Heart Rate monitor or not??

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by cdawnreed, Sep 2, 2004.

1. cdawnreed

cdawnreed New Member

Do you use a heart rate monitor when riding?

Please specify what brand and type when you reply.

Tags:

2. dot

dot New Member

I use Sigma PC-14. It's very cheap and very practical.
    Polars are overhyped and overpriced. I've got one but I don't use it.

3. KakenBetaal

KakenBetaal New Member

Perhaps, but IMO Polar's reputation is worth it. They are real quality equipment.

4. closesupport

closesupport Banned

I use a sigma sport hrm for rides but a cardiosport for interval rides, since it beeps when you exceeding BPM or when recovery rates have been achieved, set time zones (Tz), comes in handy since the limit you set warns you if your exceeding and then beeps when recover rates have been acheived then you can off again.

5. pablo_gg

pablo_gg New Member

ciclosport HAC4 cycle computer with HR monitor gets my vote. Surprised you did not add it to your list :(

6. closesupport

closesupport Banned

i use the cardio sport for running, but comes in handy with Tz's since the watch has a bar mounting, the sigma was a trial thing.

i'm still wondering how i go about measuring power \ watts used

7. dhk

dhk New Member

Me too....the SigmaSport has worked great on all my rides for 2 years now. Just replaced the battery in the watch for the first time. It only shows HR, but it's easy to read and operate.

Have started to track time spent above LT though; this would be a good feature to have on a new HRM. Now I just estimate time above 85-90% when I get home to note in my training diary.

8. Beastt

Beastt New Member

CardioSport Exel Sport PC. It's a bit outdated at this point but I like the sampling fuction which most of the others I've looked at don't have or require some action from the user in order to record a sample. I'm assuming some of the newer Polar monitors have this feature and probably offer far more features overall which is, of course, reflected in the price. I also like the replaceable battery in the transmitter belt. The Polar monitors I've seen require that you purchase a new transmitter belt when the battery dies. Is this still the case?

BTW, CardioSport's tech support is the worst. I bought the PC interface which has never worked properly and no one at their tech support has the slightest clue. It also takes several contacts with them to get a response.

9. closesupport

closesupport Banned

thats what i like about the cardiosport the Record and Recall functions, plus the Tz for interval training. it is a bit out dated i guess since it is nearly 10yrs old now and i purchased it to run with originally. maybe i'll buy something new something that i can download data with but at the minute its all i can offord unfortunately, since i have family commitments which prevent me from going mad with gadjets to assist me.

10. chisa1234

chisa1234 New Member

just bought a ciclosport hac4. fantastic, easy to use, loads of features (countdown x2, temperature, altitude, climb steepness, heart rate, stopwatch, etc, etc, etc)

the plus kit also has loads of software and a cadence kit. all for around £200!

difficult to get your hand on in UK though. i have a link on my blogsite to where i got mine from if anyone is interested.

11. closesupport

closesupport Banned

Ouch! thats out of my price range

12. chisa1234

chisa1234 New Member

you can get the HRM watch without the computer/cadence kit for about £140

13. closesupport

closesupport Banned

its the cadenance thing i want that tells you your rpm does it not?:confused:

14. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

Definitely use an HRM while riding as well as other types of exercise.

I use a Sports Instruments ECG5 that I bought on closeout for around $50. It has a few nifty features that my Polar A5 didn't have, including:
    • Time spent above and below target zone
    • A lap function
    • User replaceable batteries (very nice)

15. dot

dot New Member

Sigma PC-14 also has audio alarms. It beeps once if you are below the zone and twice if you are over the zone. It also can record intervals/lap times with average HR.

16. velomanct

velomanct New Member

not any more. i train with a powertap and that's it. the biggest reason i don't use a HRM is because the strap is uncomfortable, especially when i put it on, its cold.(yes i am a sissy at times)
    after 5 years of riding, i can tell how hard i am working, i don't need a HRM. using a powermeter is excellent for tracking progress.

17. mitosis

mitosis New Member

I used a hrm for so long that i knew how i was training so i left it off. I recently wore mine just for novelty value for the first time in a year and found that i wasn't hurting myself enough, despite being competetive as ever in races.

I've since reset my envelope of comfort.

Even if you think you know how you are training it doesnt hurt to wear the hrm occasionally to confirm your feelings. ;)

18. closesupport

closesupport Banned

mine was given to me after helping a friend with his fitness levels whilst training for the paras.

19. dazzle96

dazzle96 New Member

I have a sigma fitwatch.
    records Ave/ Max/ HR, Time in any 3 adustable zones, Total training time, Recovery HR ove 5 minutes, Kcals, and has a Rockport fitness test (which is bollox).
    Not bad for £65 (less than a Polar A5)

20. dhk

dhk New Member

Took my Sigma PC-3 off yesterday for a metric Century. First ride I've done this year without it. We had good weather, so figured I'd just go out hard with the lead pack and see how long I could hang with them. Ended up finishing the whole ride without dropping off; in fact, beat up on a couple of my riding buddies who joked I'd been sandbagging them all season.

I probably was over 85% of max HR for most of the 62 miles, but it was big fun to hammer for once with the pack and not worry about the redline. I'm taking a couple of days to recover, and will have the HRM back on for my training ride on Thursday.