Heart Rate Monitor HRM and Electrical EMR Interference

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ian Levit, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. Ian Levit

    Ian Levit Guest

    I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) which stops receiving heart rate transmissions
    from the chest strap, when there is strong electrical interference from power lines. Under normal
    conditions the XT works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use in Northern Virginia, between
    Ashburn and Sterling, the bike trail and the power companies high power lines run in parallel. At
    the point, the XP stops receiving the heart rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once
    and a while, but it is useless.

    My question is, does anyone who has any experience with similar conditions, found an HRM that
    functions better the the Polar XT under these kinds of conditions, that is EMR interference from
    high power electrical lines.

    Thanks

    Ian Levit [email protected]

    > I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) which stops receiving heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there is strong electrical interference from power lines. Under normal conditions the XT works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use in Northern Virginia, between Ashburn and Sterling, the bike trail and the power companies high power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops receiving the heart rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once and a while, but it is useless.
    >
    > My question is, does anyone who has any experience with similar conditions, found an HRM that functions better the the Polar XT under these kinds of conditions, that is EMR interference from high power electrical lines.

    This is a 'normal' condition noted in the fine print of most HRMs I returned my first HRM (A Polar) because it went AWOL when I passed under a high voltage line. I never have tried using one parallel to the power lines. I replaced my Polar with a Sports Instruments ECG5. The ECG5 came with the same warning but unlike the Polar, it never flickers when I pass under the Power lines.

    The ECG5 may be worth a try.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  3. Harv

    Harv Guest

    "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
    > which stops
    receiving
    > heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there
    > is strong electrical interference from power lines.

    Maybe there's nothing wrong with the instrument. Maybe your
    heart is stopping.:eek:)

  4. Trailgalore

    Trailgalore Guest

    "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
    > which stops
    receiving
    > heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there
    > is strong electrical interference from power lines. Under
    > normal conditions the XT works fine, but on a part of the
    > bike trail I use in Northern Virginia, between Ashburn and
    > Sterling, the bike trail and the power companies high
    > power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops
    > receiving the
    heart
    > rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once
    > and a while, but
    it
    > is useless.
    >
    > My question is, does anyone who has any experience
    > with similar
    conditions,
    > found an HRM that functions better the the Polar XT under
    > these kinds of conditions, that is EMR interference from
    > high power electrical lines.

    Just think what that EMR is doing to your body cells, like
    someday some type of cancer?

  5. Ian Levit

    Ian Levit Guest

    Thanks. It appears that Sports Instruments has some new
    HRM's out, that have some very nice features.

    I hope people don't take this as a knock against Polar. It
    is only under the extreme conditions, with all the
    electrical interference, that the Polar doesn't work.
    Otherwise, it has worked well.

    Ian

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
    > > which stops
    receiving
    > > heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when
    > > there is strong electrical interference from power
    > > lines. Under normal conditions the
    XT
    > > works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use in
    > > Northern Virginia, between Ashburn and Sterling, the
    > > bike trail and the power companies
    high
    > > power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops
    > > receiving the
    heart
    > > rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once
    > > and a while,
    but it
    > > is useless.
    > >
    > > My question is, does anyone who has any experience with
    > > similar
    conditions,
    > > found an HRM that functions better the the Polar XT
    > > under these kinds of conditions, that is EMR
    > > interference from high power electrical lines.
    >
    > This is a 'normal' condition noted in the fine print of
    > most HRMs I returned my first HRM (A Polar) because it
    > went AWOL when I passed under a high voltage line. I never
    > have tried using one parallel to the power lines. I
    > replaced my Polar with a Sports Instruments ECG5. The ECG5
    > came with the same warning but unlike the Polar, it never
    > flickers when I pass under the Power lines.
    >
    > The ECG5 may be worth a try.
    >
    > --
    > Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager
    > http://www.clee.org
    > - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    harv wrote:

    > "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
    >>which stops
    >
    > receiving
    >
    >>heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there
    >>is strong electrical interference from power lines.
    >

    > Maybe there's nothing wrong with the instrument. Maybe
    > your heart is stopping.:eek:)

    Harv,

    That was a rather heartless thing to say.

  7. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Ian:

    I have an Xtrainter Plus and always have the same problem
    in that section of the W&OD with the power lines. That is
    some REALLY POWERFUL RF and I'd be really surprised if
    anything worked.

    --
    --Scott
    "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) which stops
    receiving
    > heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there is strong
    > electrical interference from power lines. Under normal conditions the XT
    > works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use in Northern Virginia,
    > between Ashburn and Sterling, the bike trail and the power companies high
    > power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops receiving the
    heart
    > rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once and a while, but
    it
    > is useless.
    >
    > My question is, does anyone who has any experience with similar
    conditions,
    > found an HRM that functions better the the Polar XT under these kinds of
    > conditions, that is EMR interference from high power electrical lines.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ian Levit
    > [email protected]

  8. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Oh I don't know. Just as likely, I suppose, that it
    cures cancer.

    --
    --Scott
    "Trailgalore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) which stops
    > receiving
    > > heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there is strong
    > > electrical interference from power lines. Under normal conditions the
    XT
    > > works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use in Northern Virginia,
    > > between Ashburn and Sterling, the bike trail and the power companies
    high
    > > power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops receiving the
    > heart
    > > rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once and a while,
    but
    > it
    > > is useless.
    > >
    > > My question is, does anyone who has any experience with similar
    > conditions,
    > > found an HRM that functions better the the Polar XT under these kinds of
    > > conditions, that is EMR interference from high power electrical lines.
    >
    > Just think what that EMR is doing to your body cells, like someday some
    type
    > of cancer?

  9. Ian Levit

    Ian Levit Guest

    I ordered a new Sports Instruments HRM, and I should have it
    in a week or so. I will post a report, under this item so
    that it is easy to find, and let you know if it solved the
    problem. My guess is it won't, but it does have some very
    nice features.

    Regards, Ian "Freewheeling"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    berlin.de...
    > Ian:
    >
    > I have an Xtrainter Plus and always have the same problem
    > in that section of the W&OD with the power lines. That is
    > some REALLY POWERFUL RF and I'd be really surprised if
    > anything worked.
    >
    > --
    > --Scott "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > message news:[email protected]...
    > > I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
    > > which stops
    > receiving
    > > heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when
    > > there is strong electrical interference from power
    > > lines. Under normal conditions the
    XT
    > > works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use in
    > > Northern Virginia, between Ashburn and Sterling, the
    > > bike trail and the power companies
    high
    > > power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops
    > > receiving the
    > heart
    > > rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once
    > > and a while,
    but
    > it
    > > is useless.
    > >
    > > My question is, does anyone who has any experience with
    > > similar
    > conditions,
    > > found an HRM that functions better the the Polar XT
    > > under these kinds of conditions, that is EMR
    > > interference from high power electrical lines.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Ian Levit [email protected]

  10. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    I'll be interested to hear the report, whether it solves the
    RF problem or not. BTW, I now live near Quantico which has a
    different RF problem. I've noticed that my HRM registers
    about twice my actual heart rate until I'm well past the
    golf course on the main road into the base. I'm pretty sure
    it's home high frequency interference being caused by the
    spooks. I can't get a cell phone signal either.

    --
    --Scott
    "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I ordered a new Sports Instruments HRM, and I should have it in a week or
    > so. I will post a report, under this item so that it is easy to find, and
    > let you know if it solved the problem. My guess is it won't, but it does
    > have some very nice features.
    >

    > Regards,
    > Ian
    > "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Ian:
    > >
    > > I have an Xtrainter Plus and always have the same problem in that
    section
    > > of the W&OD with the power lines. That is some REALLY POWERFUL RF and
    I'd
    > > be really surprised if anything worked.
    > >
    > > --
    > > --Scott
    > > "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) which stops
    > > receiving
    > > > heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there is strong
    > > > electrical interference from power lines. Under normal conditions the
    > XT
    > > > works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use in Northern
    Virginia,
    > > > between Ashburn and Sterling, the bike trail and the power companies
    > high
    > > > power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops receiving the
    > > heart
    > > > rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once and a while,
    > but
    > > it
    > > > is useless.
    > > >
    > > > My question is, does anyone who has any experience with similar
    > > conditions,
    > > > found an HRM that functions better the the Polar XT under these kinds
    of
    > > > conditions, that is EMR interference from high power electrical lines.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > Ian Levit
    > > > [email protected]

  11. Harv

    Harv Guest

    "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > harv wrote:
    >
    > > "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
    > >>which stops
    > >
    > > receiving
    > >
    > >>heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when
    > >>there is strong electrical interference from power
    > >>lines.
    > >

    > > Maybe there's nothing wrong with the instrument. Maybe
    > > your heart is stopping.:eek:)
    >
    > Harv,
    >
    > That was a rather heartless thing to say.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

    Tom, You really know how to get to the heart of the
    matter. :eek:)

  12. Harv

    Harv Guest

    "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > harv wrote:
    >
    > > "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
    > >>which stops
    > >
    > > receiving
    > >
    > >>heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when
    > >>there is strong electrical interference from power
    > >>lines.
    > >

    > > Maybe there's nothing wrong with the instrument. Maybe
    > > your heart is stopping.:eek:)
    >
    > Harv,
    >
    > That was a rather heartless thing to say.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

    Tom, You really know how to get to the heart of the
    matter. :eek:)

  13. Dan Burkhart

    Dan Burkhart New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2003
    Ialso use a polar ( the very basic single function model). What usually happens when I pass under high voltage lines is an unusually high reading( often in the high 200s) I have also noticed that when I use it indoors, I sometimes get abnormal readings.
    Oops, now I am going to be accused of being a fair weather rider.

  14. Bill Anton

    Bill Anton Guest

    Never had this problem with a HRM, but it's the reason I
    swore off wireless cycle compters. I bought a wireless for
    my MTB back when I lived in Houston. Right at Memorial Dr.
    and Shepherd St. it would cut out due to EM interference.
    When I used to have a 95 Ford Ranger, there were some places
    where I'd drive by and the EM radiation would cause the
    wipers and washers to turn themselves on. Driving by the
    Pantex plant East of Amarillo was always quite an
    experience: Radar detector, wipers, washers, everything
    would go haywire, all due to ambient EM fields.

    --
    Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 26x26 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

    "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
    > which stops
    receiving
    > heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there
    > is strong electrical interference from power lines. Under
    > normal conditions the XT works fine, but on a part of the
    > bike trail I use in Northern Virginia, between Ashburn and
    > Sterling, the bike trail and the power companies high
    > power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops
    > receiving the
    heart
    > rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once
    > and a while, but
    it
    > is useless.
    >
    > My question is, does anyone who has any experience
    > with similar
    conditions,
    > found an HRM that functions better the the Polar XT under
    > these kinds of conditions, that is EMR interference from
    > high power electrical lines.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Ian Levit [email protected]

  15. Freewheeling

    Freewheeling Guest

    Bill:

    > Never had this problem with a HRM, but it's the reason I
    > swore off
    wireless
    > cycle compters. I bought a wireless for my MTB back when I
    > lived in Houston. Right at Memorial Dr. and Shepherd St.
    > it would cut out due to
    EM
    > interference.

    I don't think there is such a thing as a "wired" HRM
    any longer. They used to have them, but those days are
    long gone.

    --
    --Scott

  16. L J B

    L J B Guest

    Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
    > > which stops receiving heart rate transmissions from the
    > > chest strap, when there is strong electrical
    > > interference from power lines. Under normal conditions
    > > the XT works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use
    > > in Northern Virginia, between Ashburn and Sterling, the
    > > bike trail and the power companies high power lines run
    > > in parallel. At the point, the XP stops receiving the
    > > heart rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every
    > > once and a while, but it is useless.
    > >
    > > My question is, does anyone who has any experience with
    > > similar conditions, found an HRM that functions better
    > > the the Polar XT under these kinds of conditions, that
    > > is EMR interference from high power electrical lines.
    >
    > This is a 'normal' condition noted in the fine print of
    > most HRMs I returned my first HRM (A Polar) because it
    > went AWOL when I passed under a high voltage line. I never
    > have tried using one parallel to the power lines. I
    > replaced my Polar with a Sports Instruments ECG5. The ECG5
    > came with the same warning but unlike the Polar, it never
    > flickers when I pass under the Power lines.
    >
    > The ECG5 may be worth a try.
    I bought the ECG5, and it works better for me than the
    Protrainer, thanks for the tip.