Heart Rate Monitor Question

Pete

Guest
My Polar HRT monitor has all of a sudden gone crazy when I first set it.
HR goes through the roof, then settles down after 15 minutes or so.
Whats happened ? and what should I do, as its annoying.
Thankyou kindly,
Peter

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My Polar HRT monitor has all of a sudden gone crazy when I first set

it.
> HR goes through the roof, then settles down after 15 minutes or so.
> Whats happened ? and what should I do, as its annoying.

Other HRMs nearby will cause craziness as will trams.
Depending on the quality of your HRM (more expensive
Polars are individually coded so as not to interfere with
others) it will most likely happen with trams going by. It
could also be breaking contact with your chest.

hippy

Pete wrote:
> My Polar HRT monitor has all of a sudden gone crazy when I first set it.
> HR goes through the roof, then settles down after 15 minutes or so.
> Whats happened ? and what should I do, as its annoying.
> Thankyou kindly,
> Peter

Yep, had the same problem with mine. Try giving the chest strap a good
clean in the grooves where sweat etc gathers. I used a metal skewer and
soapy water. I also found that wetting my chest and the strap beforehand
would get it off to a good start but eventually even that wasn't as good
as actually cleaning it.
DaveB

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]
> > Other HRMs nearby will cause craziness as will trams.
> > Depending on the quality of your HRM (more expensive
> > Polars are individually coded so as not to interfere with
> > others) it will most likely happen with trams going by. It
> > could also be breaking contact with your chest.
> >

> how the heck do you avoid powerlines?

I've not had trouble with powerlines with my S710.
Trams cause it havoc and sometimes other riders
do too (even with the unique code feature).

Maybe high voltage lines cause some problems
for some HRMs.. but I've not noticed it with
mine. yet.

hippy

"Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My Polar HRT monitor has all of a sudden gone crazy when I first set it.
> HR goes through the roof, then settles down after 15 minutes or so.
> Whats happened ? and what should I do, as its annoying.
> Thankyou kindly,
> Peter

Hi Peter
I know the same problem and it irritates me.
I've found that it usually happens when I've drunk coffee earlier in the
day. Just do a warm-up for the first few minutes until your pulse rythym
stabilises.

Marty

Pete wrote:
> My Polar HRT monitor has all of a sudden gone crazy when I first set it.
> HR goes through the roof, then settles down after 15 minutes or so.
> Whats happened ? and what should I do, as its annoying.
> Thankyou kindly,
> Peter

Sounds like a contact problem - once you start sweating everything seems
ok. Give the transmitter a good clean, and wet your chest before you use
it. Or get a tube of the conducting gel stuff they use in hospitals when
they are applying the monitor pads, I've heard this works a treat.

- Mark Munk3y

"Munk3y" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Pete wrote:
>> My Polar HRT monitor has all of a sudden gone crazy when I first set
>> it. HR goes through the roof, then settles down after 15 minutes or
>> so. Whats happened ? and what should I do, as its annoying.
>> Thankyou kindly,

> Sounds like a contact problem - once you start sweating everything
> seems ok. Give the transmitter a good clean, and wet your chest
> before you use it. Or get a tube of the conducting gel stuff they use
> in hospitals when they are applying the monitor pads, I've heard this
> works a treat.

It's called K-Y. You can even get it at Coles these days. My, how times
have changed.

--

A: Top-posters.

>>Sounds like a contact problem - once you start sweating everything
>>seems ok. Give the transmitter a good clean, and wet your chest
>>before you use it. Or get a tube of the conducting gel stuff they use
>>in hospitals when they are applying the monitor pads, I've heard this
>>works a treat.

> It's called K-Y. You can even get it at Coles these days. My, how times
> have changed.

Yes, when you go to Coles make sure you tell the checkout chick that you
are going to smear the KY on yourself, strap something to your chest and
then run around the park. Otherwise she might think you are some kind of
pervert or something.

- Mark Munk3y

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7295&item=3689665649&rd=1

>Marty Wallace
>>flyingdutch
>> http://tinyurl.com/6knzd
>
>Goodness me, that's two months beer money!
>I couldn't afford that.

It _is_ almost top of the range..

I can vouch for the fact that most people will not use most of the
features.

hippy
'you can't use all of the features all of the time, but, you can use some
of the features some of the time'