Heart Rate monitor or not??

dazzle96 said:
I have a sigma fitwatch.
records Ave/ Max/ HR, Time in any 3 adustable zones, Total training time, Recovery HR ove 5 minutes, Kcals, and has a Rockport fitness test (which is bollox).
Not bad for £65 (less than a Polar A5)
i went into blackurn on sunday through standish\camelot\euxton\buxton clayton le woods back around to edgerton and belle mount, do you ride around there???

closesupport said:
i went into blackurn on sunday through standish\camelot\euxton\buxton clayton le woods back around to edgerton and belle mount, do you ride around there???
Not really. If I'm on the road bike tend either to do repetetive laps round part of town or head for the Ribble Valley.
Although sometimes I might pootle down the canal on the mtb and end up at haigh hall.
Never really thought of heading that way on the roadie, which is strange as I used to work in Leyland, so I know the area quite well.

So it looks like I am the only Cateye user here. This (CC-HB100) is a very convenient combined bike computer and monitor in one casing - cost less than $100 at the time too.

By the way, for European riders, the German Aldi supermarket chain has something similar (Bikemate) on special offer - though not quite as neat, for 19:50 Euros! This includes a wireless wheel pickup and the wireless chest strap - very easy to fit.:)

I use a Polar A3, its simple and easy to use but does lack the functions of a more expensive Polar model. My only frustration is it doesnt always tell me what I want to see.

Dave :D

dazzle96 said:
Not really. If I'm on the road bike tend either to do repetetive laps round part of town or head for the Ribble Valley.
Although sometimes I might pootle down the canal on the mtb and end up at haigh hall.

Never really thought of heading that way on the roadie, which is strange as I used to work in Leyland, so I know the area quite well.
i like riding in euxton and around buxton area the roads seam alot smoother i dont think i saw a set of trafic lights for miles, although i did come across a numer of round abouts,

i used to run that length of the top lock haighhall to edgerton stretch, so i know where you mean, if memory serves me correctly, from the final lock at wheelton to blackurn is another 16 miles.

i usually go into haighhall when its raining, just to spin from the gates to the hall since the best part o the path is under tree growth, then sprint around to the main gates.

I got a Sports Instruments Circuit 7 on clearance; maybe not a popular brand, but lot's of options & had it for 2-3 yrs & it still works; guess that's all that counts.

Just got a Cardiosport Impulse 12 from performance for $40.00. I'm cheap & I know it. :D

Used it for the first time yesterday & I liked it. Seems I've been riding in my right zone naturally but do plan on picking it up a notch or 2 next week.

wyllisx2 said:
Just got a Cardiosport Impulse 12 from performance for $40.00. I'm cheap & I know it. :D

Used it for the first time yesterday & I liked it. Seems I've been riding in my right zone naturally but do plan on picking it up a notch or 2 next week.
they are helpfull the Tz as long as you don't encounter hills or traffic lights thats when the beep gets annoying. :)

I'm about to step up (way up) to a Cateye TR100 - HR/Cadence/etc. with lap recording (I ride on a 3 mile track) and downloading ability (I'm a nerd). I'm excited! Anyone have one of these?

Between my obsolete Cardiosport Exel Sport PC heart rate monitor and my Shimano Flight Deck I have;

HRM:
·Current Heart Rate
·Two target zones
·Target Zone Alarm
·Heart Rate Sampling (120 samples)
·Adjustable sampling intervals
·Total time In Zone
·Total time Above Zone
·Total time Below Zone
·Averge HR while In, Above and Below Zone
·Heart Rate Recovery time
·Ride Duration
VIA SOFTWARE
·Heart Rate Graphing
·Approximate Calories Burned
·Heart Rate Histogram
·Storage of Data for every Ride

Flight Deck
·Speed
·Current Gear/Ratio
·Distance
·Cadence
·Stopwatch
·Stopwatch distance
·Stopwatch max speed
·Stopwatch avg speed
·Lap Count
·Time of day
·Ride Duration
·Odometer
·Average Speed​

Geekish? Maybe, but riding for the numbers keeps in interesting.

Beastt said:
Between my obsolete Cardiosport Exel Sport PC heart rate monitor and my Shimano Flight Deck I have;

HRM:
·Current Heart Rate

·Two target zones
·Target Zone Alarm
·Total time In Zone
·Total time Above Zone
·Total time Below Zone

·Ride Duration
VIA SOFTWARE

·Heart Rate Graphing
·Heart Rate Histogram

Flight Deck
·Speed

·Current Gear/Ratio
·Distance
·Cadence

·Stopwatch
·Stopwatch distance

·Stopwatch max speed
·Stopwatch avg speed
·Lap Count

·Time of day
·Ride Duration
·Odometer
·Average Speed

THATS WHAT I HAVE THE CARDIO SPORT EXEL, AND IT MUST BE SOME 10YRS OLD :) I AIN'T SURE IF OR HOW YOU CAN USE SOFTWARE.

closesupport said:
THATS WHAT I HAVE THE CARDIO SPORT EXEL, AND IT MUST BE SOME 10YRS OLD :) I AIN'T SURE IF OR HOW YOU CAN USE SOFTWARE.

There is a difference between the Cardiosport Exel Sport PC and the Cardiosport Exel Sport. The main difference being the docking bay which is optional for the "PC" version. The idea is to be able to upload the data from the HRM to a computer. I couldn't afford both the HRM and docking module when I bought mine but did find the extra module a year or so later on sale. I had written my own software since I couldn't afford theirs and transferred the data by hand. Once I received the Cardiosport docking module, I found it to be so outdated that apparently it doesn't work with anything newer than Windows 95 or possibly, Windows 3.1. The company has no clue about any of that. I'm guessing that they contracted with someone to write the software and once the contract was up, tech-support became history. Anyway, since I can enter the data into my own software and see a heart rate graph or compare graphs from different rides as well as recall all the data for each ride, the only real reason to use the commercial software is for the calorie estimate and the histogram. I wrote an additional program to transfer the data from my data-base files to theirs so I don't have to enter the information twice.

Have a Flight Deck on my bike and was concerned about picking up a heart monitor. Since both are wireless I thought maybe they might interfere with each other. Anyone have any words of wisdom about this subject?

joule said:
Have a Flight Deck on my bike and was concerned about picking up a heart monitor. Since both are wireless I thought maybe they might interfere with each other. Anyone have any words of wisdom about this subject?
Digital or Analogue communication. unless they are both operating the same frequency then no they shouldn't, that goes for either, but if the signals that are being used are very close together + or - 5khz then yes you could receive interfierence, as for shannon hartley who states that digital frequencies should be transmitted 2x the frequency to prevent ailianization (interfierence).

easiest way to ensure you dont receive interfierence is use one digital and the other an analogue signal, that way your guaranteed no interfierence.

closesupport said:
Digital or Analogue communication. unless they are both operating the same frequency then no they shouldn't, that goes for either, but if the signals that are being used are very close together + or - 5khz then yes you could receive interfierence, as for shannon hartley who states that digital frequencies should be transmitted 2x the frequency to prevent ailianization (interfierence).

easiest way to ensure you dont receive interfierence is use one digital and the other an analogue signal, that way your guaranteed no interfierence.
There lies the rub... Shimano does not publish any technical details on the unit. Just finished a google search and came up with nothing other than someone else here asked the same question namely "What frequency does the Flight Deck operation on?".

Course the owner's manual does not say, tho I could read it in 13 different languages! lol

Well the good news... Seems Polar has a program where you can use one for a week for free. Might look into that.

Beastt said:

HRM:
·Current Heart Rate

·Two target zones
·Target Zone Alarm
·Total time In Zone
·Total time Above Zone
·Total time Below Zone

·Ride Duration
VIA SOFTWARE

·Heart Rate Graphing
·Heart Rate Histogram

Flight Deck
·Speed

·Current Gear/Ratio
·Distance
·Cadence

·Stopwatch
·Stopwatch distance

·Stopwatch max speed
·Stopwatch avg speed
·Lap Count

·Time of day
·Ride Duration
·Odometer
·Average Speed

I'm a confirmed geek:D . As a scuba diving enthusiast, I have a computer that records all pertinent (and some impertinent:p ) data and allows me to download and record a dive profile on my PC. I love it! As a cyclist returning to the sport after a hiatus of many years, I am delighted to find a smorgasbord of techie stuff for cyclists. I am in the process of outfitting my new Giant Cypress SL. Of course I have to have a HRM! Great thread for all the pros and cons. Of course, I had to have the automatic toilet bowl cleaner also..and the robotic vacuum cleaner...somebody help me!:eek:

joule said:
There lies the rub... Shimano does not publish any technical details on the unit. Just finished a google search and came up with nothing other than someone else here asked the same question namely "What frequency does the Flight Deck operation on?".

Course the owner's manual does not say, tho I could read it in 13 different languages! lol

Well the good news... Seems Polar has a program where you can use one for a week for free. Might look into that.
joule said:

erm! HNC Student in telecommunications and networking, one of the modules completed was Signals. but like i stated unless they are running very close frequencies you wouldn't experience interfierence, but you could remove that factor and use ANALOGUE or DIGITAL siganling techniques.

my SIGMA HRT MONITOR ETC IS DIGITAL
my CARDIO sport Excel is analogue i can wear them both at the same time, unfortunately i can't pick both signals up on both head units.

Grits said:
I'm a confirmed geek:D . As a scuba diving enthusiast, I have a computer that records all pertinent (and some impertinent:p ) data and allows me to download and record a dive profile on my PC. I love it! As a cyclist returning to the sport after a hiatus of many years, I am delighted to find a smorgasbord of techie stuff for cyclists. I am in the process of outfitting my new Giant Cypress SL. Of course I have to have a HRM! Great thread for all the pros and cons. Of course, I had to have the automatic toilet bowl cleaner also..and the robotic vacuum cleaner...somebody help me!:eek:
truthfully what purpose does that have! i find half the time that i would just prefare a large speedo that tells me if i'm going slow or fast, if my legs don't hurt then i can go faster.

i find alot of the time i'll glimpse at the HRM only when i'm recovering, so when its back down to 130 then i'm off again, when its 180 - 185 you can tell if your going faster or slower, as for gears on a flightdeck?

have you not got a kneck that you can bend, just to glimpse at the cassette?