heart rate monitor question



R

Rick Johnston

Guest
I have been thinking about purchasing a heart rate monitor. However, almost all of the ones I see
use a sensor that goes around the chest, along with a separate watch. I was hoping to find one that
used the wrist or finger and was a single unit. Is such a monitor available, how accurate is it, and
what cost?

Thanks, RJ
 
G

Garyg

Guest
"Rick Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have been thinking about purchasing a heart rate monitor. However,
almost
> all of the ones I see use a sensor that goes around the chest, along with
a
> separate watch. I was hoping to find one that used the wrist or finger
and
> was a single unit. Is such a monitor available, how accurate is it, and what cost?
>
> Thanks, RJ
>

The chest sensor models are by far the most common design. I think they are also inherently more
accurate than wrist or finger models, because they sense the electrical activity associated with
your heart. I've used them for years, and they are (for the most part) quite comfortable.

--GG-- http://www.shastasoftware.com - Shasta Software - Consulting, Design, and Programming
Services http://www.CycliStats.com - CycliStats - Software for Cyclists http://www.StrideWare.com -
StrideWare - Software for Runners and Walkers
 
J

John Dunlop

Guest
GaryG wrote:

> The chest sensor models are by far the most common design. I think they are also inherently more
> accurate than wrist or finger models, because they sense the electrical activity associated with
> your heart.

I've only just learned of these pulse monitors, or "finger models" as you say, and must admit I
can't see they're of any great benefit, other than, perhaps, not having to strap something around
your chest.

So these finger models don't measure your heart rate constantly, but only when you press your
fingertips against a sensor. Is that right?

> I've used them for years, and they are (for the most part) quite comfortable.

After a couple of minutes wear, you hardly notice it, I'd say, as long as it fits snugly.

--
Jock
 
R

Rick Johnston

Guest
Hi Folks:

Well, I took your advice and bought a cheaper Polar chest unit today. I then came home and walked 7
miles. Other than being quite tired and having a blister on the bottom of my right foot, I felt
pretty good overall when finished, and I was able to monitor my hr the entire time and kept it under
160. It took 5 minutes or so for the unit to start registering when I started but I think this was
because I forgot to wet it, substituting body sweat instead.

Thanks again, RJ

"Rick Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I have been thinking about purchasing a heart rate monitor. However,
almost
> all of the ones I see use a sensor that goes around the chest, along with
a
> separate watch. I was hoping to find one that used the wrist or finger
and
> was a single unit. Is such a monitor available, how accurate is it, and what cost?
>
> Thanks, RJ
 
G

Garyg

Guest
"Rick Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi Folks:
>
> Well, I took your advice and bought a cheaper Polar chest unit today. I then came home and walked
> 7 miles. Other than being quite tired and
having
> a blister on the bottom of my right foot, I felt pretty good overall when finished, and I was able
> to monitor my hr the entire time and kept it
under
> 160. It took 5 minutes or so for the unit to start registering when I started but I think this
> was because I forgot to wet it, substituting body sweat instead.

Just lick the pickups on the chest strap before putting it on. That seems to work for me 100%
of the time.

> Thanks again, RJ
>
> "Rick Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I have been thinking about purchasing a heart rate monitor. However,
> almost
> > all of the ones I see use a sensor that goes around the chest, along
with
> a
> > separate watch. I was hoping to find one that used the wrist or finger
> and
> > was a single unit. Is such a monitor available, how accurate is it, and what cost?
> >
> > Thanks, RJ
> >
>