Heart health: Music is good for your heart

parkerlindsey

Aug 24, 2009
I love listening to music. Im not fussy, any type of music will do. No matter what mood Im in, there is always a song that cheers me up or gets my feet tapping.
They say that music soothes the soul and for us music lovers, it seems that listening to music can also be good for our health.
Music has been found to have stress-relieving benefits on the heart
Researchers have recently found that slow or meditative music has a calming, relaxing effect which in turn helps people slow their breathing and heart rate.
In this study, a team of researchers from the University of Pavia in Italy and the University of Oxford, studied 24 men and women, half of whom had at least seven years of musical training.
During the study, these men and women had their breathing rates, blood pressure and other heart and respiratory indexes monitored while they were listening to a variety of different types of music.
The patients listened to: raga (Indian classical music), Beethovens ninth symphony (slow classical), rap (the Red Hot Chili Peppers), Vivaldi (fast classical), techno (fast electronic dance music), and Anton Webern (slow 12 tone music).
Researchers found that the music with the faster tempo and more complex rhythms increased circulation in the volunteers whereas the slower music had the opposite effect. The Indian raga prompted the greatest fall in heart rate.
The benefits were more evident in those patients who had musical training, most likely due to their training to synchronise breathing with musical phrases. However, that doesnt mean that you have to play an instrument to see these benefits. The group of people who had no musical training did see benefits, but not so dramatically.
Lead researcher, Dr Luciano Bernadi and Professor Peter Sleight, said Appropriate selection of music, by alternative fast and slower rhythms and pauses, can be used to induce relaxation, and so can be potentially useful for cardiovascular disease.
Other research has found that music has stress relieving benefits, can enhance athletic performance and improve movement in neurologically impaired patients.
Even doctors are discovering the benefits of music
Its becoming quite popular in the US and in the UK, for music to be played on sound systems in operating rooms during. Some doctors believe that it relieves tension; and studies have shown that this practice can also benefit the patients.
Anaesthesiologists are typically the ones in charge of the music selection. Although, they are responsible for monitoring the patients vital signs and administering intravenous fluids, they arent as tied to the operating table as the surgeons and nurses and are able to move freely around the room during surgery to change CDs.
Anaesthesiologist, Dr. Frank Gentile in the US, believes that music helps make surgeons work more efficiently. If theyre working faster and theyre happy, the flow of the operating room is happier.
If I ever had to have surgery, my doctors are more than welcome to listen to music. Id rather have relaxed and happy doctors working on me. Wouldnt you?
Music helps patients relax too
Research has even shown that patients who listened to music before and during ambulatory surgery displayed lower stress levels. Ambulatory surgery is when you are admitted and discharged from the hospital on the same day.
Blood pressure normally rises during a surgical procedure, but listening to music helps minimise the rise in blood pressure.
The researchers found that the best results are likely to come from people being able to listen to the music of their choice rather than music thought to be soothing.
So, it appears that listening to music not only relaxes the doctors, but also the patients.
So if I ever do find out I need to have surgery, Im going to put in my music requests as soon as possible.