Heart Rate Monitor Recommendations

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by pjbphd, Feb 11, 2005.

  1. pjbphd

    pjbphd Guest

    Can anyone suggest a good heart rate monitor? I have an older model Polar
    in the past but I'm looking to upgrade to a model that retains data that I
    can download into my computer. It want to be able to review and monitor my
    rate while I do a variety of exercises including running, bicycling, and
    using cardio machines at the gym.

    I see Timex, Nike, and others are in the business. Any recommendations on
    recent models are advancements?

    Thanks in advance.

    McGinty

    --
    Too many spams have forced me to alter my email. If you wish to email me
    directly please send messages to pjbphd @ cox dot net

    Tags:

  2. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    pjbphd wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a good heart rate monitor? I have an older model

    Polar
    > in the past but I'm looking to upgrade to a model that retains data

    that I
    > can download into my computer. It want to be able to review and

    monitor my
    > rate while I do a variety of exercises including running, bicycling,

    and
    > using cardio machines at the gym.
    >
    > I see Timex, Nike, and others are in the business. Any

    recommendations on
    > recent models are advancements?

    Polar is a company that specializes in HRMs. They are built to last.
    Here's a link to a comparison tool that will help you decide which one
    is best for you.

    http://tinyurl.com/4nqxj

    Phil M.

  3. The Star Trac treadmills at my work read my polar transmiter. Thats
    nice since you don't have to keep looking at your watch. This is
    especialy helpfull doing speedwork on the treadmill. I still use the
    wrist watch that came with it to review avg hr, laps etc...

  4. "The Star Trac treadmills at my work read my polar transmiter. Thats
    nice since you don't have to keep looking at your watch. This is
    especialy helpfull doing speedwork on the treadmill. I still use the
    wrist watch that came with it to review avg hr, laps etc..."
    ~ Greyhound

    "Greyhound? Got surround sound,
    Or just a cavity, a ribbed cage
    Of Light? Or perhaps, you know of a certain Grille
    Sited in Morning Wood,
    Where together,
    We drink Grenadine? Just a splash ~
    Over crystal rocks, a Water
    Ford, a sparking way, silvery sprays
    Of mist, gulps of love,
    Gulfs of Blew?
    O, but if you knew,
    You would be sure to tell me, would you not?
    For if not, how very selfish
    Of you."
    ~ Moi

  5. Rob Wesley

    Rob Wesley Guest

    pjbphd wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a good heart rate monitor? I have an older model Polar
    > in the past but I'm looking to upgrade to a model that retains data that I
    > can download into my computer. It want to be able to review and monitor my
    > rate while I do a variety of exercises including running, bicycling, and
    > using cardio machines at the gym.
    >
    > I see Timex, Nike, and others are in the business. Any recommendations on
    > recent models are advancements?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > McGinty

    I have a Polar 720i, I use it for biking and cardio machines (elliptical
    trainers, mostly) at the gym. The thing I find nice about it is that
    you can download the exercise details to a PC for tracking. I got it
    new on e-bay. HTH.

    rww

  6. HardwareLust

    HardwareLust Guest

    "pjbphd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Can anyone suggest a good heart rate monitor? I have an older model Polar
    > in the past but I'm looking to upgrade to a model that retains data that I
    > can download into my computer. It want to be able to review and monitor

    my
    > rate while I do a variety of exercises including running, bicycling, and
    > using cardio machines at the gym.
    >
    > I see Timex, Nike, and others are in the business. Any recommendations on
    > recent models are advancements?

    I've tried a couple of other brands of HRM's, and none of them worked as
    well as the Polar do. I would stay away from the S410 if you're interested
    in downloading. Some people have had problems with them. IIRC, the S610
    was designed specifically for runners, and has much more robust downloading
    features. I don't need the cyclometer functions (I use a powertap or a
    specialized pro for those) on the more expensive polar's, so the S610 works
    well for everything else.

    I don't know which Polar models have it now, but they do have a new chest
    strap where the sensor pads are cloth as opposed to plastic. If you have
    sensitive skin (or run and train for ultra's), this may be worth
    investigating. I know some people complain of chafing with the polar chest
    straps. When this current strap I have wears out, I'll definitely be
    looking to upgrade to the new strap.

    Overstock.com had the cheapest prices on Polar S610, but they're stocking is
    spotty, and as long as you're not in a hurry to get it.

    Regards,
    H.

  7. Dot

    Dot Guest

    pjbphd wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a good heart rate monitor? I have an older model Polar
    > in the past but I'm looking to upgrade to a model that retains data that I
    > can download into my computer. It want to be able to review and monitor my
    > rate while I do a variety of exercises including running, bicycling, and
    > using cardio machines at the gym.
    >
    > I see Timex, Nike, and others are in the business. Any recommendations on
    > recent models are advancements?

    I like my Polar S625x. I was looking mainly for a hrm that could store
    multiple training sets until I could download them (so I could separate
    different portions of multiple-activity workout), barometric altimeter
    (for elevation gain / loss and plotting against hr), and accelerometer
    for estimating total distance run. It also has some optional cycling
    features that I haven't gotten.

    I defintely like the infrared link connection as compared with the sonic
    link of the S410 that I just upgraded from. (had a few glitches
    originally, but once I got it sorted out, it works great.)

    It obviously doesn't have some of the advantages of a gps unit where I
    can map trails and use regardless of activity - running, mtn biking, xc
    skiing, snowshoeing. It has advantage of not depending on satellite
    signal. I'll take a gps with me on all long runs (or ski, snowshoe,
    etc), and use the footpod if running. Since I run trails most of the
    time, I'm happy with distance estimates within 5-10% of actual value -
    just for logging value, since my alternative may be guesstimating from
    inaccurate map or throwing darts. I run by time and effort so real-time
    pace is not of interest to me.

    The altimeter has worked surprisingly well on rolling hills (30-70 ft
    vertical) with the obvious issues of barometric altimeters when a front
    comes through. I wasn't sure if it would be sensitive enough for those
    small hills so have been pleasantly surprised. (I use 15-sec recording
    intervals to eliminate some of the noise of 5-sec intervals).

    <If not interested in distance measurements, stop here.>

    The footpod may be larger than some other brands, but it hasn't bothered
    my feet for gentle hills (may on steeper but not sure). Since it arrived
    during our first snow in October, I haven't had an opportunity to
    calibrate it on dry ground on a section line road (with gravel
    shoulder). But curiousity got the better of me, and I have used it
    uncalibrated while running on hard-packed snow (not too different from
    dirt).

    For simple terrain, it seems to be within about 3% of my best
    guesstimate of overall distance - out of the box. For some trails, I've
    had either a map with "measured" (not sure exact methods, but reported
    in 1-m increments) distances between intersections or some mile posts
    (clueless as to accuracy but they're at start of Iditarod Trail). For
    other trails I may just have a route on map or a gps distance. At any
    rate, for most conditions for total distance, values are within about 3%
    of each other most of the time - occasionally out to 5%, many times
    within 0-1% of alternate best guess. I've found it really handy for the
    ice we've had the last few weeks when I've just been running laps up and
    back in a mowed hay field (grass covers ice) - distances on each lap
    were reasonably repeatable, given I may not have been running exactly
    the same place. I also ended up with a little bushwhacking in a
    snowstorm (don't ask) with it the other evening, with reasonable
    results. Its distance estimates are close enough to any other estimate
    that I have, that I just use it now for running.

    Not sure how it will do on our regular hills (10-30%) when I have a good
    surface, but suspect it will be off there - but may cancel out by the
    time I go up and down.

    I haven't used it on twisty single track yet. I don't think I had good
    results on loose snow on 20%+ slope, but I didn't have any real results
    to compare it to. It was 1/2 step back for each step up, and a
    landmarkless location where I turned around.

    Dot

    --
    "You try to slow down and enjoy it. You try to look at the scenery. But
    your brain can kind of go blank. All you want to do is tell your feet to

  8. On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:14:41 GMT, "HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I don't know which Polar models have it now, but they do have a new chest
    >strap where the sensor pads are cloth as opposed to plastic. If you have
    >sensitive skin (or run and train for ultra's), this may be worth
    >investigating. I know some people complain of chafing with the polar chest
    >straps. When this current strap I have wears out, I'll definitely be
    >looking to upgrade to the new strap.

    Be aware that the "new" coded Polar chest strap with replaceable battery
    has a weaker transmitter (even with a new battery) than the older coded
    Polar chest strap with non-replaceable battery. YMMV.

  9. For further information on various models and companies, go to
    www.heartmonitors.com. You should note that Nike and Timex do not design
    the technology themselves. They usually use Polar's technology in their
    products. Polar and Cardiosport are probably the two largest
    manufactures in the industry.
    Bill

    pjbphd wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a good heart rate monitor? I have an older model Polar
    > in the past but I'm looking to upgrade to a model that retains data that I
    > can download into my computer. It want to be able to review and monitor my
    > rate while I do a variety of exercises including running, bicycling, and
    > using cardio machines at the gym.
    >
    > I see Timex, Nike, and others are in the business. Any recommendations on
    > recent models are advancements?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > McGinty

  10. waves2ya

    waves2ya Guest

    The new Polar Percision Performance software rocks; has eliminated the
    sonic link probs I had with pathetic Coach PC.