Heart Rate Monitor HRM and Electrical EMR Interference

Ian Levit

Guest
I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) which stops receiving heart rate transmissions
from the chest strap, when there is strong electrical interference from power lines. Under normal
conditions the XT works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use in Northern Virginia, between
Ashburn and Sterling, the bike trail and the power companies high power lines run in parallel. At
the point, the XP stops receiving the heart rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once
and a while, but it is useless.

My question is, does anyone who has any experience with similar conditions, found an HRM that
functions better the the Polar XT under these kinds of conditions, that is EMR interference from
high power electrical lines.

Thanks

Ian Levit [email protected].

> I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) which stops receiving heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there is strong electrical interference from power lines. Under normal conditions the XT works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use in Northern Virginia, between Ashburn and Sterling, the bike trail and the power companies high power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops receiving the heart rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once and a while, but it is useless.
>
> My question is, does anyone who has any experience with similar conditions, found an HRM that functions better the the Polar XT under these kinds of conditions, that is EMR interference from high power electrical lines.

This is a 'normal' condition noted in the fine print of most HRMs I returned my first HRM (A Polar) because it went AWOL when I passed under a high voltage line. I never have tried using one parallel to the power lines. I replaced my Polar with a Sports Instruments ECG5. The ECG5 came with the same warning but unlike the Polar, it never flickers when I pass under the Power lines.

The ECG5 may be worth a try.

- Bellaire, TX USA -

"Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
> which stops
receiving
> heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there
> is strong electrical interference from power lines.

Maybe there's nothing wrong with the instrument. Maybe your
heart is stopping.:eek:)

"Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
> which stops
receiving
> heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there
> is strong electrical interference from power lines. Under
> normal conditions the XT works fine, but on a part of the
> bike trail I use in Northern Virginia, between Ashburn and
> Sterling, the bike trail and the power companies high
> power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops
> receiving the
heart
> rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once
> and a while, but
it
> is useless.
>
> My question is, does anyone who has any experience
> with similar
conditions,
> found an HRM that functions better the the Polar XT under
> these kinds of conditions, that is EMR interference from
> high power electrical lines.

Just think what that EMR is doing to your body cells, like
someday some type of cancer?

Thanks. It appears that Sports Instruments has some new
HRM's out, that have some very nice features.

I hope people don't take this as a knock against Polar. It
is only under the extreme conditions, with all the
electrical interference, that the Polar doesn't work.
Otherwise, it has worked well.

Ian

"Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
> > which stops
receiving
> > heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when
> > there is strong electrical interference from power
> > lines. Under normal conditions the
XT
> > works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use in
> > Northern Virginia, between Ashburn and Sterling, the
> > bike trail and the power companies
high
> > power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops
> > receiving the
heart
> > rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once
> > and a while,
but it

harv wrote:

> "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
>>which stops
>
> receiving
>
>>heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there
>>is strong electrical interference from power lines.
>

> Maybe there's nothing wrong with the instrument. Maybe
> your heart is stopping.:eek:)

Harv,

That was a rather heartless thing to say.

Ian:

I have an Xtrainter Plus and always have the same problem
in that section of the W&OD with the power lines. That is
some REALLY POWERFUL RF and I'd be really surprised if
anything worked.

--
--Scott
"Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) which stops
receiving
> heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there is strong
> electrical interference from power lines. Under normal conditions the XT
> works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use in Northern Virginia,
> between Ashburn and Sterling, the bike trail and the power companies high
> power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops receiving the
heart
> rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once and a while, but
it
> is useless.
>
> My question is, does anyone who has any experience with similar
conditions,
> found an HRM that functions better the the Polar XT under these kinds of
> conditions, that is EMR interference from high power electrical lines.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian Levit
> [email protected].

Oh I don't know. Just as likely, I suppose, that it
cures cancer.

--
--Scott
"Trailgalore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) which stops
> receiving
> > heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there is strong
> > electrical interference from power lines. Under normal conditions the
XT
> > works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use in Northern Virginia,
> > between Ashburn and Sterling, the bike trail and the power companies
high
> > power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops receiving the
> heart
> > rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once and a while,
but
> it
> > is useless.
> >
> > My question is, does anyone who has any experience with similar
> conditions,
> > found an HRM that functions better the the Polar XT under these kinds of
> > conditions, that is EMR interference from high power electrical lines.
>
> Just think what that EMR is doing to your body cells, like someday some
type
> of cancer?

I ordered a new Sports Instruments HRM, and I should have it
in a week or so. I will post a report, under this item so
that it is easy to find, and let you know if it solved the
problem. My guess is it won't, but it does have some very
nice features.

Regards, Ian "Freewheeling"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
> Ian:
>
> I have an Xtrainter Plus and always have the same problem
> in that section of the W&OD with the power lines. That is
> some REALLY POWERFUL RF and I'd be really surprised if
> anything worked.
>
> --
> --Scott "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
> > I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
> > which stops
> receiving
> > heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when
> > there is strong electrical interference from power
> > lines. Under normal conditions the
XT
> > works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use in
> > Northern Virginia, between Ashburn and Sterling, the
> > bike trail and the power companies
high
> > power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops
> > receiving the
> heart
> > rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once
> > and a while,
but
> it
> > is useless.
> >
> > My question is, does anyone who has any experience with
> > similar
> conditions,
> > found an HRM that functions better the the Polar XT
> > under these kinds of conditions, that is EMR
> > interference from high power electrical lines.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Ian Levit [email protected].

I'll be interested to hear the report, whether it solves the
RF problem or not. BTW, I now live near Quantico which has a
different RF problem. I've noticed that my HRM registers
about twice my actual heart rate until I'm well past the
golf course on the main road into the base. I'm pretty sure
it's home high frequency interference being caused by the
spooks. I can't get a cell phone signal either.

--
--Scott
"Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I ordered a new Sports Instruments HRM, and I should have it in a week or
> so. I will post a report, under this item so that it is easy to find, and
> let you know if it solved the problem. My guess is it won't, but it does
> have some very nice features.
>

> Regards,
> Ian
> "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Ian:
> >
> > I have an Xtrainter Plus and always have the same problem in that
section
> > of the W&OD with the power lines. That is some REALLY POWERFUL RF and
I'd
> > be really surprised if anything worked.
> >
> > --
> > --Scott
> > "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) which stops
> > receiving
> > > heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there is strong
> > > electrical interference from power lines. Under normal conditions the
> XT
> > > works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use in Northern
Virginia,
> > > between Ashburn and Sterling, the bike trail and the power companies
> high
> > > power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops receiving the
> > heart
> > > rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once and a while,
> but
> > it
> > > is useless.
> > >
> > > My question is, does anyone who has any experience with similar
> > conditions,
> > > found an HRM that functions better the the Polar XT under these kinds
of
> > > conditions, that is EMR interference from high power electrical lines.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > Ian Levit
> > > [email protected].

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> harv wrote:
>
> > "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
> >>which stops
> >
> > receiving
> >
> >>heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when
> >>there is strong electrical interference from power
> >>lines.
> >

> > Maybe there's nothing wrong with the instrument. Maybe
> > your heart is stopping.:eek:)
>
> Harv,
>
> That was a rather heartless thing to say.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Tom, You really know how to get to the heart of the
matter. :eek:)

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> harv wrote:
>
> > "Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
> >>which stops
> >
> > receiving
> >
> >>heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when
> >>there is strong electrical interference from power
> >>lines.
> >

> > Maybe there's nothing wrong with the instrument. Maybe
> > your heart is stopping.:eek:)
>
> Harv,
>
> That was a rather heartless thing to say.
>
> Tom Sherman - Quad Cities (Illinois Side)

Tom, You really know how to get to the heart of the
matter. :eek:)

Originally posted by Ian Levit
I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM) which stops receiving heart rate transmissions
from the chest strap, when there is strong electrical interference from power lines. Under normal
conditions the XT works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use in Northern Virginia, between
Ashburn and Sterling, the bike trail and the power companies high power lines run in parallel. At
the point, the XP stops receiving the heart rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once
and a while, but it is useless.

My question is, does anyone who has any experience with similar conditions, found an HRM that
functions better the the Polar XT under these kinds of conditions, that is EMR interference from
high power electrical lines.

Thanks

Ian Levit [email protected].

Ialso use a polar ( the very basic single function model). What usually happens when I pass under high voltage lines is an unusually high reading( often in the high 200s) I have also noticed that when I use it indoors, I sometimes get abnormal readings.
Oops, now I am going to be accused of being a fair weather rider.

Never had this problem with a HRM, but it's the reason I
swore off wireless cycle compters. I bought a wireless for
my MTB back when I lived in Houston. Right at Memorial Dr.
and Shepherd St. it would cut out due to EM interference.
When I used to have a 95 Ford Ranger, there were some places
where I'd drive by and the EM radiation would cause the
wipers and washers to turn themselves on. Driving by the
Pantex plant East of Amarillo was always quite an
experience: Radar detector, wipers, washers, everything
would go haywire, all due to ambient EM fields.

--
Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 26x26 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

"Ian Levit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
> which stops
receiving
> heart rate transmissions from the chest strap, when there
> is strong electrical interference from power lines. Under
> normal conditions the XT works fine, but on a part of the
> bike trail I use in Northern Virginia, between Ashburn and
> Sterling, the bike trail and the power companies high
> power lines run in parallel. At the point, the XP stops
> receiving the
heart
> rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every once
> and a while, but
it
> is useless.
>
> My question is, does anyone who has any experience
> with similar
conditions,
> found an HRM that functions better the the Polar XT under
> these kinds of conditions, that is EMR interference from
> high power electrical lines.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ian Levit [email protected].

Bill:

> Never had this problem with a HRM, but it's the reason I
> swore off
wireless
> cycle compters. I bought a wireless for my MTB back when I
> lived in Houston. Right at Memorial Dr. and Shepherd St.
> it would cut out due to
EM
> interference.

I don't think there is such a thing as a "wired" HRM
any longer. They used to have them, but those days are
long gone.

--
--Scott

Cletus D. Lee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > I have a Polar Prograiner XP Heart Rate Monitor (HRM)
> > which stops receiving heart rate transmissions from the
> > chest strap, when there is strong electrical
> > interference from power lines. Under normal conditions
> > the XT works fine, but on a part of the bike trail I use
> > in Northern Virginia, between Ashburn and Sterling, the
> > bike trail and the power companies high power lines run
> > in parallel. At the point, the XP stops receiving the
> > heart rate from the transmitter. It may flicker in every
> > once and a while, but it is useless.
> >
> > My question is, does anyone who has any experience with
> > similar conditions, found an HRM that functions better
> > the the Polar XT under these kinds of conditions, that
> > is EMR interference from high power electrical lines.
>
> This is a 'normal' condition noted in the fine print of
> most HRMs I returned my first HRM (A Polar) because it
> went AWOL when I passed under a high voltage line. I never
> have tried using one parallel to the power lines. I
> replaced my Polar with a Sports Instruments ECG5. The ECG5
> came with the same warning but unlike the Polar, it never
> flickers when I pass under the Power lines.
>
> The ECG5 may be worth a try.
I bought the ECG5, and it works better for me than the
Protrainer, thanks for the tip.