General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

heart palpations (I'm new)

Started by greenknees · · Last activity · 5 posts · 431 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 December 2003
Last activity
3 December 2003
Original author
greenknees
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
431
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hello I'm new.
    Curious, I have been having these heart palpations off and on for
    quite some time now. It never lasts more than a half an afternoon or
    so. By the time I could get a docotor appointment surely they'd be
    gone. My husband was home yesterday when they started up again. He
    listened with a stethoscope and heard a nice steady beat then a
    disruption, a whoosh, then regular beating again. I have no pain with
    this but I sure can feel it when it's happening. Feels like my heart
    did a flip-flop in my chest. Does this sound familiar to any here?
    Teresa (age 43)

  2. (greenknees) said:

    Hello I'm new.
    Curious, I have been having these heart palpations off and on for
    quite some time now. It never lasts more than a half an afternoon or
    so. By the time I could get a docotor appointment surely they'd be
    gone. My husband was home yesterday when they started up again. He
    listened with a stethoscope and heard a nice steady beat then a
    disruption, a whoosh, then regular beating again. I have no pain with
    this but I sure can feel it when it's happening. Feels like my heart
    did a flip-flop in my chest. Does this sound familiar to any here?
    Teresa (age 43)

    Hello Teresa, Yes, it will be very familiar to a lot of people on this
    group. Perhaps you should ask your doctor to arrange an ECG. If they
    are not happy with that they may suggest an echocardiogram which will
    show if the valves of your heart are in good shape. Personally, I
    think regular bouts of palpitations should always be investigated.
    Mine got very bad, very frightening so I went to the Casualty Dept at
    the local hospital....and thats how the saga began. All the best,
    Diana

  3. greenknees said:

    Hello I'm new.
    Curious, I have been having these heart palpations off and on for
    quite some time now. It never lasts more than a half an afternoon or
    so. By the time I could get a docotor appointment surely they'd be
    gone. My husband was home yesterday when they started up again. He
    listened with a stethoscope and heard a nice steady beat then a
    disruption, a whoosh, then regular beating again. I have no pain with
    this but I sure can feel it when it's happening. Feels like my heart
    did a flip-flop in my chest. Does this sound familiar to any here?
    Teresa (age 43)

    It does.

    Would suggest asking your doctor to refer you to a cardiologist who should
    be able to sort this out for you.

    Humbly,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

  4. [email hidden] (greenknees) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello I'm new.
    Curious, I have been having these heart palpations off and on for
    quite some time now. It never lasts more than a half an afternoon or
    so. By the time I could get a docotor appointment surely they'd be
    gone. My husband was home yesterday when they started up again. He
    listened with a stethoscope and heard a nice steady beat then a
    disruption, a whoosh, then regular beating again. I have no pain with
    this but I sure can feel it when it's happening. Feels like my heart
    did a flip-flop in my chest. Does this sound familiar to any here?
    Teresa (age 43)

    Yes, it sounds familiar to what happened to me about 2 years ago. I'm
    47, male. Two years ago I woke up one night with rapid pulse. I felt
    my pulse on my neck and felt the same sensation in my chest you are
    discribing. It felt like I was missing beats. I followed up with my
    doctor who sent me to a cardiologist for further evaluation. I had a
    nuclear stress test, EKG, and echocardiogram performed. My diagnosis
    was - PVCs. I was assured by the cardiologist that in my case (as in
    many cases of PVCs) the PVCs (Premature Ventricular COntractions) are
    benign. Many people have these and never feel them. All of the tests
    came back negative. However, since there is a family history of heart
    disease, the cardiologist suggested diet and exercise to bring down my
    weight and cholesterol (total at the time was 240). I started Weight
    Watchers and brought my weight down to a healthier 200 lbs. I have
    gained a few pounds back (210 now) but I mostly watch my diet. My
    cholesterol went down to 170 and the ratios looked great. My
    suggestion is to visit your doctor and get a referral to a
    cardiologist. The PVCs did NOT show up on the EKG that was done in
    the doctors office. They did show up on the monitor when I got my
    Stress Test done. An EKG only takes a short sample and it may not run
    long enough to catch the PVC.

    Pete C.

  5. Pete C. said:

    [email hidden] (greenknees) wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Hello I'm new.
    Curious, I have been having these heart palpations off and on for
    quite some time now. It never lasts more than a half an afternoon or
    so. By the time I could get a docotor appointment surely they'd be
    gone. My husband was home yesterday when they started up again. He
    listened with a stethoscope and heard a nice steady beat then a
    disruption, a whoosh, then regular beating again. I have no pain with
    this but I sure can feel it when it's happening. Feels like my heart
    did a flip-flop in my chest. Does this sound familiar to any here?
    Teresa (age 43)

    Yes, it sounds familiar to what happened to me about 2 years ago. I'm
    47, male. Two years ago I woke up one night with rapid pulse. I felt
    my pulse on my neck and felt the same sensation in my chest you are
    discribing. It felt like I was missing beats. I followed up with my
    doctor who sent me to a cardiologist for further evaluation. I had a
    nuclear stress test, EKG, and echocardiogram performed. My diagnosis
    was - PVCs. I was assured by the cardiologist that in my case (as in
    many cases of PVCs) the PVCs (Premature Ventricular COntractions) are
    benign. Many people have these and never feel them. All of the tests
    came back negative. However, since there is a family history of heart
    disease, the cardiologist suggested diet and exercise to bring down my
    weight and cholesterol (total at the time was 240). I started Weight
    Watchers and brought my weight down to a healthier 200 lbs. I have
    gained a few pounds back (210 now) but I mostly watch my diet.

    How tall are you?

    If you are shorter than 6'10", you may still be overweight.

    Would suggest you ask your doctor about:

    http://www.heartmdphd.com/wtloss.asp

    Humbly,

    Andrew

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist
    http://www.heartmdphd.com/

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.