Heart rate monitor, Advice needed

Dr_hush1417

Sep 4, 2009
I'm just recovering from and injury and I'm looking to get a heart rate monitor to step up my training. But I know barely anything about them. Should I go for one that does everything, including my speed, cadence, ect? Or just simply for heart rate? I have a simple computer on my bike already, but again, simple, does little other then distance, and speed.

I've pretty much already made up my mind about getting one that uses a chest strap, not just the watch technology, that's shaky I think. I haven't heard good things about it. I'm sure with enough mulah though, it'd be fine.

So I need opinions on if cadence is a must,
Plus if you think I should get one that allows me to connect to any kind of scheduling program.... also what brand would you recommend, I know polar is good, but I'd like more options. I only know polar and cateye really.

Anyway, as many opinions as possible would be fine with me:)

An all-in-one setup is best. You don't want clutter on your bars and the less things you have to distract, the better. However, I don't pay much attention to what's available in this part of the market. In general there are those which just display HR and other data (like the Trek node), and those which display and save the data for download to a computer later (polar, garmin, etc).

Polar used to be the gold standard in this, but I wasn't particularly happy with the latest HR strap which didn't take long to kill batteries or corrode on the contact studs.

I moved to Garmin, lured by all the bells and whistles of a 705. It is an excellent bike computer, with many customisation options and excellent wireless reception from the HR belt (which has no metal contacts to corrode). But it is poor as a GPS and infuriatingly slow if you want it to direct you on a route.

Right now I like the new Garmin 500. It's well sized, displays and stores ride info, cheaper than the 705. If I didn't already have a 705 I would have bought it instead.

Dr_hush1417 said:
..I'm looking to get a heart rate monitor to step up my training. ..Should I go for one that does everything, including my speed, cadence, ect? Or just simply for heart rate? I have a simple computer on my bike already, but again, simple, does little other then distance, and speed.

I've got the Polar CS300, with the cadence sensor. The HRM as a whole is sensitive to RF interference, when riding along an electrified railway line it get up to all kinds of funnies, like displaying a speed of 63KMH on the flat, on a MTB commuter, with studded tires...

But apart from performance in the presence of power lines I rather like it. I also found the cadence useful, it helps me keep my habit of mashing under control, which together with a switch to shorter cranks have made my knees much happier.

I'd also recommend going for an integrated unit. Specially for me who run lights and the mandatory bell on my bar it's getting quite crowded.

Dr_hush1417 said:
I'm just recovering from and injury and I'm looking to get a heart rate monitor to step up my training. But I know barely anything about them. Should I go for one that does everything, including my speed, cadence, ect? Or just simply for heart rate? I have a simple computer on my bike already, but again, simple, does little other then distance, and speed.

I've pretty much already made up my mind about getting one that uses a chest strap, not just the watch technology, that's shaky I think. I haven't heard good things about it. I'm sure with enough mulah though, it'd be fine.

So I need opinions on if cadence is a must,
Plus if you think I should get one that allows me to connect to any kind of scheduling program.... also what brand would you recommend, I know polar is good, but I'd like more options. I only know polar and cateye really.

Anyway, as many opinions as possible would be fine with me:)

I do not know how much your budget is or how into cycling you are. I had a couple of garmin products and I was/am immensely satisfied with them. I currently use the Garmin Edge 500 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=36728&ra=true) which IMO is the best thing out there. For $350 ($330 online) I don't think that you can get a better GPS/HRM/Computer than this. Also the option of expanding the device with compatible ANT+ devices (thinking powermeter).

But also their low end wrist watch does and amazing watch. I had the Forerunner 50 (still have it). I also think that they don't have that one anymore but they have an upgraded version called the Forerunner 60 (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=27483)

So I hope that this helps (confuses) you. Let me know if you have if you have further questions.

KausBose

Yeah I'm spending a little less... thanks for the advice, we'll see what I can come up with.

I{m not aware of current models but Sigma Sport makes good HRM. I've got two of them and the older one is no less than 10 years old and still works. I has been ridden under rain and no issues. The newer one is at least 6 years old and works flawlessly.
They are a good value. I really don't know what the current models offer but you can check here SIGMA SPORT® online - Bike Computer, Puls Computer, Heart Rate Monitor, Beleuchtung, Lighting, Fahrradbeleuchtung, Fahrradcomputer, Bikecomputer, Pulscomputer
BTW a friend of mine got a Polar and had problems with the chest band, it had to be replaced under warranty. The older one I got also stopped working after some years but the newer one is compatible with both and has had no issues.