man.
>
> Bob Schwartz
> [email protected]

So what was wrong with his statement actually? They didn't win any
road stages. It's just the truth is all...

Tom

Bob Schwartz wrote:
> Tom <[email protected]> wrote:
> > So what was wrong with his statement actually? They didn't win any
> > road stages. It's just the truth is all...

> And does that make winning GC hollow?
>
> Bob Schwartz
> [email protected]

Sort of, but not really. A lot of these shorter stage races end up
getting decided on day 1 when they complete the first TT, or prologue,
or whatever you want to call it. How come we can't have a 40 or 50k
TT for these guys?? This would put some separation in there. Health
Net did do a good job winning the GC though. They deserved it.

On 5 Apr 2005 00:03:43 -0700, "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sort of, but not really. A lot of these shorter stage races end up
> getting decided on day 1 when
> they complete the first TT, or prologue,
> or whatever you want to call it.

> How come we can't have a 40 or 50k
>TT for these guys??

Because they're boring.

> This would put some separation in there.

Err, there is already enough separation with a short TT to make it
decisive, so now you want more? I don't get it.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> On 5 Apr 2005 00:03:43 -0700, "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> > Sort of, but not really. A lot of these shorter stage races end

up
> > getting decided on day 1 when
> > they complete the first TT, or prologue,
> > or whatever you want to call it.

> > How come we can't have a 40 or 50k
> >TT for these guys??

> Because they're boring.
>
> > This would put some separation in there.

> Err, there is already enough separation with a short TT to make it
> decisive, so now you want more? I don't get it.
>
> JT
>
> ****************************
> Remove "remove" to reply
> Visit http://www.jt10000.com
> ****************************

Long TTs are boring for who? These are stage races aren't they? It
would be decent to make them longer, if they could, but I do realize
that there are limitations as to what they can do, and what kind of
support that they can drum up that it would take to do a long ITT.
They can do a long ITT at the Tour of Georgia because they have the
volunteers to be able to do that. I think it would be harder for
smaller stage races in the US, I think it would be kind of cool, but
probably not feasible. As far as there being more separation, would
that be a bad thing? I think team tactics would come into play in the
latter stages a lot more then if that were the case.

Tom

Tom wrote:
> John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
>
>>On 5 Apr 2005 00:03:43 -0700, "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>Sort of, but not really. A lot of these shorter stage races end

> up
>
>>>getting decided on day 1 when
>>>they complete the first TT, or prologue,
>>>or whatever you want to call it.

>>>How come we can't have a 40 or 50k
>>>TT for these guys??

>>Because they're boring.
>>

>>> This would put some separation in there.

>>Err, there is already enough separation with a short TT to make it
>>decisive, so now you want more? I don't get it.
>>
>>JT
>>
>>****************************
>>Remove "remove" to reply
>>Visit http://www.jt10000.com
>>****************************

> Long TTs are boring for who? These are stage races aren't they? It
> would be decent to make them longer, if they could, but I do realize
> that there are limitations as to what they can do, and what kind of
> support that they can drum up that it would take to do a long ITT.
> They can do a long ITT at the Tour of Georgia because they have the
> volunteers to be able to do that. I think it would be harder for
> smaller stage races in the US, I think it would be kind of cool, but
> probably not feasible. As far as there being more separation, would
> that be a bad thing? I think team tactics would come into play in the
> latter stages a lot more then if that were the case.

There is something you failed to understand about the question...

"Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Long TTs are boring for who?

The spectators. But certainly I prefer TT"s of more than a couple of miles.
The problem is that there isn't enough depth in American racing for long
TT's and the separation would be so great that the best TTer would win the
stage race. So they purposely keep them short to maintain reasonable
separations that could be covered by the equally easy(er) road stages.

If you don't have a race you MAKE a race.

But they better not do that **** with the Tour of California because if it
isn't a real challenge they'll never make a go of it.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Tom" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Bob Schwartz wrote:
> > Tom <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > So what was wrong with his statement actually? They didn't win any
> > > road stages. It's just the truth is all...

> > And does that make winning GC hollow?
> >
> > Bob Schwartz
> > [email protected]

> Sort of, but not really. A lot of these shorter stage races end up
> getting decided on day 1 when they complete the first TT, or prologue,
> or whatever you want to call it. How come we can't have a 40 or 50k
> TT for these guys?? This would put some separation in there. Health
> Net did do a good job winning the GC though. They deserved it.

I suppose it all depends on whether you're going for a stage or the
overall. It's nice to win a stage, but most people tend to remember the
overall winner. Even if you don't win a stage, you had to be consistently
close to doing so every stage to get the overall. Getting both a stage and
the overall is even better, but I wouldn't think of an overall win without
a stage as a hollow win at all.

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Tom Kunich wrote:
> "Tom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Long TTs are boring for who?

> The spectators. But certainly I prefer TT"s of more than a couple of

miles.
> The problem is that there isn't enough depth in American racing for

long
> TT's and the separation would be so great that the best TTer would

win the
> stage race. So they purposely keep them short to maintain reasonable
> separations that could be covered by the equally easy(er) road

stages.

> If you don't have a race you MAKE a race.
>
> But they better not do that **** with the Tour of California because

if it
> isn't a real challenge they'll never make a go of it.

I hear what you're saying, and it's kind of like that now. Look at
the shorter stage races in the US. A lot of times, the guys who do
well or win the TT end up winning the stage race, or end up on the
podium, at least that is what it looks like for the most part. On
another note, hasn't the best TTer won the Tour de France for the past
6 years as well??

Tom