Heart Rate at Rest

I'm not so concerned 2LAP, I'm just trying to figure out the relationships between all these things.

Thanks for the response m8

Ssushi

Cool.

Here is another one for you. Sometimes your ventilatory threshold (where your breathing changes and becomes more regular and frequent) sometimes correlates well with your lactate threshold. Things like dehydration, glycogen depletion, temp, etc. can dissociate it so its not that reliable, but still good to play around with when you do LT pace (not TT pace) training.

Lowest recored heart rate was 27 beats per minute! - not mine but I wish!

Originally posted by zakeen

Was it Indurain? I'm sure he got as low as that in the Tour medical one year. Thats one big heart.

Originally posted by zakeen

Lowest from who? I know a 19 year old with 24 or 25 often and occasionally(when really in shape) 21.

So whats the highest...

My Gran had 112 before going on beta blockers, statins and losing 2+ stone.

Ssushi:

The reason your heart rate was high without much breathing is that you were probably extremely well recovered and rested.

When I am super well rested I can breathe very easy at 175 bpm and my max is 180. I'm getting a little cooked right now, and last night I was suffering (although flying) at 158 bpm.

Heart rates soar when you are well rested, and they stay lower and come up slower when you are doing regular, heavy training. Doing enough intensity and balancing proper rest is a delicate balancing act. When you are tired/overtrained, max heart rate and all thresholds are lower.

That sounds about right JMAT, I'm training 3 days a week at the moment:

Sun - 60 miles
Wed - Indoor intervals (6 * 2 mins + warm up and down)
Fri - 30 miles

I'm finding that I feel good under this regime. It did fee lstrange though to have my HR so high and feel so strong on the bike. Nice!

;0)

Ssushi

I'm 24, weight 145lbs, 5'7.
My highest bpm is 197, my lowest is 47 during the day, 35 when sleeping.
I see a direct corelation to my higher readings when I am out of form or getting sick. I measure the quality of a ride by how high my average hbm rate was.

Very interesting discussion. thanx everyone

Brian

Before I got stck into cycling once more, my RHR was 65. After 4 months of training it is 53. The lowest I have ever measured it is 42 one morning at 2am.

Originally posted by 2LAP
My resting heart rate is 46, taken first thing in the morning siting at the end of the bed.

60 to 80 is common for non athletic people.

A number of things can affect your resting HR measurement, like time of day, previous exercise, food and dehydration. This is inaddition to health, fatigue, age, smoker, obesity, alcohol consumption, etc.

Best measured in the morning when all conditions are the same from day to day.

My resting heart rate, taken first thing in the morning, also sitting at the side of the bed is 48. I recently had a Holter monitor test done which stated my heart rate while in deep sleep was 37. I am subclinical hypothyroid and my doctor is persuing this as the cause of my low sleeping heart rate. I work out at the local gym 60 minutes 6 times per week. Should I be concerned?

My current resting heart rate is 70 but I am about 15 pounds overweight and I am out of shape.

Just started cycling again a few months ago. So I think it will all improve with time :)

I've been thinking about this topic for about two weeks now. One thing I read is that you should average your resting heart rate over 5 days or so (lying down when you wake up in the AM). Then subsequently measure your resting heart rate to monitor your fitness improvements or when you should take more rest days. What measurements should one use to make accurate judgement about improved cycling fitness and when you should rest? How should I use my resting heart rate to measure these factors?

Originally posted by belfast-biker
Should you not be lieing down for RHR?

I was not aware of that, although I have taken it laying down as well and it seem to be the same laying or sitting, many days in a row.

when i was 15-16 and did alot of canoe training and running my resting rate was 42! and now my bike is gonna take me there,
i hope =)

Originally posted by Bolo Grubb
My current resting heart rate is 70 but I am about 15 pounds overweight and I am out of shape.

mine was 58bpm this morning, and I'm oh, 75lbs overweight... work that one out. :)

Originally posted by belfast-biker
mine was 58bpm this morning, and I'm oh, 75lbs overweight... work that one out. :)

128+Kg resting 54bpm. I cycle 150 - 200km per week.