Heart rate monitor question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ian Walker, Mar 10, 2003.

  1. Ian Walker

    Ian Walker Guest

    I've got a heart-rate monitor (a Polar A5, I think) and have started using it for training rides.
    I'm intrigued by the "calories burnt" measure. How accurate do you think this will be? Might it be
    based on runners rather than cyclists or something? Or would this not matter?

    Ian

    --
    Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

    Tags:

  2. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Ian Walker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > I've got a heart-rate monitor (a Polar A5, I think) and have started using it for training rides.
    > I'm intrigued by the "calories burnt" measure. How accurate do you think this will be? Might it be
    > based on runners rather than cyclists or something? Or would this not matter?
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > --
    > Ian Walker Remove the yummy paste in my address to reply. Homepage: http://www.drianwalker.com

    I think you'll find that with a 15% margin either side you can go by the reading. I have read
    somewhere that it is more accurate for cycling than it is for running?

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  3. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Ian Walker <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I've got a heart-rate monitor (a Polar A5, I think) and have started using it for training rides.
    > I'm intrigued by the "calories burnt" measure. How accurate do you think this will be? Might it be
    > based on runners rather than cyclists or something? Or would this not matter?

    i find it hard to believe it's worth much, I suppose it might give a reasonable comparative measure
    between workouts for the same person but I can't believe the absolute values are much use unless you
    can do a lot of calibration. Perhaps you could try using on equipment that also indicates calorific
    output, and see how well the numbers correlate?

    James