heap deserved abuse on all roadies.

Hypnospin

Apr 10, 2005
your chance to heap abuse on roadies, or at least on me. you know we deserve it, it is not really needed to provide reasons is it? oh, i see a blank mtb look. dare I say you need explaining?

ok, here is why we so desparately deserve this,
1. we flaunt our frameset as costing more than your whole bike.
2. we are elitist, cliqueish and less than humble.
3. even if you participate in our rides, races or even teams you will be treated as if not existing.
4. more suffering and less fun makes roadie an unhappy boy.
5. all is posturing, from the poser to the champ, that reflects snobbishness.
6. no beer aftyer rides, just plain yogurt and unsweetened granola.
7. you cannot wear this team jersey as it is unavailable to you.
8. a clean bike is a sign of a sick mind.
9. never will we wave or smile to a mtb'er.
10. training is confused with riding even for the non-racer.

if you don't keep this nice it is not my fault, at least not entirely.

haha...iv just gata say i agree on your number 9 because i cant even count how many times iv seen a roadie on my way to or from are gultch and i waze or give them the head nod and i know they see me...just they never respond...thats all i have to say though

~Scott

i have many roadie friends but i am a confirmed mtb'er.

i ride most sundays with a bunch of roadies who get thier mtbs out for a bit of off-road. They ride the long 100 miles stuff on the saturday.

its very rarely that i see a stranger on a road bike that doesnt raiser a finger or give a nod as we pass. I am not a young kid and i look reasonably fit. people know i take my chosen sport seriously and perhaps that why they greet me.

road racing is a much tougher discipling than mtb racing from a mental and physical view point. I personally couldnt do it. I am weak. I love my beer, pizza and long lies in the morning.

Mtb for me is the best though because although i am fit, i dont have to sacrifice everything to compete with like minded people. Mtb is a social thing and most rides usually end up in the local boozer.

Great..

cheers....'mines a pint of heavy'.

yeah good point pro...maybe its because im so young that they dont say/do anything....because there are some punk kids around here who ride there $3000+ bikes and make fun of everyone..."Bullies" is the word that comes to mind wen i think young mtbr in my niehbor hood...its a shame really

~Scott

There's a local road that's popular with cyclists; sometimes I'll ride it with my road bike, sometimes I'll ride it with my MTB. Wearing the same helmet, jersey etc. I always wave if I see another cyclist. On my MTB forget it, I'm completely ignored by the majority of roadies. But on my road bike all of a sudden they'll wave back, say hi, sometimes they'll turn around and stop to talk.
Last Sunday I rode in a MTB event, actually it was an off-road time trial on a 14km loop. My daughter ( 11yr old ) wanted to try it too. And they had a 11-14 yr old age class, but she'd never been in a race before so I rode along with her. Anyways, point is, here we are Dad and daughter poking along the course as hardcore MTB racers go by. Every one of them ... well ok, some were completely out of breath -- but every one who could TALK haha! -- said something like "cheers !" or "nice day" etc as they passed us. Let me emphasize that : these are elite or team riders during a competitive event; they come around a corner and here's this old guy and little girl on the trail. AND they say something friendly as they go by.
Personally I consider myself a "cyclist" period. But looking at the big picture it seems to me that road cycling is becoming something like polo -- an exclusive oddity. It doesn't need to be that way.

yeah...i mean its really sad its gone this way roadies and mtb'rs are great people but wen your in the others teritory its not nice...like the other day i was riding i waved to a roadie on my way out of the gultch and he just lookd over and gave me the evil stare....but when i was on the trail and happend to be going head on with another rider *i dint notice because i was looking at a distracting noice off the side* he stopped then wen i turnd i stopd to and he said go ahead i said thanks and he was nice *probly because im young, 13* and he even said have a good ride...i thought that was great that he did that...but a roadie wouldnt...WERE NOT WOLVES HERE PEOPLE!!! were humans for peet sakes...its not about territory its about love for what you do...

~Scott

At the highest level of the sport road is going to be tougher. But if you're talking about weekend racers? I wouldn't say road bike racing is tougher. In a mountain bike race you can't suck wheel for 40 miles and sprint to the finish. Every mountain bike race is a race of truth.

I think there are a lot of people that love to ride both. I know I do. I race mountain bike (used to race road - quit because crashes on pavement suck) but I do at least half of my riding on my road bike. I couldn't really give one up for the other.

MountainPro said:
road racing is a much tougher discipling than mtb racing from a mental and physical view point. I personally couldnt do it. I am weak. I love my beer, pizza and long lies in the morning.
QUOTE]

You know whats really cool? Riding up behind some poser on a $6000 Litespeed road bike on a mountain bike with disk brakes and buzzing knobbies. And then passing him.

IronDonut said:
You know whats really cool? Riding up behind some poser on a $6000 Litespeed road bike on a mountain bike with disk brakes and buzzing knobbies. And then passing him.
I always get a chuckle whenever some one on a mountain bike does that to me when I am on my Monday evening road ride. I know they are probably going to tell their friends about how they passed the guy on the $6,000 IF and how slow the guy was. They have no clue that I am doing an easy spin because the day before I busted my ass for three hours doing a mountain bike race with an average heart rate in the upper 160's.

The moral of the story, unless you know the person that you pass you have no idea how good of a rider they are. They could be staying in a certain heart rate, they could be doing intervals, there are a lot of reasons they are going slow. Oh yeah, the person could be a poser on a $6,000 litespeed. :D

Trust me dude, this guy was a poser.

I have a better one from last night. My mountain bike racing team has a weekly Weds night training race / ride on road bikes. Our local riding spot is super technical so much so that you can't really max out your heart rate. So we do a lot of work on road bikes.

So hard core roadie guy from out of town joins us and I tell him we're mountain bike racers but this is our road training night. He was all dissapointed because he wasn't going to get a good hard ride in. I'm like this is a hard ride you'll work. Remember with dirt bike racing you can't suck wheel for 40 miles then sprint and win. If you win on dirt you earned it. Every race is a race of truth.

After the warmup roll about 3 minutes into hard riding he was off the back. It made me laugh thinking about how much him and his roadie crew circle jerk about out of shape / slow dirt bikers.

LowCel said:
I always get a chuckle whenever some one on a mountain bike does that to me when I am on my Monday evening road ride. I know they are probably going to tell their friends about how they passed the guy on the $6,000 IF and how slow the guy was. They have no clue that I am doing an easy spin because the day before I busted my ass for three hours doing a mountain bike race with an average heart rate in the upper 160's.

The moral of the story, unless you know the person that you pass you have no idea how good of a rider they are. They could be staying in a certain heart rate, they could be doing intervals, there are a lot of reasons they are going slow. Oh yeah, the person could be a poser on a $6,000 litespeed. :D

IronDonut said:
Trust me dude, this guy was a poser.

I have a better one from last night. My mountain bike racing team has a weekly Weds night training race / ride on road bikes. Our local riding spot is super technical so much so that you can't really max out your heart rate. So we do a lot of work on road bikes.

So hard core roadie guy from out of town joins us and I tell him we're mountain bike racers but this is our road training night. He was all dissapointed because he wasn't going to get a good hard ride in. I'm like this is a hard ride you'll work. Remember with dirt bike racing you can't suck wheel for 40 miles then sprint and win. If you win on dirt you earned it. Every race is a race of truth.

After the warmup roll about 3 minutes into hard riding he was off the back. It made me laugh thinking about how much him and his roadie crew circle jerk about out of shape / slow dirt bikers.

That is pretty good, I've been in rides just like it and seen the exact same thing happen. I have also been on road rides when a mountain biker would join the group and you could just tell that he didn't take the roadies serious. A few minutes later he was off the back.

I guess what I'm getting at is you can't really tell how great a rider is by what kind of bike he rides. I'm not putting down roadies, mountain bikers, unicyclists or anyone else for that matter. The truth is the world is full of jerks and people that are full of themselves, some of them are roadies, some of them are mountain bikers. It sucks, we all are on two wheels and we are all out there to get some exercise and to have a good time. It would be nice if we could all just get along, unfortunately that isn't going to happen. I know it doesn't happen where I am at, hell half of the roadies around here are too good for me even when I'm on my roadie, after all, they are on their Trek's and I'm just on my cheap little IF Ti Crown Jewel. :)

While I thoroughly enjoy road and mtb riding, my favorite is definitely mtb. That said, I spend much more time on my road bike. Rain here in the middle of Iowa can trash the trails for days at a time, so quality trail riding can be hard to come by depending on the weather. As long as its reasonable nice out, I can launch off from my garage on my road bike much more frequently, so I seem to spend almost twice as much time on the road bike.

Put me in a dryer climate, and the opposite would be true. While I have lots of good friends in the road circle, I can definitely agree it's a much more "clicky" group.