heart rate monitor question

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Rick Johnston, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. I have been thinking about purchasing a heart rate monitor. However, almost all of the ones I see
    use a sensor that goes around the chest, along with a separate watch. I was hoping to find one that
    used the wrist or finger and was a single unit. Is such a monitor available, how accurate is it, and
    what cost?

    Thanks, RJ

    Tags:

  2. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "Rick Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have been thinking about purchasing a heart rate monitor. However,
    almost
    > all of the ones I see use a sensor that goes around the chest, along with
    > separate watch. I was hoping to find one that used the wrist or finger
    and
    > was a single unit. Is such a monitor available, how accurate is it, and what cost?
    >
    > Thanks, RJ

    The chest sensor models are by far the most common design. I think they are also inherently more
    accurate than wrist or finger models, because they sense the electrical activity associated with
    your heart. I've used them for years, and they are (for the most part) quite comfortable.

    --GG-- http://www.shastasoftware.com - Shasta Software - Consulting, Design, and Programming
    Services http://www.CycliStats.com - CycliStats - Software for Cyclists http://www.StrideWare.com -
    StrideWare - Software for Runners and Walkers

  3. John Dunlop

    John Dunlop Guest

    GaryG wrote:

    > The chest sensor models are by far the most common design. I think they are also inherently more
    > accurate than wrist or finger models, because they sense the electrical activity associated with
    > your heart.

    I've only just learned of these pulse monitors, or "finger models" as you say, and must admit I
    can't see they're of any great benefit, other than, perhaps, not having to strap something around
    your chest.

    So these finger models don't measure your heart rate constantly, but only when you press your
    fingertips against a sensor. Is that right?

    > I've used them for years, and they are (for the most part) quite comfortable.

    After a couple of minutes wear, you hardly notice it, I'd say, as long as it fits snugly.

    --
    Jock

  4. Hi Folks:

    Well, I took your advice and bought a cheaper Polar chest unit today. I then came home and walked 7
    miles. Other than being quite tired and having a blister on the bottom of my right foot, I felt
    pretty good overall when finished, and I was able to monitor my hr the entire time and kept it under
    160. It took 5 minutes or so for the unit to start registering when I started but I think this was
    because I forgot to wet it, substituting body sweat instead.

    Thanks again, RJ

    "Rick Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have been thinking about purchasing a heart rate monitor. However,
    almost
    > all of the ones I see use a sensor that goes around the chest, along with
    > separate watch. I was hoping to find one that used the wrist or finger
    and
    > was a single unit. Is such a monitor available, how accurate is it, and what cost?
    >
    > Thanks, RJ

  5. Garyg

    Garyg Guest

    "Rick Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Folks:
    >
    > Well, I took your advice and bought a cheaper Polar chest unit today. I then came home and walked
    > 7 miles. Other than being quite tired and
    having
    > a blister on the bottom of my right foot, I felt pretty good overall when finished, and I was able
    > to monitor my hr the entire time and kept it
    under
    > 160. It took 5 minutes or so for the unit to start registering when I started but I think this
    > was because I forgot to wet it, substituting body sweat instead.

    Just lick the pickups on the chest strap before putting it on. That seems to work for me 100%
    of the time.